    is all the tech support you get for free no more lifetime support. They
    are also moving their headquarters again and the stores are all up for
    sale or will be closed.

    Steve W., Apr 2, 2004

  2. Steve W.

    Quaoar Guest

    Gateway earned everything they are now facing. They started out in the
    computer business in the late 1980's making second-rate machines, they
    enlarged their business on the dollars of unsuspecting computer newbies
    in the mid 1990's, and failed to grasp the concepts of quality control
    and quality assurance that other marketers instituted in the late
    1990's. The marketed entire new lines of computers that had
    fundamental defects that should never have passed the prototype stage.
    They are their own worst enemy.

    Quaoar, Apr 2, 2004

  3. Steve W.

    EdH Guest

    But their machines are still more reliable than Dell's.

    EdH, Apr 2, 2004
  4. Steve W.

    Tom Scales Guest

    Really? What statistics can you share to support this bizarre contention?

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Apr 2, 2004
  5. I'm sure there's a reason for this thread being in this group. I just
    haven't figured it out.

    Rocky

    Rocket J. Squirrel, Apr 2, 2004
  6. Steve W.

    Guest Guest

    Total BS.

    Just goes to show that anyone with an internet connection and a keyboard
    can't spout boundless drivel. Quite frankly, Gateway was a consistent
    innovator that made some mistakes, however, they never made second rate
    machines. All OEMs use the same parts anyway, idiot! Get your facts in
    order before you insert your foot in your big mouth and make yourself look
    like an illiterate putz!

    As for Dell, they're starting to make some of the same mistakes; it's known
    in business circles as the maturation of a company. It happens to the best
    of them.

    Guest, Apr 2, 2004
  7. Steve W.

    Robert Guest

    They pulled completely out the NZ market (& most of Asia-Pacific) - glad I
    don't own one here.

    Robert, Apr 2, 2004
  8. Steve W.

    Hank Arnold Guest

    Bullsh*t............... I've owned 3 Dells and have ordered and installed
    almost 40 at the Hospice I support. Zero problems..... I repeat Zero
    problems.....

    Hank Arnold, Apr 2, 2004
  9. Steve W.

    S.Lewis Guest

    Stanky troll bait.

    S.Lewis, Apr 2, 2004
  10. Steve W.

    skids Guest

    HA HA April Fool, right

    skids, Apr 2, 2004
  11. Steve W.

    Quaoar Guest

    Dell never has, to my knowledge, which is not much, had to recall entire
    lines of newly-marketed computers. Well, Gateway didn't either, but had
    their offices been accessible there would have been mobs breaking down
    the doors. Having owned both Dell and Gateway, at work and at home,
    Dell is far more reliable than Gateway and Dell's service is so much
    better that a comparison is ludicrous. Frankly, I think Gateway just
    went to Taiwan and bought quantities of whatever they could get most
    cheaply without any in-company QA process. Their laptops are junk.
    Their desktops are little better. They earned their difficulties.

    Quaoar, Apr 2, 2004
  12. Steve W.

    Quaoar Guest

    Right. Gateway closed their own usenet support groups in 1998 simply
    because many of their new offerings were failed right out of the box and
    their one-time purchaser customer base was revolting. Several of their
    "innovations", the Gateway Solo 9100xl (1997/8) and the D600 (I believe
    that is the designation, 2001) were abject reliability failures, despite
    glowing report from CNET and the rest of that bunch. Mainboards and
    video chips on the former had lifetimes of hours, and the latter had a
    power key capacitor that prevented it from booting a second time and GW
    simply could not admit the problem. Both of these were flagship products
    that demonstrated, according to Gateway, the company's technical
    prowess. Neither were inexpensive. The former was $4K, the latter $3K.
    Both made nifty doorstops. These are just two examples. BTW, Gateway
    made none of their computers, they just sent the sales address to Taiwan
    as do other vendors. Their problems were not the components, but
    fundamentals like contracting a reliable mainboard.

    Quaoar, Apr 2, 2004
  13. Let me know if you're planning any more ad hominem attacks, so I can save
    time by putting you in my kill file right away.

    Rocky

    Rocket J. Squirrel, Apr 2, 2004
  14. It's so Tom Scales can beat the Dell drum. I just wish he hadn't reneged on
    his pledge a few months ago to post less.

    Being in denial is a debilitating psychological condition though I guess.

    Glenn Banwell, Apr 2, 2004
  15. puny squirrel brain thinks he's big squirrel on campus when he's just road
    kill. stick it where the sun don't shine rodent face.

    pppphhhhfffffffttttttt, Apr 2, 2004
  16. Steve W.

    Tom Scales Guest

    You quote Rocket and then attack me? I didn't promise not to be Pro-Dell, I
    promised not to attack posters.

    And I haven't.

    Too bad YOU didn't keep the pledge.

    Tom Scales, Apr 2, 2004
  17. Steve W.

    Kevin M Guest

    I think Dell is facing some loss of market share as well. I service PC's and
    many people who have bought Dell within the past year have not been happy.
    Dell's customer service has become a mere joke. You are lucky if you call
    and get someone who can even speak English. For desktop PC's, I recommend a
    custom built PC. As for Laptops, I recommend Toshiba and IBM. Both are much
    better built machines than the Dell laptops.

    Kevin

    Kevin M, Apr 3, 2004
  18. Steve W.

    Kevin M Guest

    Well, there's a surprise post coming from Tom Scales (aka: Tom Dell)!

    Kevin M, Apr 3, 2004
  19. Steve W.

    Buck Rogers Guest

    We heard you the first time! ;)

    Buck

    Buck Rogers, Apr 3, 2004
  20. Steve W.

    Tom Scales Guest

    I asked a legitimate question. Do YOU have such statistics.

    Tom Scales, Apr 3, 2004