    Dave
    N1RPM
    Livermore Falls, Maine

    Dave, Dec 19, 2003

  2. Dave

    Kirby Crosby Guest

    umm..............................
    no.
    cable is less than 3 mb/second which isnt even enough to work a 10 mb/second
    connection let alone a 1000 mb/s lan connection.

    Kirby Crosby, Dec 20, 2003

  3. Well, it may give him better ping times, but if your asking if your going to
    'download' any faster, then no.

    Philip Callan, Dec 20, 2003
  4. Dave

    Kirby Crosby Guest

    just wondering how it would improve his ping?

    I don't think it would affect it at all.
    please clarify

    thanks

    Kirby Crosby, Dec 20, 2003
  5. Well, theoretically, playing a higher cpu usage game or stuff
    with the onboard not routing traffic between the north/south bridge
    via the PCI bus.

    With Intel CSA-based Gigabit LAN controller, network data can be transferred
    at a much higher rate with lower latency. This new interface performs
    networking tasks more efficiently, and achieves bi-directional gigabit
    speeds.

    Less latency = improved ping.

    Philip Callan, Dec 20, 2003
  6. Dave

    Kirby Crosby Guest

    so he could theoretically reduce latency...
    but only on his local bus, so overall improvement would be marginal at best?

    Kirby Crosby, Dec 20, 2003
  7. Very marginal, unless of course he had a whole bunch of them wired up with
    gigabit links, raid arrays and turned it into a beowolf cluster or
    something..... hehee

    Philip Callan, Dec 20, 2003
  8. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Thanks for the the quick and courteous response to my question. I
    guess seeing that I have 3 options: Kingston 10/100 card, OnBoard Lan
    of the A7N8X-E, and the Gigabit Lan, one being marginally better that
    the other two, I'll go with the margin. At my age I need all the speed
    I can muster, hehe

    Dave, Dec 20, 2003
  9. Dave

    Kirby Crosby Guest

    I have found the onboard Nvidia NIC to be very fast and efficient., with
    little cpu utilization.

    Kirby Crosby, Dec 20, 2003
  10. Dave

    boomer Guest

    Actually, cable is capable of a lot more. I used to get road runner
    at about 8Mb/sec to their local file server. Yeah it was early in the
    morning ;) I moved and use DSL now. 1.5Mb/sec but better service by
    far, no fluctuations. Anyway, I recall they said their cable system
    (up to the house) was capable of about 30 Mb/sec, but the cablemodem
    box was only capable of 10Mb/sec, a bottleneck. Not that they wanted
    to give everyone 30Mb/sec ;)

    Hell, even my DSL ISP will give you 6Mb/sec if you want to pay for it.

    Still, a 100M net work card would be all you'd need.

    boomer, Dec 21, 2003