    chipset is only a lowly KT266A, but i cant afford a new board right now.

    Cheers..

    Kai

    Kai Robinson, Jun 25, 2003

  2. Kai Robinson

    Kai Robinson Guest

    I have the latest bios (F8a) on it, and i've noticed that the board dip
    switches have the option of setting the FSB to 200Mhz - if thats true, can i
    use upto an Athlon XP 3200+ ?

    Cheers

    Kai

    Kai Robinson, Jun 25, 2003

  3. Kai Robinson

    Wes Newell Guest

    Yes. But there's no reason to buy anything faster. The 2500+ has the same
    core as thhe 3000+, or I guess there's a 3200+ model now that would still
    be the same core. You will have to compensate for lack of fsb with an
    increased multiplier (unless you can get a 166MHZ fsb).

    Wes Newell, Jun 25, 2003
  4. Kai Robinson

    Kai Robinson Guest

    As i just posted - it looks like the board supports a 200Mhz FSB - but i'll
    have to check gigabytes manual again - if this is the case - is there
    anything from stopping me using the new CPU's? Voltage? Heatsink? (globalwin
    FKP32)

    Kai

    Kai Robinson, Jun 25, 2003
  5. Kai Robinson

    Kai Robinson Guest

    Oh, i wouldnt spend money on it, but i'm asking so that i know what the
    board limitations are....the board manual says that at 166Mhz FSB, PCI is
    still 33Mhz, and AGP is normal as well....same goes for 200Mhz as well -
    however, its a good quality board - so i cant see any reason why it cant
    support it, unless its a chipset issue....

    Kai

    Kai Robinson, Jun 25, 2003
  6. Kai Robinson

    Wes Newell Guest

    It could be they've added extra clocks for the buses, but I was under the
    impression it was a KT266A chipset issue. I've still got an old KT133 that
    won't even do 133MHz.:) Might try a google search and see what you come
    up with.

    Wes Newell, Jun 26, 2003