  1. Steve W.

    Kevin M Guest

    Tom, close your eyes and repeat ten times: "Dell is not perfect"!

    Kevin M, Apr 3, 2004

  2. Steve W.

    Tom Scales Guest

    you truly need to re-read your posts if you believe that is my position.

    Tom Scales, Apr 3, 2004

  3. Steve W.

    David Nimon Guest

    Perhaps Tom has never had the 'pleasure' as we Canadians do of having to
    call Dell Support.

    For us, the answer (when we can understand it because of the accent) is
    always 'Do a complete reinstall'.

    Need I add where we get directed to for support?

    Thought not..............

    David Nimon, Apr 3, 2004
  4. Steve W.

    Tom Scales Guest

    What the hell did I do to start getting abused? Do you even know anything
    about my posts?

    Tom Scales, Apr 3, 2004
  5. Steve W.

    Joan Hansen Guest

    I'm in the US and have had the pleasure of not understanding the Tech's
    accent. I hung up immediately and emailed my problem. It got resolved
    within a work week. The tech who came to correct the problem spoke with
    an Ohio accent. :)

    You know if everyone stopped complaining about calling and getting tech
    voice support from (which truly most of us cannot understand the accent)
    India, and we chose to email instead, maybe Dell would get the message
    we can't understand them.

    Griping on the newsgroup about it, makes me wonder if too many of us
    have too much time on their hands, and no problems with their Dell
    system. :)

    Dell Tech has never told me to reinstall the OS. I only call when I
    know I have a hardware problem. Software is not their problem, unless
    you didn't install anything and the system is not working properly, that
    will usually show up immediately or within the 30 days, send it back and
    order another one. It will never work properly.

    Joan

    Joan Hansen, Apr 3, 2004
  6. Steve W.

    David Nimon Guest

    Unless the software is Dell's own Media Experience where, one day, it
    refused to run with a message that file such and such was missing. The call
    to support gave the suggested solution: reinstall.

    I chose to do without Media Experience instead.

    David Nimon, Apr 3, 2004
  7. Steve W.

    Joan Hansen Guest

    I would of too. Most of that stuff is junk programs. Didn't you get
    the program on one of Dell's CD's?

    Joan

    Joan Hansen, Apr 3, 2004
  8. Steve W.

    Cynthia G Guest

    I tried that, and the e-mail tech was very quick - sent me a script to
    try, none of which applied, then confirmed what I knew (DVDRW drive as
    shot, less than a month old).

    Unfoirtunately, in Canada e-mail support cannot authorise anything
    because they're in the US. So, I had to call... Took me 40 minutes to
    convince the "tech" - reading from a script that I needed a new drive.

    He had trouble understanding me and me him. He simply could not
    understand that the drive read/wrote CD but did nothing with DVD. I
    explained it to him 4 times and told him e-mail support had confirmed I
    need a new drive.

    I don't know what these guys get to see when I tell them my service tag
    and name and address - obviously not a profile of my PC since this guy
    could alos not comprehend that I had a DVDRom and DVDRW and therefore
    could easily verify that there was nothing wrong with the 12 different
    DVDs that I had tried. I followed him and deleted some stuff in the
    registry which screwed up many many other things. I was running a
    system restore back to immediately before I called him when I was giving
    him my address *again* to get the drive sent to me.

    But, eventually a new drive was sent to me and I replaced it and all is
    well. (I had the old one over a month before I convinced Dell that I
    was going to throw it out if they didn't want it back because they never
    ssent me the return envelope for it - but that's another issue and was
    finally done with Canadian web support)

    I pity the newbies who don't know enough to back up - restore point,
    before they call support (he didn't even tell me to back up my registry
    before deleting keys in it). This was so obviously not a software
    issue. I was actively waiting for him to tell me reinstall XP.

    Cynthia G, Apr 3, 2004
  9. Steve W.

    David Nimon Guest

    Yes, Joan, I did ....but the support guy said I'd need to do a reinstall of
    XP itself when I hung up (politely, though <g>).

    David Nimon, Apr 4, 2004
  10. Steve W.

    JustMe Guest

    I would disagree with the comments about the Solo 9100xl. I have one and
    have no problems. It is about 4 1/2 years old and I still use it. I did
    buy a dell 600 m and have been less than satisfied with it, as well as dell
    support. The only reason I replaced the Solo is because of the age - it was
    just getting too slow. The only reason I replaced with Dell was the rumors
    about Gateway going under...and I wanted warranty repairs if needed. My
    next laptop will be a Gateway if they are still around. It seem blue
    screens are a way of life with the 600m. I have reloaded and still
    frequently get blue screens...Never did get a resolution from Dell support.

    JustMe, Apr 4, 2004
  11. Steve W.

    Joan Hansen Guest

    David, I do feel sorry for computer newbies, but we all had to learn the
    hard way, especially if you bought your first computer back in the late
    80's. I still do many things in dos and the Win dos prompt. Old habits
    die hard I guess. :)

    Joan

    Joan Hansen, Apr 4, 2004
  12. Steve W.

    Joan Hansen Guest

    Wow Cynthia, I would think Dell had email support on the web site where
    you purchased PC's from in Canada. Bummer :-(

    Joan

    Joan Hansen, Apr 4, 2004
  13. Steve W.

    Cynthia G Guest

    I would had thought so too. But the link warns that it's taking you to
    US support, but I thought that they could at least e-mail Canada and
    tell them what's what, but no luck.

    I eventually found a customer service e-mail address on the Canadian
    site (it was well buried) but had to fill out a form and none of the
    pre-selected categories fit my problem (still had their broken drive and
    wanted to give it back to them). After three replies of use the form on
    page... I finally got someone to understand that the form didn't fit and
    if they told they didn't want it I would throw it out.

    Cynthia G, Apr 4, 2004
  14. Steve W.

    David Nimon Guest

    Hardly a newbie here, Joan....I was TEACHING computer courses in high school
    in 1970!

    Having said that, all that experience has taught me to know enough to know
    when I don't know enough!!

    Ah DOS, them were the days..............

    David Nimon, Apr 4, 2004
  15. If DOS and cosmic consciousness would return, life couldn't be better...

    Rocky

    Rocket J. Squirrel, Apr 4, 2004
  16. Steve W.

    Joan Hansen Guest

    Ah yes fella's dos. I still have two systems 486 3.1 & Dos, Pentium
    Win98SE reboots to dos. I will never give up my Tex Murphy series of
    games. :) I'm 71 and I think I will be covered with dos and Tex for
    rest of my life, I hope!!

    Joan

    Joan Hansen, Apr 4, 2004
  17. Steve W.

    Joan Hansen Guest

    Did you eventually get it straightened out with email? US'form asks the
    same, but gives you a place to explain your problem. My 8300 has no
    screws in the system and the little green plastic clamp holding the PCI
    cards would not stay clamped down. I just kept asking for screws in the
    message that would work, cause the holes are there. :) My return email
    said we are sending a tech to replace your motherboard. Ouch :-( Tech
    agreed I didn't need the motherboard, he ordered the clamp and was back
    out the next day to install it. You know between the hard to understand
    accent when you call, and email, Dell pays a lot of money to these Tech
    Companies for servicing. Two trips because Dell doesn't stock any items
    with the tech company they use. Dell pays for next day delivery. :-(

    But at least with all the Dell's I have purchased 6 in all, I really
    haven't had any hardware problems to speak of. They are all still in use.

    Joan

    Joan Hansen, Apr 4, 2004
  18. Steve W.

    dude Guest

    i had a custom pc built with the following:
    antec sonata case with 380watt antec power supply
    intel d865perll mainboard with latest p14 bios
    sony 16x dvd-rom drive, liteon 52x32x52 cdrw
    crucial.com ddr 3200 ram
    crucial.com radeon 9600pro 128meg video card with latest ati.com
    drivers
    western digital 80gig 8meg cache hard disk
    sound blaster pci 128 sound card
    internal usr performance pro modem v.92 with latest usr drivers
    xp pro full version

    been getting intermittent blue screens as described at the following
    link:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314492

    i did a reformat and reinstall of xp pro and still get the
    intermittent bad pool caller errors.

    so much for having a computer custom built. seems like blue screens
    follow me from new computer to new computer on custom built ones.

    am considering my next computer from www.buympc.com or
    www.falcon-nw.com. what i like about either of these companies is the
    first one is cheaper than dell when configuring online and both allow
    selecting of exact components.
    i've read that at buympc.com that the same technician on the phone is
    assigned to a customer's computer problems.

    so is my blue screen error likely faulty drivers, bad software or bad
    hardware?

    i had a toshiba pcx2600 modem attached via ethernet cat 5e cabling &
    that was the last thing i had added hardware wise. since then ive
    removed it and gone back to the rented cable modem from the cable
    company. could it be the toshiba modem even though it was connected
    via ethernet was causing the problem?

    most other people that i know of with either almost one year old dell
    computers or newer dell computers dont have blue screen errors. also,
    people that i know that have custom built pc's don't have these
    problems.

    any insights?

    dude, Apr 4, 2004
  19. Steve W.

    Cynthia G Guest

    Not to replace the drive - that took a (long) call. But to give them
    back the bad drive, they were supposed to send a purolator return
    envelope for it - I specifically asked for it from the tech - who said
    yes, but clearly had no idea what I was talking about and wanted to get
    rid of me because he had *solved* my issue.

    Eventually got the envelope - only after the third message clearly
    stating that if they wrote back that they didn't want it I would throw
    it away - no problem. But a month of sitting my liing room was too
    much.

    I wrote this in the explanation space of the form message - but got at
    least 2 replies telling me to go to their site and fill out the
    appropriate form. There is no form for "take your broken stuff back - I
    don't want it"!

    Cynthia G, Apr 4, 2004
  20. Steve W.

    BWL Guest