    The laptop only has a floppy drive and the program and data is much
    larger than a floppy. Any ideas on the best way to transfer these
    files? Thanks.

    ephedralover, Jan 24, 2007

  2. If it's that old it probably doesn't have a USB port, so the use of a
    "thumb drive" is probably not an option.

    How about networking? Even my old IBM (before USB ports) had a PC card
    slot where I could install an ethernet card..

    If networking isn't an option, you can always remove the hard drive,
    temporarily install it in a desktop, and copy directly from the drive.
    There are also adapters that will allow you to connect a notebook
    drive to a USB cable and copy that way.

    Of course, there's also the software approach... Just zip the software
    to multiple floppies.

    Charlie Hoffpauir

    Charlie Hoffpauir, Jan 24, 2007

  3. ephedralover

    ephedralover Guest

    Didn't think of the zip option or the adapter. I will look into this.
    Thanks.

    ephedralover, Jan 24, 2007
  4. Charlie Hoffpauir, Jan 25, 2007
  5. The best way will be to get a PC Card network adapter, put the 105CS on
    the network, and transfer it to a shared drive.

    Another option would be to take the hard drive out of the 105CS and
    connect it to a another computer (using either IDE or USB).

    Another option would be to find or borrow a parallel port Zip drive.

    There are still more ways, but those are the best options.

    Barry Watzman, Jan 25, 2007
  6. Here is a better version of that same device (has not only both laptop
    and desktop IDE but also SATA), and it's a LOT cheaper ($4.99 vs. $24.99):

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330079780920

    Shipping is only $8.99. Downside: It's from Hong Kong. The seller is
    reliable, but delivery takes 3 weeks. Still, shipping is only $8.99 and
    the price is dirt cheap. Can't really complain unless it's an emergency.

    Barry Watzman, Jan 25, 2007
  7. ephedralover

    Sjouke Burry Guest

    Have a batch of floppys ready, and at the dos prompt
    use :
    pkzip -p -&w a:files.zip c:\yourwildcard
    or
    pkzip -P -&w ........etc................
    The first stores/restores also subdir names
    and the second the same including the source dir as well.
    The program will prompt you for floppies.
    Dont forget to number them.
    On writeback:
    pkunzip -d a:*.*

    Sjouke Burry, Jan 25, 2007
  8. ephedralover

    budgie Guest

    Apart from all the other suggestions offered, there is Laplink and its clones.

    budgie, Jan 25, 2007
  9. ephedralover

    mike Guest

    My favorite clone is Totalcommander.
    Free unlimited demo version.
    The remote client is lptdos.exe from the same site
    Hook up a laplink parallel cable and you're good to go.
    And you might even find that totalcommander makes a great replacement
    for windows explorer.

    There are also programs that split and recombine big files.
    totalcommander does that too, but installing it on the laptop
    will be problematic without some active interface.

    There's a dos link called, interlink I think...built right into dos.
    mike

    mike, Jan 25, 2007
  10. ephedralover

    budgie Guest

    The one I have used for over a decade is FastLynx, so I have never really
    bothered with the Dos6.xx interlink/interserv combo. But back when I was
    "troubleshooting" on a number of Win3.x machines, Fastlynx was used surprisingly
    often from my 386 laptop. I rated that up there with XTree as top tools of the
    day.

    budgie, Jan 26, 2007
  11. ephedralover

    SMS Guest

    It has a PCMCIA slot, so buy a PC Card to Compact Flash adapter, not a
    CardBus version, but the 16 bit version, and a CF card.

    See
    "http://microcenter.com/byos/byos_single_product_results.phtml?product_id=217553"

    It should work without any drivers at all, since essentially the Compact
    Flash interface is the the same as the PCMCIA interface.

    I guess you could also do a LapLink transfer via the parallel port or
    serial port.

    Depending on how much larger the data is, you could also PKZIP the data
    spanning several floppies.

    SMS, Jan 26, 2007
  12. First thing I'd try is zipping up the program and data and then see how
    big that file is. If still too large, something like HJSplit would be in
    order.
    http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/

    Airman Thunderbird, Jan 27, 2007
  13. ephedralover