    buy some proprietary product?
    I'm looking for some advices, info and experiences about those.

    Thanks a lot.

    djordj, Apr 14, 2007

  2. djordj

    FreeRTOS.org Guest

    As far as I know the GNUARM debugger is just GDB, which is reliable but
    somewhat limited by modern standards of usability. I personally use Insight
    as a GUI to GDB, but this is not always so good on a Windoze host. There is
    some build information on the following page:
    http://www.freertos.org/portlpc2106.html with regards to this (go to the
    homepage to see the menu frame). For an open source solution people are
    using Eclipse more and more, but I have yet to overcome a few hurdles with
    that. Rowley provide a professional quality IDE for GCC at a very
    reasonable price.

    The FreeRTOS.org site contains some sample projects for all the compilers
    you mention (the old Keil compiler included, the new ARM/Keil combo is not
    yet in the download). You could get eval versions of each and try out the
    projects to get a feel for each.

    --
    Regards,
    Richard.

    + http://www.FreeRTOS.org
    A free real time kernel for 8, 16 and 32bit systems.

    + http://www.SafeRTOS.com
    An IEC 61508 compliant real time kernel for safety related systems.

    FreeRTOS.org, Apr 14, 2007

  3. djordj

    Leon Guest

    The Rowley software is very good, they use the gcc compiler with their
    own IDE and debugger.

    Leon

    Leon, Apr 14, 2007
  4. djordj

    djordj Guest

    Leon presented the following explanation :
    Yes, it's at the top of the list, due to its low price.
    As it uses GNUARM, I suppose that I can use even eclipse with a JTAG
    bridge, but I'm very scared about debugging possibilities.
    As for Keil & IAR, I can't figure out (as now) how much do they cost: I
    think some thousands dollars.

    djordj, Apr 14, 2007
  5. djordj

    djordj Guest

    After serious thinking djordj wrote :
    Just a little update.
    During this weekend I've bring up my eclipse installation (I usually
    use Eclipse for Java and C/C++ programming - with CDT) and create a
    small GTK+ Win32 project.
    I've found that GTK+ uses C language (not C++ like other GUI toolkits),
    so I think that this could be better in order to build a simulated
    enviroment used to develop the embedded application.

    Now I'm using MinGW 5.x GCC compiler and make, so I suppose that the
    step to ARMGNU should be small.

    The only think I'm concerned still remains the GDB interface, but I've
    read on the net that Eclipse con be used (quite easily) with OpenOCD
    and other JTAG interfaces (or so I hope!).

    djordj, Apr 15, 2007
  6. djordj

    David Brown Guest

    If you want arm gcc along with a ready-to-run Eclipse environment with
    debugger, look at www.codesourcery.com . You can get a free gcc setup,
    or buy a subscription to the gcc with Eclipse for the debugger front
    end. I haven't tried their ARM tools, but I use their ColdFire tools
    (although I actually prefer command line gdb over Eclipse for a lot of
    my work). A big advantage is that Code Sourcery are the official
    maintainers of these gcc ports, so you get the latest improvements to
    the compiler, and if you have problems or questions, their technical
    people know what they are talking about!

    mvh.,

    David

    David Brown, Apr 16, 2007
  7. djordj

    rickman Guest

    Another place you can get these tools is www.gnuarm.com. There is a
    There are some differences between the CodeSourcery tools and the
    "official" Free Software Foundation sources. So you can choose your
    poison.

    rickman, Apr 16, 2007
  8. djordj

    djordj Guest

    If you want arm gcc along with a ready-to-run Eclipse environment with
    Thank you for the link!

    djordj, Apr 16, 2007
  9. djordj

    David Brown Guest

    Yes, there are some differences - the free CodeSourcery tools have
    pretty much the same backend as the next version of the FSF tools will
    have, while the subscription versions have the same backend as the
    version after that (the frontends are all much the same, although some
    CodeSourcery developers work on the frontend and middle "end" too).

    CodeSourcery are the official maintainers of the ColdFire and ARM ports
    of gcc. So their versions are always ahead of FSF versions - it takes a
    long time to get changes through the FSF bureaucracy (for good reason -
    it's a complex system, and they don't want gcc to get broken by poorly
    tested contributions). So if you want to be able to compile your
    ColdFire code with a "-mcpu=5213" flag for the MCF5213 processor, you
    can download CodeSourcery's binaries or source tarball now, or you can
    wait a couple of years for gcc 4.3 to be officially released. Paid
    subscriptions get faster access to the latest developments, along with
    debugger improvements and Eclipse builds (if you want to use it). Pay
    some more, and you get professional level telephone support rather than
    just mailing list support (the developers are active on the list).

    I haven't used the ARM, but my understanding is that the same thing
    applies there.

    Of course, there are many reasons for wanting to stay with the standard
    FSF versions. But I'd just like people to be aware of the CodeSourcery
    option, whether you are wanting the free version or to pay for a
    subscription version. I don't know how the Rowley ARM tools compare to
    CodeSourcery's, and I don't know how much Rowley contributes back to the
    FSF or modifies the compiler themselves, but I *do* know that
    CodeSourcery know what they are doing with the tools.

    David Brown, Apr 17, 2007
  10. On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 13:57:22 +0000, FreeRTOS.org wrote:

    ....snip...
    Have you used ddd?

    M.

    Marcin Wolcendorf, Apr 22, 2007