Good Bye ASUS Hello Apple G5 WoW!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Art C., Jul 10, 2003.

  1. Art C.

    Art C. Guest

    Art C., Jul 10, 2003

  2. Art C.

    Bill Guest

    Bill, Jul 10, 2003

  3. Art C.

    Bill Guest

    Back already? That was a short trip! Enjoy the ride?

    Bill

    Bill, Jul 10, 2003
  4. Art C.

    Ed Guest

    Ed, Jul 10, 2003
  5. I for one am not convinced. There have been many articles that
    demonstrate how the benchmark results obtained by Apple are highly suspect.
    This is no doubt a decent fast architecture, but to say it's faster than
    anything put out by Intel and AMD is simply incorrect according to the most
    recent information. Further, it's not even the first 64-bit PC as claimed in
    the advertisements.

    Apple is very good with marketing however, I will grant them that.

    John

    John Maynard Keynes, Jul 10, 2003
  6. Art C.

    Ed Guest

    If they were very good their market share wouldn't be so pathetic. ;p

    Ed, Jul 10, 2003
  7. I think Apple products tend to be of a price point that most people
    don't feel to comfortable with, hence the low sales. Price is at least part
    of their problem. You're definitely paying for the name. Too bad the name
    doesn't stand for honesty.

    John

    John Maynard Keynes, Jul 10, 2003
  8. And what would have been the first 64 bit PC if this is not the one?? They
    are not talking about processor here but 'Persona Computer'.

    R.

    Roberto Migliorati, Jul 10, 2003
  9. Heh yes

    The latest I hear is that they built a custom MB /without audio/ for
    their 2 GHz Power PC vs. P4 shootout.

    Josh

    Joshua P. Hill, Jul 10, 2003
  10. Art C.

    rstlne Guest

    They all Fear something they dont understand ;).. I have only ever used a
    mac to print some pictures off (sucks when your working in the printshop at
    like 11:30pm and the seperations dont work cause the origitnal prints were
    done wrong) err back to the point..
    They just fear it ;)
    It's probably spooky as hell to them too that a MAC system has been able to
    read fat32, and fat16....
    as for the software, yea your right.. most games release for mac's these
    days.. and there are just as many applications as any ibm can have, Most
    people dont realise that a mac has been one of the better systems for using
    on the net too, It's so unrestricted (compared to windows) for the basic
    user.. or it was back in the day (from what I remember reading back in the
    day)
    :)

    now
    one other thing
    Price up a Dual Opteron server from a good company :)
    2 x 240 = 520
    msi mobo = 450
    not having Intel Inside = Priceless

    rstlne, Jul 10, 2003
  11. Art C.

    Ed Guest

    Yeah ok, ;p

    Ed, Jul 10, 2003
  12. Art C.

    Raven Guest

    I'm sorry, but unless you are going to be running some sort of server there
    is far more software available for Windows. It's been the most used
    operating system for the last 10 years. 90% of the world is using
    Windows... the vast majority of consumer software is written for Windows.
    Yes, but when you use a Macintosh you are limiting your choices. Instead of
    having maybe 20 different choices in software in Windows, you have maybe 2
    on the Mac, or in some cases even 1. The Mac is very encapsulated, it is
    intended to be a black box that sits there, with the hardware that Apple
    wants it to run (doesn't upgrade like a PC) and the software that Apple
    wants it to run (limited choices.) When you get a PC, 1 year later you
    might want to swap in a faster processor for $100. On a Mac? Forget it!
    You have to wait 3 years for their next product or buy a complete new system
    for $3000
    The dual 2Ghz G5, the one they advertise as fastest PC on the planet, is
    $3000 base. My PC, a 2.4ghz P4C overclocked to 3.1ghz, cost under $750.
    And in tests done by Dell with the P4 3.0ghz with the same benchmark that
    Apple uses to make its claim at being the fastest PC on the planet, Dell
    scored better! Why? Because Apple turned OFF hyper-threading, PAT, and
    basically everything else that makes a P4C what it is!

    Raven, Jul 10, 2003
  13. Art C.

    Mitch_A Guest

    How about just port OSX to run PC hardware? Id be happy to give em a
    sawbuck for the OS, scrap the rest of the proprietary crap.

    Mitch

    Mitch_A, Jul 10, 2003
  14. Art C.

    Mitch_A Guest

    Buying an Apple is nothing more than a political statement for people with
    more money than sense :)

    Mitch_A, Jul 10, 2003
  15. Art C.

    tk Guest

    That's right, get real! Like anyone who can build their own pc is gonna
    switch
    to Mac?? Kinda takes the fun out of it with their monopoly on hardware.

    tk, Jul 11, 2003
  16. Art C.

    nova4 Guest

    $14,000 for a computer with less than 2 percent (and falling)
    marketshare, a processor with a doubtful future, and an OS that's
    basically a ten-year-old flavor of Unix (the ironically named Carnegie
    Mellon Mach) with a new GUI grafted onto it. Not to mention the
    commodity hardware that's been hobbled to interface only with Macs and
    sold at three or four times the prices of the originals. Did I forget
    to mention the classy Apple Fisher-Price design motif? My little
    sister will love it! Sweet! It would be cheap at twice the price!

    nova4, Jul 11, 2003
  17. Art C.

    Justin Tyme Guest

    Nothing's wrong with Unix but why do you want to run an ancient
    version of it that's been dumbed down for the discriminating Mac user?
    What's wrong with SuSE or Mandrake or Solaris? Since Apple did not
    publish any benchmarks against the Opteron, it's probably safe to
    assume that there's a reason, namely, the Opteron will wipe the floor
    with the G5 and for a much lower price. Apple long ago became nothing
    but a retailer of fashion accessories for computer illiterates but its
    aging and clueless base these days looks pretty much like Steve Jobs
    himself: a flabby, aging would-be hipster in too-tight jeans and a
    paunchy black turtleneck who generally has the demeanor of someone
    coming off of or going into (depending on the subject) a three-day
    crack binge. And of course you can always run Windows 2000/XP/2003, a
    truly modern operating system that isn't carrying thirty-plus years of
    baggage, designed from the ground up by the best OS development team
    of all time, Dave Cutler and the team responsible for most of DEC's
    OSes, one of which (VMS) was often called "Unix done right."

    Justin Tyme, Jul 11, 2003
  18. Don't bother. They were already caught cheating in their
    published benchmark testing. As usual for Apple, twice the
    price half the performance.

    Nobody_of_Consequence, Jul 11, 2003
  19. Art C.

    rstlne Guest

    I'm sorry, but unless you are going to be running some sort of server
    there
    3.11 isnt supported anymore (nice to see someone quote how long it's been
    used)

    The upgrades would only be like that on "Embedded" systems, p4, via c3,
    duron, athlon all come in embedded systems also (and yes I see users saying
    how can I upgrade my processor).. So the cheap mac's cant have a processor
    upgrade.. neither can 90% of dells "small" systems..

    The software is a lame issue to be honest... You dont see it because you
    dont buy things in that isle of the store, that isle of the store isnt the
    largest because there arent as many people willing to buy it.. and maybee
    there are more programs for "Windows" because not one is verry damn good ..
    I dont think dells should ever be quoted as useful, if you are a DELL owner
    then that's nearly the same as being a MAC owner

    rstlne, Jul 11, 2003
  20. Art C.

    Justin Tyme Guest

    Thanks for making my point about computer illiterates; if you only had
    a third child in the media business, the trinity would be complete.
    Apple's ONLY fatal mistake? Apple's made a phonebook of mistakes, as
    their marketshare well demonstrates: In the last two quarters, Apple's
    marketshare has dropped from 2.3 to 1.9 percent, which is pretty much
    the equivalent of falling like a rock. Selling $14,000 (or even
    $2,000) computers is probably not the ticket out of this Hero to Zero
    story.

    Justin Tyme, Jul 11, 2003