GIGABYTE GA-MA78G-DS3H memory question

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by DaveN, Feb 22, 2009.

  1. DaveN

    DaveN Guest

    When I built my system, I bought 4GB of G.SKILL 240-Pin DDR2 800 RAM
    (2x2GB chips).

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231111

    My day job is doing Motion Graphics using After Effects and Cinema 4D
    which both run without any problems. I never have any isssues with
    corrupted images or corrupted video files.

    During my "off time", I play World of Warcraft and I have been having
    issues since the new expansion came out with graphics image files
    getting corrupted and the game crashing on me.

    I have done everything that Blizzard has asked and worked with a couple
    of different techs and the final conclusion THEY came to is that I am
    not using memory listed on the "approved memory" list for the
    motherboard manual, so therefore my memory (even though it passes all
    memory tests) is causing the corruption and not their crappy software.

    Is there ANY possibility that this is true? Especially considering that
    I run 30 hour renders and do high end 3D rendering on a regular basis
    with no issues.

    Is it worth it for me to swap out the G.SKILL memory for something on
    Gigabyte's list?

    DaveN, Feb 22, 2009

  2. DaveN

    Paul Guest

    The Newegg reviews look pretty good, in terms of the number of issues
    people are having. The memory is loose, at 6-6-6-18 DDR2-800 and 1.9V,
    meaning they've slacked off on the specs to make it easier to make.
    I have a pack of CAS5 memory and a pack of CAS4 memory, and there are
    even some CAS3 DDR2-800 out there. So CAS6 is pretty loose (easy to
    make timing).

    I don't give any credence to approved memory lists. First of
    all, they may not use statistically significant numbers
    of DIMMs for testing. Testing a single package of DIMMs
    to make one entry in the table, is not real testing. Some
    of the Asus lists, may show "fail" when a single stick is
    used and "pass" when four sticks are used.

    I've occasionally seen, on enthusiast sites, that "brand x" memory
    chips don't like "brand y" chipsets. So there can be issues which
    have not been addressed by the people who write the BIOS. The chips
    have adjustments, such as clock skew, drive strength settings
    and the like, and not all of those may be exposed in the BIOS.
    And even if they were exposed, without a storage scope to look at,
    it may be hard to dial the thing in. Trying values in an eight bit
    register randomly, isn't going to lead to success quickly.

    On my own cheesy motherboard, 1GB sticks work fine, but 2GB sticks
    do not. And I've seen mention before, that the tuning for those
    is a bit different. Even though, if you look at some
    chip specs, a few of the specs appear to be identical.

    When I test my board, I can run Prime95 for a while without
    an error. Then, if I leave enough spare memory to run a game,
    I'll find that one Prime95 thread will die with an error,
    after the game starts. So in that example, adding the game
    does seem to make a difference to my test results. You can
    get Prime95 multithreaded here. You can test with Prime95
    by itself. Then "stop" and "exit", start WOW, alt-tab out,
    start Prime95 setting the custom memory setting to a
    reasonable value (don't use all the remaining memory), and
    then go back to WOW. See how long Prime95 runs under those
    conditions, and compare to how long Prime95 runs by itself.

    http://majorgeeks.com/Prime95_d4363.html

    On my Asrock motherboard with DDR2 RAM, I'm basically
    using the same settings I started with the first day
    I got the board. Because it isn't truly stable with
    anything else.

    For another experimental test case, you can drop down
    to a single 2GB stick, and see if that helps. If it
    does help, that lets Blizzard Tech Support off the
    hook :)

    Since you have an AMD processor, with the memory
    controller actually inside the processor, the
    chipset should not influence memory issues. It is
    the processor's ability to drive the memory bus, that
    is at issue. Sometimes, a little extra Vdimm will help.
    Or changing Command Rate to 2T, if it isn't there already.

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 22, 2009

  3. DaveN

    geoff Guest

    I don't give any credence to approved memory lists.

    Those lists are also not fixed in stone. It is the approved memory list at
    the time the manual was made or the web page was updated. Those lists
    change all the time but there is no way they could test every single type of
    memory, memory that would run fine on the board.

    --g

    geoff, Feb 23, 2009
  4. DaveN

    Onsokumaru Guest

    As above.

    What Blizzard is saying is code for "we don't have a clue"

    Why would the original run fine and not the expansion?

    Onsokumaru, Feb 23, 2009
  5. DaveN

    pokey man Guest

    Does that make us beta testers for them, then we complain to mfgr they take
    it off list if there are too many complaints... lol and we keep buying new
    gear

    pokey man, Feb 23, 2009
  6. DaveN

    Onsokumaru Guest

    If you're that concerned, then you buy from the list. MS do the same thing,
    but I expect it may cost the manufacturer to have your product "certified".

    I've never had a problem, other than bad memory, with buying cheap memory
    modules in any board.
    I could be wrong but I think a few of these memory manufactureres build
    outside the specs.

    Onsokumaru, Feb 25, 2009