    Brian K Guest

    "

    Takes me 3 minutes to restore the OS partition from an image.

    Brian K, Feb 10, 2006

  2. The advice given there,
    "do not let old-XP see the new partition before cloning"
    is simply irrelevant, and
    "do not let new-XP see the old-XP partition the first time it boots"
    is correct.
    But problems resulting from ignoring advice #2 are hard to spot.

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Feb 10, 2006

  3. S.Lewis

    Brian K Guest

    I was trying to determine why many people have booting problems after
    cloning. I failed to confirm "advice #2". All of my clone attempts were
    successful but I wasn't trying to be successful. Whether your experience is
    the same, I see more people with failed clones than failed image restores.

    Brian K, Feb 10, 2006

  4. I've been looking for a byte-for-byte comparison utility for
    quite some time. Does BeyondCompare recursively compare
    files in sub-folders, IOW can it compare the contents of two
    WINDOWS folders? Can it include the registry?

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Feb 10, 2006
  5. OK, so one is "system" and the other one is "active", anyone knbow
    what that means?

    William P.N. Smith, Feb 10, 2006
  6. S.Lewis

    S.Lewis Guest

    System is the primary OS disk, also indicated as the 1st IDE drive in the
    boot order in BIOS.

    The second disk has it's partition marked as primary and "active", meaning
    it is bootable (in theory) but in this case is not the "system" disk as it
    is the primary disk in the boot order, nor has it been booted to.

    That status would change, I suspect, if I booted to it, or swapped the
    drives from master to slave.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Feb 10, 2006
  7. S.Lewis

    Brian K Guest

    Stew,

    Can you boot to it without swapping it to Master?

    Brian K, Feb 10, 2006
  8. To repeat my posting this morning at 11:23 a.m.-

    "In Microsoft's perverse terminology (which I've read is for
    historical reasons), the "system" Local Disk is the partition
    that is "active" and thus where the boot files boot.ini/ntldr/
    ntdetect.com reside. The "boot" Local Disk is the partition
    where the operating system resides. This is completely
    backward intuitively - that the "system" partition holds the
    boot files, and the "boot" partition holds the operating system -
    but that's Microsoft."

    To expand, the "system" partition must be an Primary partition to have
    a boot sector that hands control to its ntldr (the boot manager), and it
    must be an "active" one to have the MBR hand control to its boot sector.
    But the "boot" partition, the one with the operating system, can be
    a Primary partition or a Logical Drive (i.e. a logical partition) within
    an Extended partition.

    But the "system" partition and the "boot" partition not only don't have
    to be the same partition, but they can even be on different hard drives.
    Thus, if partition 2 on HD1 is Primary and "active",and has the necessary
    boot files, it can boot an OS that is in partition 4 on HD0, and that partition 4
    can even be in an Extended partition. Booting is a LOT more flexible - and
    can be made a LOT more complex - than most people know.

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Feb 10, 2006
  9. S.Lewis

    S.Lewis Guest

    Just checked due to your post. Yes I can.

    (Dimension 8300, matching IDE Seagate 80gb drives)

    F2 into BIOS. Disable drive 0 (master). Leave "hard disk" enabled in boot
    order. Booted right to desktop.

    How do I know it was/is not the (master) old drive? I cloned the drive a
    couple of days ago. At desktop, virus definitions were immediately flagged
    as "out of date" and downloaded. Secondly, desktop shortcuts were different
    (I move them to a folder pretty quickly for later reference. Actually a good
    way to mark the drives for testing until the next cloning.).

    Went back into BIOS and enabled drive 0/old drive, and system booted back to
    the original OS disk w/no chkdsk or other problems. Status in disk
    management shows exactly as it did on my previous link. System disk and
    healthy/active disk.

    I'd actually not tried this with this particular machine. Nice to not have
    to physically disconnect anything.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Feb 10, 2006
  10. S.Lewis

    Brian K Guest

    Thanks. I'll study your answer.

    Brian K, Feb 10, 2006
  11. S.Lewis

    Brian K Guest

    Sounds good, but I won't be able to try it until I get my "test" computer
    setup again. I'm sure it will work just like yours.

    Brian K, Feb 10, 2006
  12. S.Lewis

    S.Lewis Guest

    Thanks for asking the question, Brian. I had assumed the machine would
    refuse to give up the Drive 0/Master disk, but in fact it will boot to the
    Slave.

    A very convenient option.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Feb 11, 2006
  13. S.Lewis

    Brian K Guest

    Stew, I'm glad I did the tests as I learnt a lot too. As I mentioned, I
    don't want to clone my HD as a backup process. I like images.

    Ghost 9 and Partition Magic both took 4 minutes to do the copy. CasperXP
    took 24 minutes, like watching grass grow. But all software produced a
    bootable result.

    Brian K, Feb 11, 2006
  14. S.Lewis

    S.Lewis Guest

    Nothing wrong with exploring the possibilities and options and picking up a
    few ideas. Might need one or the other, both, at different times in the
    future.

    I hope I'll get a chance to work with Ghost 10 at my leisure (soon) and do
    the same. My dilemma was that I couldn't get what I needed in a fairly
    small window of time.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Feb 11, 2006
  15. S.Lewis

    Brian K Guest

    Be careful with Ghost 10, Stew. I like it but some people can't see their
    USB external HD from the Recovery Environment, which makes restoring images
    from that site problematic. It's a hardware incompatibility and impossible
    to predict.

    http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=1131831389

    Brian K, Feb 11, 2006
  16. S.Lewis

    S.Lewis Guest

    Thanks for that heads up. I'll be dealing with internal drives only. Know
    of any similar problems there? (This will be with a secondary machine and no
    valuable data........)

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Feb 12, 2006
  17. S.Lewis

    Brian K Guest

    I've had no problems at all with internal drives. I must have restored 50
    images (several computers) by now and the restore always works. I trust it.

    Imaging to DVD is slow and probably takes 5 times longer than imaging to a
    second HD. Restoring from DVD's is a good way to go crazy with multiple disc
    shuffling.

    Brian K, Feb 12, 2006
  18. S.Lewis

    BVFN Admin Guest

    just as a note to a previous post, i use Acronis software, and haven't
    had a problem with it at all, always produces exact duplicates,
    bootable when they're supposed to be. i've also used older versions of
    ghost, and i have my own copy for my personal use, but i can't use it
    in the company i work for. older ghost version are very reliable. i
    worked for a period of time at the Carnegie Mellon University, and one
    of the things i did there was to prepare new student's laptops. we'd do
    runs of 15 at one time and they all booted perfectly

    BVFN Admin, Mar 10, 2006
  19. S.Lewis

    dc Guest

    I'll second that recommendation for Acronis. It makes creating a disk image
    or cloning a disk as simple as possible..

    dc

    dc, Mar 11, 2006
  20. S.Lewis

    Brian K Guest