Gizmodo on Android

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Mark Swellman, Jun 6, 2010.

  1. Hum... It seems a lot is preaching in favor of Android.

    10 Things Android Does Better Than iPhone OS

    1: Android can Run Multiple Apps at the Same Time
    2: Android Keeps Information Visible on Your Home Screen
    3: Android Has a Better App Market(1)
    4: Android Gives You Better Notifications
    5: Android Lets You Choose Your Hardware
    6: Android Lets You Choose Your Carrier(2)
    7: Android Lets You Install Custom ROMs
    8: Android Lets You Change Your Settings Faste
    9: Android Does Google and Social Integration
    10: Android Gives You More Options to Fit Your Budget

    <http://gizmodo.com/5554293/10-things-android-does-better-than-iphone-os>

    Notes:
    (1) I don't give a shit about having more apps if they look like this:
    http://gizmodo.com/5555853/the-apple-app-stores-scams

    (2) Bad coverage is not an option for me:

    AT&T truly is the iPhone's weakest link. The iPhone's success turned the
    country's fastest 3G network into a staggering mess of dropped calls and
    dodgy data connections. If you lust after an iPhone and live in an area
    with poor AT&T coverage, you're stuck struggling with low signal
    quality, slow data speeds, and missed calls. Android devices are
    available on every major cellular carrier (although AT&T only offers a
    single, somewhat underpowered, Android phone). Verizon has the Motorola
    Droid, Droid Eris, and Droid Incredible to start. T-Mobile has the Nexus
    One, MyTouch 3G, Behold II, and will soon carry the MyTouch Slide. And
    Sprint has the Hero, Moment, and plans for the very promising Evo 4G. No
    matter where you live, Android lets you pick the carrier that's best for
    you.

    (2) I don't give a shit about having more apps if they look like this:

    http://gizmodo.com/5555853/the-apple-app-stores-scams

    I'm puzzled. Isn't Gizmodo a reliable source?

    Mark Swellman, Jun 6, 2010

  2. This article is being heavily discussed in the iphone newsgroup.

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 6, 2010

  3. Mark Swellman

    Guest Guest

    so can the iphone
    no it does not.
    how many people are actually going to do that? and where does the rom
    go in say, an htc evo?
    so does the iphone. so do macs and pcs.
    the price of an iphone is a little more than one month of service. if
    you can't afford that you shouldn't be getting an iphone.
    no.

    and as michelle noted, there's a newsgroup for iphones,
    misc.phone.mobile.iphone.

    Guest, Jun 6, 2010
  4. Mark Swellman

    JF Mezei Guest

    Android is the generic OS. One needs to look at specific handsets and
    how they are locked/restricted by individual networks to compare against
    the iphone/AT&T combo in the USA.

    For instance, iphone supports tethering, but AT&T blocks that feature.

    JF Mezei, Jun 6, 2010
  5. Mark Swellman

    Guest Guest

    it's not clear what carriers are going to do with that on android.
    sprint says they'll be charging $30 extra, but other carriers could
    potentially disable it entirely.

    Guest, Jun 6, 2010
  6. Depends upon where you are. Here an iPhone ranges in price depending upon
    the carrier, from 3600-4000 NIS, which at today's rate is between $935
    and over $1000.

    You can pay it off on your credit card in 36 payments, but a contract is
    only 12 months.

    Note that they work just as badly here as they do on AT&T if not worse.
    One friend of mine carries one as a pocket computer/pda, and a Nokia
    phone as a phone.

    Geoff.

    Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jun 6, 2010
  7. Very interesting discussion indeed!

    In "10 Things Android Does Better Than iPhone OS"

    Me, ...again writes:

    "One thing for me: the Motorola Android has a user-replaceable battery
    (iPhone: you have to send the whole thing back, and do your own
    backup/restore, to and from iTunes [an Apple scam to make you spend more
    money, and iTunes has bugs in it]). I know since I have an iPhone, and
    not that happy with it.

    "Another thing: the Motorola Android has more of a "real" keyboard (not
    great, but a little better than iPhones).

    "My iPhone wifi never worked, anywhere. Tried lots of things. YOu can
    google on "iphone wifi sucks" and get tons of hits. Lots of other people
    are having trouble, too. Apple even admits iPad wifi doesn't always
    work, either."

    =========================

    And Michelle Steiner -- that's you. I believe -- answers:

    "And lots more have had no problems."

    What a strong argument!

    I believe I'll buy an iPhone.

    Mark Swellman, Jun 6, 2010
  8. That's why Apple chose AT&T, I suppose :)

    Mark Swellman, Jun 6, 2010
  9. Very bad answer on first point: the iPhone doesn't offer multitasking.

    Excuse me for not reading the rest.

    Mark Swellman, Jun 6, 2010
  10. Mark Swellman

    Guest Guest

    it most certainly does and has since day one.

    prior to 4.0, apple apps can run in the background and with 4.0, third
    party apps can also.

    the ipod app can run in the background, as does mail, safari, clock,
    messages, phone and the push notification daemon, and i may have
    forgotten a couple others.
    your loss.

    Guest, Jun 6, 2010

  11. (With OS 4):

    Multitasking: It's here, finally. It's handled with a simple task
    switcher: double click your home button, and you get a list of running
    apps. Select, switch, done. Multitasking is limited to audio streaming,
    VoIP and GPS apps, as well as a few other allowances: they can finish
    specific, important tasks in the background, for example. As far as
    non-music/nav/VoIP apps, those can be suspended in the background, but
    not left running.

    http://gizmodo.com/5512635/iphone-os-40-all-the-new-features

    Mark Swellman, Jun 6, 2010
  12. Mark Swellman

    Guest Guest

    that's about third party apps.

    apple apps already run in the background.

    more information at <http://developer.apple.com/iphone/>

    Guest, Jun 6, 2010
  13. Very bad answer on first point: the iPhone doesn't offer multitasking.[/QUOTE]

    Yes it does, and starting very soon, maybe even tomorrow, it will offer it
    for all apps, not just selected ones—at least on the 3GS and following
    models. But even the 2G model offers it for selected apps.
    Good thing, considering how wrong you were with what you did read.

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 6, 2010
  14. Yup; if 5% have problems, and 95% have no problems (or even 10% and 90%),
    that is a strong argument.
    Personally, I don't give a shit what you buy.

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 6, 2010
  15. Mark Swellman

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Jun 6, 2010
  16. Mark Swellman

    Wes Groleau Guest

    The iPhone on-screen keyboard is inconvenient.

    Mechanical keyboards with keys tinier than the
    iPhone's screen keys SUCK.

    So, if keybaord were the only criteria, it would
    be a choice between "inconveniennt" and "sucks"

    Wes Groleau, Jun 6, 2010
  17. LOL. Very nice.

    Steve

    Steven Fisher, Jun 6, 2010
  18. Apple's simplifying for people who don't care about technology. If
    you're posting a Gizmodo article to comp.sys.mac.system, you can handle
    the technical and complete truth.

    Steve

    Steven Fisher, Jun 6, 2010
  19. You know the info is there? Quote.

    Mark Swellman, Jun 6, 2010
  20. Mark Swellman

    Guest Guest

    do your own research. some of it is under non-disclosure.

    explain how an iphone can check mail in the background, play music in
    the background, download files in the background and receive push
    notifications, phone calls and sms/mms messages at any time, if it
    could not multitask.

    Guest, Jun 6, 2010