    Thanks.

    ColBlip.
    E-mail:

    ColBlip, Mar 21, 2005

  2. ColBlip

    S.Heenan Guest

    Best in what regard ? Abit is often a little better than Asus for
    overclocking. In terms of stability and quality I find all three brands to
    be about equal. A better question might be to ask yourself, "Which chipset
    do I want ?" The nForce4 supports PCI-Express video cards and SLI. The VIA
    K8T800 Pro supports AGP video. The nForce4 also supports NCQ, the VIA
    chipsets do not.

    S.Heenan, Mar 21, 2005

  3. I'm interested in getting a 939 socket m/b and an Athlon64 3000+. I've
    I'm in a similar situation and I've been tracking the ASUS and Gigabyte
    newsgroups since around Christmas, since the nForce4 chipset became widely
    available. The ASUS board I've been interested in is the A8N-SLI. The
    Gigabyte board is the GA-K8NF-9. The Gigabyte board is considerably cheaper
    but also has less functionality than the ASUS board being based on the
    nForce4-4X chipset compared to the nForce4-SLI chipset. However, for me, the
    Gigabyte board has exactly the functionality I need, specifically run AMD64
    and a single PCI-Express video card. ASUS don't do a nForce4-4X board as far
    as I'm aware.

    I'm been particularly interested in the number of quirks and problems
    reported by people. Admittedly, you only get problems reports on the
    newsgroups but the level and type is a good indication of the stability of
    the board.

    Whilst people may argue otherwise, the ASUS A8N-SLI has had a far number of
    issues and a series of very rapid BIOS releases. This makes me a bit uneasy
    but at least ASUS are trying to resolve the issues. On the other hand, the
    GA-K8NF-9 has far fewer issues reported. It could be that it's not as
    popular but I can't say that for sure.

    I've recently had realy problems with a Gigabyte dual Athlon MP motherboard
    which was eventually thrown away but I don't think this is indicative of
    poor Gigabyte quality. More likely a bug/problem with the AMD chipset. I've
    built several systems around Gigabyte boards without a hiccup.

    So I'm going for the Gigabyte...

    Cheers, Rob.

    Rob Nicholson, Mar 22, 2005
  4. ColBlip

    joe~V~3838 Guest

    Hey colBlip, for a single pci-e video card board I'd go with
    the DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D or the MSI K8N Neo 4 Plat. N4
    boards.....

    of the 3 you listed I'd go with the Asus board..
    you want to make sure you get at least an ultra or better.....

    good luck
    joe

    joe~V~3838, Mar 22, 2005
  5. ColBlip

    - HAL9000 Guest

    "Leading" edge technology is often "bleeding" edge technology.
    Personally, I would avoid leading edge unless your bored...

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

    < snip >

    - HAL9000, Mar 22, 2005
  6. "Leading" edge technology is often "bleeding" edge technology.
    I very much agree which is why it's nearly 3 months since I started looking
    and I'm still watching. I often ask the vendor what revision of board they
    sell. Generally avoid v1.0 anything unless is older than six months.

    Rob.

    Rob Nicholson, Mar 23, 2005
  7. ColBlip

    S.Heenan Guest

    Good point about waiting for v1.x or v2.x boards. Regardless of the maker,
    most all new boards have small quirks.

    S.Heenan, Mar 23, 2005
  8. ColBlip

    - HAL9000 Guest

    Yea, the same can be said about first generation cpu's and northbridge
    chips. They all have quirks. The bios writers have to deal with
    their quirks.

    - HAL9000, Mar 23, 2005