Gigabyte GA-7VAX Mother board and Sempron 3000+ (Barton Core)

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Robert Clark, Jun 5, 2005.

  1. Robert Clark

    Robert Clark Guest

    Hello :

    I'm something of a neophyte with building. I purchased this mother board, a
    new case, and an Athlon 1800 some years ago and have had trouble free
    service fom it. Recently I added some additional RAM (512) K in one strip
    and purchased a Sempron 3000+ (Barton Core) from Newegg. Upon installation
    it briefly recognized the chip as unidentified and from that point on
    nothing. the machine would turn on but not boot, I couldn't get to the bios
    settings and it would turn off the power to the monitor shile continuing to
    run the fans on the processor,the AGP fan and the AGB Graphics card. Putting
    the old chip back in made everything work fine.

    Gigabyte support pages and their tech support line indicate that the
    Motherboard should work with the latest version of the bios which I had
    downloaded. It is currently responding with Version 13.

    Newegg has graciously agreed to replace the processor with another of the
    same type. I'm reluctant to try again when the replacement arrives and
    would like to know if in fact the Barton Core 3000+ Sempron will work.
    Gigabyte implies that it will on their website support pages. If the
    Processor absolutely won't work I will not open the container on the new
    processor and will try to sell it. Alternatively I suppose I could get
    another MB that will support this processor.

    My thanks to all who respond,

    Robert

    Robert Clark, Jun 5, 2005

  2. Robert Clark

    Tim Guest

    GigaByte website shows that Bios F15 is necessary for the Sempron
    processor. Also, see page 5 "Memory" section of recent manual. To run
    333 FSB requires DDR 333 speed memory modules.

    --
    /s/ Timothy I. McCrory
    mailto:

    "Tyranny has no enemy so formidable as the pen."
    William Cobbett

    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely
    believe they are free."
    Goethe

    "If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose
    its freedom; and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or
    money that it values more, it will lose that too."
    Somerset Maugham

    "As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression.
    In both instances there is a twilight when everything remains
    seemingly unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all
    must be most aware of change in the air - however slight -
    lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness."
    Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas

    Tim, Jun 8, 2005

  3. Robert Clark

    Tim Guest

    My mistake in my previous post. Thought I had read GA-7VAXP, not 7VAX.
    Not paying attention apparently.

    Tim, Jun 9, 2005
  4. Robert Clark

    Ian Oxley Guest

    When I had a 7VAX board I had to set the multiplier manually, the jumper
    setting for auto didn't do the job. Just a thought.

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0523-6, 09/06/2005
    Tested on: 11/06/2005 00:35:23

    Ian Oxley, Jun 11, 2005