Getting a new video card with a separate TV tuner... How does video out work?

Discussion in 'ATI' started by ANTant, Oct 18, 2005.

  1. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    Hello.

    Currently, I have been using an ATI Radeon 9800 AIW (128 MB) for over two years. Due to new and
    upcoming games (City of Villains, Call of Duty 2), the video card cannot handle the graphic
    demands since I like to turn graphic options on (e.g. 16x anisotropic, FSAA, 1152x864
    resolution, etc.). So, it is time to research and retire it. I use the AIW and MMC to record and
    watch TV shows a lot. Obviously, AIW has to go and I need to replace it. I usually watch TV
    shows, DVDs, video clips, etc. fullscreen on my TV (video out).

    I am thinking of getting a separate TV tuner card (HDTV perhaps). If I were to get a new video
    card (no TV tuner) and a separate TV tuner, how would the TV out work? Does Windows driver let
    me pick which card does the TV output for video fullscreen?

    Thank you in advance. :)
    --
    "Is this stuff any good for ants?" "No, it kills them." --unknown
    /\___/\
    ( )

    ANTant, Oct 18, 2005

  2. ANTant

    deimos Guest

    TV tuner cards are capture cards only. Your video card still outputs
    all overlays. Even if you're playing back a live capture, it still
    outputs via a hardware overlay on your video card.

    deimos, Oct 18, 2005

  3. ANTant

    Conor Guest

    Works exactly the same as you're doing with the AIW. TV on a PC is
    overlayed, usually by a DirectX layer, over the desktop by the graphics
    card.

    Conor, Oct 18, 2005
  4. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    Ah thank you for explaining that. I did not know that. It sounds like it
    like having those old 3D cards connected to video cards like in the old
    days.

    ANTant, Oct 18, 2005
  5. ANTant

    Goforitdude Guest

    Hey, I'm in the same boat and want the same functionality from ONE card just
    like the AIW. Isn't their an updated version of this AIW card that ATI
    produces?

    Goforitdude, Oct 20, 2005
  6. ANTant

    J. Clarke Guest

    The latest is the X800, which still uses the Rage Theater 200 chip vs the
    550 used in the TV Wonder Elite. Analog TV only, no HD tuner.

    After using AIWs for many years, I've come to the conclusion that separates
    are a more satisfactory solution.

    J. Clarke, Oct 20, 2005
  7. ANTant

    Todd Guest

    Something to keep in mind is that you want a strong video card to do the overlays of the
    TV card's signal. It de-interlaces the original TV signal and changes it into progressive
    scan before painting the program onto you monitor. This de-interlacing (which I think is
    done by the video card's processing chip) requires a fair bit of muscle.

    With my ATi TV Wonder Pro card I personally went from a Radeon 7200 64 MB video card to a
    PCI-e Radeon X600 256 MB, and finally to my current X800GT with 256 MB of RAM. My final
    configuration has NO problems with the transition to progressive scan. Typically you might
    find a lot of "ragged edges" with interlacing still being evident on the edges of objects.
    Especially on moving objects like cars or wheels.

    Really annoying.

    So don't skimp on your Radeon and try to get at least one of the variants of the X800
    series. And pile on the RAM because the upcoming Windows Vista is video intensive. 256
    megs is well worth the small additional investment.

    Todd, Oct 21, 2005
  8. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    I think by the time Vista comes out, I will be upgrading my video card
    again. :)

    I am planning to drop my ATI card and getting a NVIDIA card and non-ATI
    HDTV tuner.

    ANTant, Oct 22, 2005
  9. ANTant

    Todd Guest

    Ohhh, there have been times when I wanted to just heave-ho all my ATi gear and start over
    with NVIDIA. But the only thing NVIDIA has over ATi is the current upper hand in the
    king-kong class of game cards. Even then, the latest from ATi seems to have recaptured
    that crown.

    But when it comes to HDTV add-in cards you are plowing mostly virgin prairie. It is the
    peripheral things like TV scheduling to go with the card and a good multimedia software
    program that clinch the deal. Don't know enough about that end of the TV card business to
    offer sage advice.

    So good luck!

    Todd, Oct 24, 2005
  10. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    Thanks. Yeah, it is frustrating. I might have to get an ATI HDTV tuner. Argh!
    --
    "Number fourteen. The naughty bits of an ant." --Monty Python's Flying Circus
    /\___/\
    ( )

    ANTant, Oct 25, 2005
  11. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    Yeah, that is what I am doing but I want to go to NVIDIA for video card
    especially for gaming and maybe ATI HDTV tuner for TV stuff.

    ANTant, Oct 25, 2005
  12. ANTant

    Todd Guest

    You know, the guys who will do it right in this HDTV add-in card business are the gang at
    Matrox. All of their video gear and TV oriented cards are top quality. It might be
    interesting to see what they have coming up.

    Matrox tends to do things properly, right off the bat :)

    Todd, Oct 25, 2005
  13. ANTant

    J. Clarke Guest

    The ATI tuner you'll find limiting--it uses an older tuner, it's expensive
    for what it is, and there's no third-party support to speak of--there are
    some products that will use it but only with the ATI drivers. It's only
    real advantage is that CrapUSA keeps them on the shelf.

    J. Clarke, Oct 25, 2005
  14. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    Hey, I'm in the same boat and want the same functionality from ONE card
    Yeah, that is why I am trying to avoid ATI brand. Have any suggestions on
    brand and models that are available from retail stores?

    ANTant, Oct 25, 2005
  15. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    That would be awesome. I owned a G400. Badarse card. Clear picture too.
    Unfortunately games made me replace it. [sighs]

    ANTant, Oct 25, 2005
  16. ANTant

    J. Clarke Guest

    No. There are no decent HDTV boards available in the US in retail stores.
    Get a Dvico from Copperbox or Digital Connection, they're both reputable
    companies.

    J. Clarke, Oct 26, 2005