Ghost image fails to restore properly?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by louise, Aug 1, 2005.

  1. louise

    louise Guest

    One day, after a very brief brownout, I turned on my computer to
    discover that several programs hung halfway through loading or
    apparently loaded, but didn't respond to any commands, mouse click,
    etc.

    I had a recent Ghost 9 image. I restored. The same programs
    didn't function properly.

    I had an older Ghost 9 image which I had already successfully used
    to restore the hard drive about a month ago. I restored this
    image. Again, the same programs didn't function properly, and in
    the same ways...

    I tested memory (memtest), hard drive itself (Seatools), ran
    chkdsk, etc. etc. I used two anti-virus scans and a spyware scan.
    I also changed the hard drive itself. Nothing showed up. Seatools
    (Seagates diagnostic tool), did indicate critical problem with NTFS

    I finally used the restore CD that came with my computer (2.5 years
    ago) and all is going smoothely, further indicating that it is
    not/was not, a hardware issue.

    The only thing I can imagine is that although I restored a Ghost
    image, the disk was not completely cleaned and therefore, the same
    problems kept coming back?

    Is this possible?

    Any suggestions? I'm horrified at the thought that this could
    happen again and that my backup image wouldn't work.

    TIA

    Louise

    louise, Aug 1, 2005

  2. louise

    S.Lewis Guest

    Pleading some degree of ignorance (with Ghost ) here, I'm surprised also
    that the Ghost image didn't completely cure the problem - since I would
    *assume* (wrongly, apparently) that the Windows registry would've also been
    replaced and the initialization (and registry keys) of those programs fully
    repaired.

    I'm left scratching my head thinking that some remnants of the damaged OS
    were left after the Ghost restore, and that makes absolutely *no* common
    sense to me. ?

    I'm also wondering (after the fact) what re-installation of those problem
    programs would've done (if anything) after your initial Ghost restores.

    Someone here has an answer, but it isn't me.....

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Aug 1, 2005

  3. louise

    Clark Guest

    You might check the integrity of the Ghost image.

    Maybe part of your hard drive was damaged and Ghost could not tell, so it
    put the data back in the same place. It might be a good idea to format
    before you restore a Ghost image. I've been playing with Ghost 2003 and one
    restore had errors, but a couple of others did not. I was trying to restore
    from both CDs and an external USB hard drive.

    If the integrity of the image is good and you had a lot of data you did not
    want to loose, I would try again. Maybe a new hard drive could be used so
    you did not wipe out your current install.

    Clark

    Clark, Aug 1, 2005
  4. louise

    Leythos Guest

    If your ghost image was made using a boot disk, not from within windows,
    and you restored the image, then it would be exactly the same as you had
    running at the time of the image you saved. To make a good image of a
    drive, so that you can perfectly restore to point A in time, you need to
    boot from a floppy disk and image to some other drive.

    Leythos, Aug 1, 2005
  5. louise

    Nick Guest

    I'm not familiar with Ghost, my best guess would be that the momentary power
    problem corrupted some formatting information or file system information
    that Ghost didn't backup.
    My suggestion: buy yourself a UPS. They aren't that expensive, and can be a
    real work and data saver.

    For years, I knew I should use a UPS but never bothered. Then one day the
    lights flickered. Just for a second or two, but that was enough to make the
    computer reboot.

    I was less than five minutes away from the end of a one hour or more
    download (on dialup then) which I had to restart from scratch, plus I also
    lost a big chunk of a lengthy technical document I'd been typing up during
    the download (hadn't saved for 20-30 minutes).

    The next day, I finally ordered a UPS. A few days after it arrived and was
    put to use, we had another brief power failure: and the computer and I just
    kept going right through it totally unaffected.

    That was six or seven years and a couple of computers ago, and I've been
    through a bunch of power failures, surges, etc. since then with zero
    problems.

    For me, that UPS and it's successors have been one of the best investments
    I've every made.

    Sorry about the sales pitch: I honestly don't work for a UPS manufacturer!

    Nick, Aug 2, 2005
  6. louise

    louise Guest

    Well....I had three different backup images from weeks apart. The
    oldest one had been used when I made a mess (fiddling with a
    program and then couldn't connect to ISP), and it worked at the
    time. So I have reason to believe that image was sound, if not the
    other two.

    I tried restoring different images and had Ghost verify the
    integrity of the image before restoring - and yet, it happened each
    time.

    I did try another hard drive (brand new), and it happened with that
    drive also. I did not reformat the drive(s) before replacing the
    image and I should have.

    Fortunately I'm paranoid :) I do nightly backups to a different
    external drive using Dantz Retrospect. I do image backups every
    week or two to another external drive using Ghost. So I have all
    my data from the Dantz Retrospect nightly backup. So far I've been
    reinstalling the data and there hasn't been a problem.

    It seems to me that Ghost does not completely clear the drive
    because even if the brownout caused data damage, or a virus caused
    data/program damage, both of those should be negated by restoring
    an image from 6 weeks ago. And they weren't.

    Louise

    louise, Aug 2, 2005
  7. louise

    louise Guest

    My ghost image was on an external hard drive. But I did not boot
    from a floppy - but rather from the Ghost CD which says it is to be
    used as a restore disk.

    I'm using Ghost 9. Should I still have a floppy?

    Louise

    louise, Aug 2, 2005
  8. louise

    louise Guest

    YES - thank you. It makes sense that the file system information
    was damaged by the brownout. The reason I say this so emphatically
    is because Seatools said the NTFS file system was "critically" off,
    or something like that. It said the disk itself was fine.

    I didn't know that Ghost doesn't backup basic NTFS file system
    information, but I'm sure that's what happened now that you spell
    it out that way.

    Do you think that reformatting the drive and then restoring the
    image would have worked? It's too late now but I don't ever want
    to go through this again so I'm trying to find out as much as I
    can.

    You are also correct about the UPS. Is there a brand and/or kind
    that you find particularly reliable?

    TIA

    Louise

    louise, Aug 2, 2005
  9. Maybe a program that had been running just fine before a certain date
    fell over after that date, and restoring an image which had that same
    program in it restored the problem.

    [I just discovered that APC's UPS control program caused two different
    machines to act in strange ways _today_, including not being able to
    fire up Internet Explorer, not bring able to open Outlook, and loss of
    Palm sync functionality. Yeah, I know, it's not possible, but
    removing the program brought everything back to normal. Bizarre
    things happen!]

    William P. N. Smith, Aug 2, 2005
  10. louise

    Nick Guest

    I honestly don't know; I'm not familiar with Ghost and was just speculating.
    You mentioned in another post that you also tried a different hard drive
    with no success, so maybe it was some other problem not directly related to
    that drive.
    Frankly, my best suggestion would be to check the Ghost documentation and
    the support information their web site to see what they recommend for doing
    a total restore in a situation like this.
    For what it's worth, my little sales pitch was literally a true story: I
    still remember how ticked off I was at the amount of time it took me to redo
    things all because of a few seconds of power loss. :)

    I don't have a lot of experience with different brands: the last two I
    bought were APC Back-UPS models, because that's what Dell offered with the
    computer I bought.

    The one I bought with my Dimension 8100 has worked fine for a little over
    four years, including a number of power outages. Right now, it's
    semi-retired supporting two external hard drives I use for backups. A new
    battery for it is on my shopping list when I get around to it...

    I bought a new APC UPS with the Dimension XPS 5 from Dell (a few weeks ago),
    because the new computer draws more power and I wanted more capacity than
    the old UPS had.

    I would think you'd be OK with a UPS from any major manufacturer.

    Nick, Aug 2, 2005