GMCFESIL: (Guy Macon's Cure For Electronics Soaked In Liquids)

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Guy Macon, Oct 16, 2007.

  1. Guy Macon

    Guy Macon Guest

    In your case you have to balance the odds of further cleaning fixing
    the problem against the odds of further cleaning making things worse.

    If you decide to try cleaning it, here is how:

    GMCFESIL: (Guy Macon's Cure For Electronics Soaked In Liquids)

    (Feel free to repost, but please include this reference
    to my webpage at [ http://www.guymacon.com/ ].)

    [1] Do not attempt to power the device up to see if it
    still works. Doing so is likely to damage the
    electronics.

    [2] Remove all power sources. Unplug the device and
    remove all batteries, including soldered in batteries
    if you can.

    [3] Disassemble the device as well as your skills allow.
    If there is a paper cone speaker or other part that
    looks like it might be damaged by water, set it aside.

    [4] Go outside with a garden hose or put it in the sink
    and flush it with clean water to try to remove any
    soap, coffee, urine, or whatever else you managed to
    get in there.

    [5] Use a 1/2 gallon jug of distilled water (make sure it's
    the distilled kind) and flush out the normal water.

    [6] Use a bottle or two of isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol to
    flush the distilled water out. For antique devices
    that may have natural rubber in them, use pure drinking
    alcohol. In either case, the higher the proof/percentage
    the better.

    [7] Put it in a warm, dry place until you can't smell any
    alcohol. Then leave it for at least another day before
    reassembling and testing.

    [8] If you are in a hurry, you can try to accelerate step
    six with a fan, blow drier, etc. It's up to you to
    insure that you don't start an alcohol fire.

    [9] If there are any moving parts that need lubrication or
    parts that are protected from corrosion by a coating
    that might be washed away by the above steps, you may
    have to add appropriate lubrication and/or coating
    afterward. If possible, remove all such parts in
    step 3.

    Guy Macon
    http://www.guymacon.com/

    Guy Macon, Oct 16, 2007

  2. Guy Macon

    SumGuy Guest

    Can't you buy some kind of solvent from electronic shops for this kind of
    thing?

    You just spray it on and let it evaporate?

    SumGuy, Oct 17, 2007

  3. Guy Macon

    Wes Newell Guest

    Spray with something like windex or most any household cleaner like
    advantage. Rinse in hot water. Dry as fast as possible to avoid corrosion.
    Been doing this for years. I've washed everything from from small circuit
    boards to motherboards in the case this way. of course use a little common
    sense and remove any fans, speakers, paper parts, etc. prior to washing.
    Preferred method is spray real good. Rinse and dry. Make sure you rinse
    good. I ussually submerge the part in a sink or bathtub for larger items.
    Shake well after rinse to remove as much water as possible. Blow dry if
    possible. Let sit in bright sun for a while. IOW's, dry it good and fast.

    Wes Newell, Oct 17, 2007
  4. SumGuy wrote:

    | Can't you buy some kind of solvent from electronic shops for this
    | kind of thing?

    I'm an antique device ... so I'll have to be sure to use a bottle or two of
    pure drinking alcohol. As per step [6] "the higher the proof/percentage the
    better."

    Bird Janitor®

    Bird Janitor®, Oct 17, 2007