    LG firmware.

    Any ideas?

    Tom S.

    Tom S, Mar 24, 2009

  2. Tom S

    Paul Guest

    Would a plug-in SATA card help ? Like maybe a little SIL3132 card ?

    This one has four physical connectors, but only two electrical ports,
    and jumpers allow either internal or external connectors to be used.
    Personally, I prefer cards that don't screw with 3gbit/sec signals,
    for best results. So this only illustrates a SIL3132 - I wouldn't
    buy it myself. I'd buy one with only two internal connectors instead.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815280008

    The plug-in card has an EEPROM on it, and that provides INT 0x13
    BIOS capability. That is what allows the BIOS to boot from the add-in
    card. So there could still be a boot issue, but the difference is,
    that the BIOS crafted by the plug-in card manufacturer, deals
    directly with the hardware, while the system BIOS only has to
    call the extended INT 0x13 service. So if the bug is in some
    hardware handling code in the Gigabyte BIOS, a card like this
    might be enough to work around it.

    In theory, if you erase (or unplug) the EEPROM on a plug-in
    card, it should prevent it from being offered as a boot device,
    but the device should still work in Windows once a driver is
    installed. Silicon Image cards can be flashed, and there may be
    more than one version of BIOS code for them. (Presmuably
    BASE = non-RAID capable, RAID5 = RAID capable here.) Some
    of their older card designs, had the EEPROM in a socket,
    rather than soldered directly to the board.

    http://www.siliconimage.com/support/searchresults.aspx?pid=32&cat=15&os=0

    Paul

    Paul, Mar 24, 2009