Gigabyte: Please fix annoying GA-965P-DS3 behavior in BIOS

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Barry Watzman, Sep 9, 2006.

  1. I'm hoping that someone from Gigabyte reads this. This is a
    continuation of my reports about the new GA-965P-DS3 that I got today.
    The bios has one characteristic .... I'm confident in calling it a bug
    ..... that is very annoying. This is the F5 BIOS.

    This motherboard has CPU fan speed control to slow down the CPU fan
    speed when the CPU is running cool and doesn't need the fan. In fact it
    has several modes, I've tried them all, they all have this problem.

    The motherboard also has an "alarm" that it sounds when the CPU fan is
    not running. Very loud, annoying and obnoxious (as it should be).

    Here's the problem: Amazingly, as powerful as it is with 300 million
    transistors, the Core 2 Duo E6600 runs very, very cool (it really does,
    the heatsink generally feels COLD). In fact it runs so cool that the
    fan control OFTEN turns the fan completely off for short periods (a few
    seconds). Zero RPM. Dead stop. And it does this in both modes (the
    "Intel" mode and the "legacy" mode). And that in and of itself is not a
    problem.

    But, guess what, "dead stopped" is below the alarm threshold. (Well,
    Duh !!) So, at very regular intervals (more than once per minute) the
    CPU fan alarm goes off, because the fan is, in fact, not running.

    Hey, Gigabyte guys: when the fan is stopped BECAUSE THE BIOS TURNED IT
    OFF BECAUSE THE CPU WAS ***COLD***, the very same BIOS that turned the
    fan off shouldn't be turning on the alarm !!! Capiche?

    Sure, you can disable the alarm entirely. And sure, you can disable the
    fan speed control (fan would then run at 100% full speed continuously).
    But neither of those should be necessary. The fan speed control and
    the fan alarm, which are both part of the same BIOS, should be "talking
    to each other" so that you don't get an "alarm" because the CPU is
    running COLD.

    Pleas fix for the F6 bios.

    Thanks.
    Barry Watzman

    Barry Watzman, Sep 9, 2006

  2. Barry Watzman

    RussellS Guest

    Hi Barry,

    You could disable the fan alarms in BIOS settings, but be sure to have the
    CPU temperature monitor alarm enabled (probably for 70C threshold.) This
    should clear up your issue.

    RussellS, Sep 9, 2006

  3. Yes, I fully realize that disabling the alarms is an option, but that
    doesn't change the fact that it's stupid behavior on the part of the
    BIOS. It's like the BIOS' right hand (alarm) doesn't know that the
    BIOS' left hand (fan control) is doing.

    Barry Watzman, Sep 9, 2006
  4. Barry Watzman

    Impmon Guest

    Like getting keyboard error, press F1 to continue on POST screen when
    your keyboard won't work or isn't plugged in?

    Impmon, Sep 9, 2006
  5. Barry Watzman

    RussellS Guest

    Pretty much all recent motherboards that include advanced auto-fan
    speed/thermal control options, will exhibit identical behavior to what you
    had mentioned IF the BIOS is also set to have a fan warning alarm enabled.
    If you have temperature threshold warnings enabled (and you should on all
    motherboards with this capability) for the CPU (and MOFSETs on some boards)
    you shouldn't have to monitor fan speeds at all. If your temps start to
    climb or you get a thermal threshold alarm, you should know enough to check
    fans and heatsinks.

    Hope this helps.

    RussellS, Sep 9, 2006
  6. Barry Watzman

    Dave Doe Guest

    I set the CPU fan to run full - it's quiet anyway. (I don't like the
    way it stops and starts - I'd hate to think that with a bit of wear, the
    fan might stop one day, and 'stick' and not start up again). So as
    said, I run it flat out.

    Dave Doe, Sep 10, 2006