Ghost 10 sucks for drive cloning....

Discussion in 'Dell' started by S.Lewis, Feb 6, 2006.

  1. S.Lewis

    Notan Guest

    Notan, Mar 11, 2006

  2. S.Lewis

    Brian K Guest

    That was my understanding too. The link I posted referred to build 2337.

    Brian K, Mar 11, 2006

  3. S.Lewis

    Notan Guest

    The most recent entry, from the thread you posted, was dated August 2005.

    Build 2337 was released on January 5, 2006.

    Notan

    Notan, Mar 11, 2006
  4. S.Lewis

    Brian K Guest

    August was his join date. It's today's thread. I do that too.

    Brian K, Mar 11, 2006
  5. S.Lewis

    Notan Guest

    Uh,... The dog made me do it! <g>

    Anyway, there will always be a group of people that have problems
    with a certain piece of software. More often than not, it's caused
    by a conflict with some other piece of installed software.

    Personally, like many others, I had problems with earlier Builds,
    but the latest has run, flawlessly.

    Notan

    Notan, Mar 11, 2006
  6. S.Lewis

    Tom McCune Guest

    My Ghost 9 version is 9.01.3874

    I've not restored any images with it, but have seen no problems with it.

    Tom McCune, Mar 11, 2006
  7. S.Lewis

    Brian K Guest

    I use TI 8 without a problem. TI 9 still worries me.

    Brian K, Mar 11, 2006
  8. Specifically for hard drive cloning, I really like
    Casper XP. Like Ghost, it can clone either
    one entire HD to another HD (useful to upgrading
    to a larger HD), or it can clone a single partition
    and put it on another HD that already has
    partitions. (Acronis True Image cannot do the
    latter. You have to make an image of the
    partition and then "restore" it to the destination
    HD.)

    You can download a free 30-day trial copy of
    Casper XP from:
    www.FSSdev.com/products/casperxp/ .

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Mar 12, 2006
  9. S.Lewis

    george Guest

    I'll second Casper XP...been using it for about a year or so and no problems
    whatsoever. When I once posted about it previously, someone said it wasn't
    an exact image in that it makes some sort of change that allows both drives
    to co-exist in a system...whatever...it's always worked perfectly for me for
    cloning and runs out of Windows. (If you prefer Ghost, fine, but Casper has
    given me no reason to even consider a change.)

    George

    george, Mar 12, 2006
  10. I'm stuck on Ghost 8.0 Enterprise edition, with no interest in
    'upgrading'. Will Casper do network client/server mode? How does it
    compare to Ghost in speed (Ghost is pretty slow)...

    Thanks!

    William P.N. Smith, Mar 12, 2006

  11. Casper XP is a specialty cloner, so it won't do
    incremental backups like Ghost, it won't make images,
    etc. But unlike Ghost 9.0 & 10.0, it doesn't require
    ..NET Framework to be installed and it costs less.
    As for speed, both utilities test for error rates before
    setting the transfer speed, so they may have similar
    speeds depending on the controller and the cabling.

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Mar 12, 2006
  12. Ah, I see Casper doesn't have a network mode at all, so it's not an
    upgrade path for me. Looks like a nice tool, though!

    William P.N. Smith, Mar 13, 2006
  13. S.Lewis

    BVFN Admin Guest

    The main problem that i've had with Ghost is the fact that we need it
    to run on a RAID server, which usually doesn't happen (included in the
    online documentation for it, too!) I also need the software to read
    from and write to RAID-5 and RAID-1, which is even less likely
    (completely unsupported by Ghost, stated both online and the tech I
    asked when contacting them. Ghost has really become a home or (very)
    small office software. They are removing it's features that the
    industry at large uses, and is releasing new enterprise grade software,
    with an enterprise grade price tag. Probably a good business move on
    their part, but it pushes away those of us who like the software but
    aren't willing to pay the cost of it.

    BVFN Admin, Mar 13, 2006