Gigabyte 965P-DS3 problem with SATAII drive

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by liverdonor via HWKB.com, Nov 2, 2007.

  1. haroo

    I've got an interesting issue with a Gigabyte 965P-DS3 board and a Western
    Digital 2500KS drive (250GB). This board is configured with 2G DDRII RAM and
    an Intel Core2 Duo 6600 uP running at 2.4GHz.

    The Gigabyte board has two different types of SATA ports: two on its own
    proprietary controller and six more that hang off the Intel chip directly.

    The strange behavior I'm seeing is this - if I connect the WDC harddisk to
    the Intel SATAII ports, the drive appears to work OK for a short while, then
    eventually I start getting BSODs which will hopelessly corrupt the disk and I
    have to pave and re-install the machine.

    If, however, I attach the drive to either of the two ports that hang off the
    Gigabyte chip, the whole system appears to slow down slightly, but it's solid
    as heck. I'm using this machine now to send this message, and it's been up
    and working perfectly for the last three weeks with no BSODs and no strange
    event log messages.

    Anyone else seen anything like this? Is this perhaps some specific
    incompatibility between the WDC drive and the Intel SATAII ports? Or is it a
    common issue with Gigabyte boards of this type?

    I might want to add more HDs to this box, so I need to know if I can only add
    one more or if I can add several more of a different brand, or what.

    Thanks in advance,

    ~LD

    liverdonor via HWKB.com, Nov 2, 2007

  2. liverdonor via HWKB.com

    old man Guest

    If I read it right the board has sata3 connectors, you've upgraded any
    chipset & other drivers presumably.
    I believe some WD disks had issues with controlers that werent of the same
    revision as the HD

    old man, Nov 2, 2007

  3. liverdonor via HWKB.com

    SumGuy Guest

    I've got an 965P-S3 and am using 2 WD 2500 KS drives with no problems.

    Have you tried changing the SATA port mode and/or checking the SMART status
    on the drive?

    SumGuy, Nov 3, 2007