    SATA ports would i plug the drives into and what bios settings do i
    need to set ??

    Thanks for your time.

    Paul Mathews, Nov 21, 2006

  2. Paul Mathews

    John Guest

    I connected my sata drive to the Gigabyte controller....
    Press F6 during setup XP, load drivers from floppy.

    gr. John

    John, Nov 21, 2006

  3. Paul Mathews

    fondue Guest

    RTFM as they say ;-)

    The two GSATA ports are the RAID ones, and the other four are the ICH8
    ports.

    I have the S3, the only difference as far as I am aware is one has solid
    capacitors, and a different sound chip. In my manual one of the chapters in
    the appendix covers RAID setup. Page 65.

    fondue, Nov 21, 2006
  4. There are two SATA controllers on the motherboard, the Intel ICH8
    (Orange connectors, which support four SATA ports) and the Gigabyte SATA
    controller, which is made by and which you will also find referred to
    as the JMicron controller, and which has 2 ports (purple connectors).

    The Intel ICH8 ports are fully supported with no drivers. But they do
    not support RAID, and they also don't support AHCI or NCQ (which can
    potentially speed up the drive).

    The JMicron controller supports both Raid and AHCI and NCQ. It's a
    higher performance device (at least potentially), but it requires
    drivers, an F6 driver for installation and drivers in Windows. Also
    note that there is a DOS driver for it as well, but it's not on the CD
    .... you should download this and save it, in case you ever need it.

    I don't fully understand the exact meanings & implications of all of the
    BIOS settings myself. Perhaps someone else will chime in on that.

    Barry Watzman, Nov 21, 2006
  5. Paul Mathews

    Paul Mathews Guest

    Thanks all.

    If i get arround to raiding ill let you know. I bought a NF7-s 2.0 to
    raid and never got arround to it :)

    Maybe this time.

    Paul Mathews, Nov 21, 2006
  6. I've set up a few systems with RAID and have always been underwhelmed
    and disappointed ... saw no real performance gains, and for the added
    complexity and risk of data loss if a problem did develop (this was raid
    for speed, not raid for redundancy), have come to the conclusion that
    it's not worth it.

    Barry Watzman, Nov 21, 2006