    Has anyone heard or had this before?

    Many Thanks

    Russell Oakes

    Russell Oakes, Dec 1, 2003

  2. Russell Oakes

    Bob Guest

    Sounds like the video card RAM.
    Check your card using the program
    "BurnInTest" (a demo can be downloaded from
    http://www.passmark.com )

    Bob

    Bob, Dec 1, 2003

  3. Hmmmm, didnt show up any problems, although how long am I supposed to let it
    run for? I gave it 5 mins.

    Russell Oakes, Dec 1, 2003
  4. Russell Oakes

    Shep© Guest

    Have you installed any updated AGP mother board drivers that the
    system may need?

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    email shepATpartyheld.de

    Shep©, Dec 2, 2003
  5. Yeah I have the latest VIA drivers.

    Russell Oakes, Dec 2, 2003
  6. Russell Oakes

    Shep© Guest

    Try
    start/run and type dxdiag/OK and take the video tests and see what it
    throws up.
    Also download the free,"Rivatuner",
    http://www.guru3d.com/rivatuner/
    and go through all it's custom driver settings section as it has a
    hidden registry fixer that may find and auto-cure the problem.
    Also try other Detonator drivers.
    http://download.guru3d.com/detonator/
    What operating system are you running?

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    email shepATpartyheld.de

    Shep©, Dec 2, 2003
  7. Russell Oakes

    Me Guest

    I've got the same card and the exact same problem. The problem popped up
    while I was still running Win98 on the box. I assumed it was driver
    related and the box needed an OS upgrade anyway, so I cleaned off the
    hard drive and did a clean install of XP on it, reloaded the drivers
    from disk, ran Windows update and it downloaded updated video drivers...
    exact same problem pops up again. I'm wondering if it's got something to
    do with the Windows update version of the drivers.

    Me, Dec 2, 2003
  8. Russell Oakes

    Bully Wee Guest

    My Gainward 64Mb Ti4200 started playing up a couple of weeks ago during a
    big upgrade. I assumed that one of the new components was faulty. Wrong.
    Just at the weekend I found this website

    http://www.amdforums.com/showthread.php?s=1159571a83bf53d6e0d357b4850e9337&t
    hreadid=166031&highlight=gainward

    If you have a Gainward card then there's every chance that this is the
    fault. Mine has lasted 16 months and does have the original capacitors
    shown. I used the www.gainward.net support page to mail them my problem and
    have an RMA number now by return. I just have to foot the bill for it to be
    sent to Germany now. Folk at amdmb.com have had two week waits for the
    repair. I suppose my old Matrox G400 will have to do for now. I don't want
    to buy a new card with new ones appearing just now which puts the price of
    current ones down.

    Hope this helps.

    Bully Wee, Dec 2, 2003
  9. Russell Oakes

    Bully Wee Guest

    Oops. Link too long error! Just go to www.amdb.com and follow a logical
    path through the
    forum to "GAINWARD Ti4200 Problem thread" started by Jerky. It's on page 2
    as I write.
    Scroll down a bit for pic of a crash and the replaced capacitors. 1576
    replies on over 100
    pages on that thread! Good forum.

    Bully Wee, Dec 3, 2003
  10. Russell Oakes

    Bully Wee Guest

    Bully Wee, Dec 3, 2003
  11. Russell Oakes

    Me Guest

    LOL. BTDT. Thanks, Will check that out. This is an Abit Siluro, but it
    may very well use the same components. Heck, it may have been assembled
    by the same folks. Companies as such often farm out the actual
    building of their boards.

    Me, Dec 3, 2003
  12. Russell Oakes

    Me Guest

    From that forum:

    "It seems that temperature does affect the state of the card.
    Colder the temperatures, more prevalent the problem."

    This is EXACTLY what's going on with this card. It gives both the
    checker board as shown and a solid white screen at times, but it only
    does it when the machine is cold. I've had to reboot this thing three
    times in a row recently to get a good screen. It works flawlessly once
    the machine is warmed up good. Electrolytic caps are dirt cheap and easy
    to replace. I'll just replace the lot of them and see if it straightens
    up. Couldn't hurt anything to drop in new ones even if it's not the
    problem.

    Thanks much. :)

    Me, Dec 3, 2003
  13. I'm using a Chaintech, anyone heard of it occuring on those?

    Russell Oakes, Dec 3, 2003
  14. Russell Oakes

    Me Guest

    Ok, it's official... the Abit is affected by this problem too. I just
    replaced all of the filter caps (large electrolytics) on this card, and
    the problem is completely gone. Russell, I'd bet money it affects the
    Chaintech too.

    Me, Dec 6, 2003