    experience be any better? Not really.

    From the initial benchmarks I've seen on the Source engine it looks like
    HL2 will also perform decently on this card. Even though it may be
    forced to the DX8.1 code path.

    I may still buy a 6800. But it's nice to know that even if I don't my
    current FX5900XT should carry me through this year.

    wgd, Aug 29, 2004

  2. wgd

    twobirds Guest

    Doom3 ran beautifully with my TI-4600. The only thing off was FSAA at
    1024X768.

    I installed far cry the other day, though. Without FSAA, it makes me a
    little queezy. It is sort of like the feeling staring at a 55 or 60hz
    monitor will give a lot of people. An upgrade might just be in my future ;)

    twobirds, Aug 29, 2004

  3. wgd

    Eric Guest

    I have 5900xt (with a P4 2.6 and 1 GB memory). You can play Doom3 on 1024 x
    768 (high quality). Sometimes a slight hitch when a new door opens (but
    that's it).

    You get better visuals and sound that way -- you should play high quality
    (no Anti aliasing though), but with 8x AF.

    And definitely do NOT buy the 6800. The 6600 GT is coming out for less than
    $200.00 (or you might be able to get an OEM only 6800 LE for the same
    money). Both will be great.

    Eric, Aug 29, 2004