GF5 - 5900 - How many WATTS does it EAT from a power supply?

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Darthy, Jul 21, 2003.

  1. Darthy

    Darthy Guest

    GF5 - 5900 - How many WATTS does it EAT from a power supply?

    I'm trying to work with an Shuttle XPC which has a 200 watt PSU.

    So the question is:

    How many watts can the AGP give to a video card,

    How many watts does the 5900 suck up with the molex connector?

    If its being powered by the Molex, does that mean that its not drawing
    power from the AGP port?

    Any info on this would be good... :(

    I've downloaded manuals and looked at specs and requirements...

    Considering how many computers out there have 150~250watt PSUs, I
    think that kind of info would be handy.

    Darthy, Jul 21, 2003

  2. Darthy

    Scott Guest

    Nvidia says 300W minimum. I've run mine in 2 different computers, one with a 350 and 1 with a 400. You will need a new power supply.

    Scott, Jul 21, 2003

  3. Darthy

    Carl Guest

    U will need a new PSU. I had to replace my 300w PSU with a 400w PSU for my
    FX 5800 (although they stated in the manual to have *at least* a 350w PSU).
    Its not really a question of what wattage the fx card draws. The more stuff
    configured on your PC the more wattage you will need.

    USB devices, external sound cards control boxes, number of HDD's, number of
    CD drives, printers, scanners, web cams, koysticks, blah, blah, blah....

    Collectively, they will consume a terrific amount of power. So go with as
    much wattage as you can. PSU's are cheap and only take a few minutes to
    fit.

    ~Carl

    Carl, Jul 21, 2003