    Harry

    P.S. I'm more of an office user than a gamer, so the most I can justify
    spending on a graphics card is $75 bucks.

    Harry Muscle, Jul 2, 2003

  2. If that's your budget, then the GF FX5200 would be the card.
    The GF3, or ATI 8500 cards are either on par, or better (depending on
    what GF FX5200, GF3, and ATI 8500 you compare), than the FX5200, but
    they are DX8 cards, and the ones with DVI, and TV connectors seemed to
    be priced higher than the FX5200 with the same connectors.
    Why get a card from Ebay? At www.pricewatch.com, there is the
    Prolink Pixelview FX5200 starting at $72.00 shipped. It is clocked at
    275Mhz core, and 500Mhz memory out of the box, and has DVI, and TV
    connectors. There other brands priced as low as $62.00 shipped, but
    you have to be careful your not getting a 64bit memory bus instead of
    the 128bit memory bus card, and that it has all the connectors you
    need. Make sure you know what your getting when buying an FX5200.

    Larry Roberts, Jul 2, 2003

  3. Harry Muscle

    KSlater Guest

    I'd go with the FX5200 hands down.

    KSlater, Jul 3, 2003
  4. Harry Muscle

    Dave Guest

    Yeah, I like the Prolink 5200. GF3 speed (GF4 ti4200 speed when AA is
    turned on) and DX9.
    Dave

    Dave, Jul 3, 2003
  5. Harry Muscle

    jhgd Guest

    -
    - If that's your budget, then the GF FX5200 would be the card.
    -The GF3, or ATI 8500 cards are either on par, or better (depending on
    -what GF FX5200, GF3, and ATI 8500 you compare), than the FX5200, but
    -they are DX8 cards, and the ones with DVI, and TV connectors seemed to
    -be priced higher than the FX5200 with the same connectors.
    - Why get a card from Ebay? At www.pricewatch.com, there is the
    -Prolink Pixelview FX5200 starting at $72.00 shipped. It is clocked at
    -275Mhz core, and 500Mhz memory out of the box, and has DVI, and TV
    -connectors. There other brands priced as low as $62.00 shipped, but
    -you have to be careful your not getting a 64bit memory bus instead of
    -the 128bit memory bus card, and that it has all the connectors you
    -need. Make sure you know what your getting when buying an FX5200.

    How can i know if my fx5200 is a 128 bit mem or a 64 bits mem.
    on my box and in the user guide there is no information on that point.
    it a gffx5200 magic ( non ultra) 128megs 333mghz

    jhgd, Jul 3, 2003
  6. Harry Muscle

    Anybody® Guest

    My Rant.........
    I picked up the Asus V9520/TD (FX5200) and I love it so far, granted I was
    using a Geforce2 mx400 before, but I did try a ati9100 and personally find
    this card far more desirable. The 5200 plays all my games-Unreal 2, UT2003,
    Quake 3, NWN, Americas Army, etc perfectly.

    Anybody®, Jul 3, 2003
  7. This is great card for the price . I say get this card there is nothing much
    in this price bracket that is better all others are low par cards .With
    128mb this will help in video memory bandwith . It has 128bit bus like all
    Geforce 4 cards with dx 9 support I would gather this card a good card . And
    with GREAT quality of drivers with nvidia leaves plenty of room for tweaking
    .. I also suggest checking for bios upgrades for the 5200 to get best
    performance with geforce cards I did this to a TI4600 ANd man it was
    astonishing afterward. This can add frames and can sometimes optimize cards
    performance.

    wired and confused, Jul 3, 2003
  8. Harry Muscle

    Strontium Guest

    -
    wired and confused stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:
    I wasn't aware that 'any' GF4 cards were supporting DX9, hardware-wise...
    Maybe I'm on crack, too.

    Strontium, Jul 3, 2003
  9. Harry Muscle

    John Smith Guest

    How do you know if its 64bit or 128 bit memory bus.Is it
    down to it having 64mb or 128mb memory?
    Ta
    Smiffy

    John Smith, Jul 3, 2003
  10. Harry Muscle

    Dave Guest

    No, I have seen at least one 128mb card that has 64 bit bus.
    Dave

    Dave, Jul 3, 2003
  11. Harry Muscle

    Ron Merts Guest

    I agree with Larry, the FX5200 is a great card for what you are looking at.
    Make sure it has 128Mb of RAM and you will be good to go. I would recommend
    that if it only has a passive heatsink that you replace it with a heatsink
    and fan if you get into the graphics much. It's not a great performer
    compared to a FX5600, 5800 or 5900; but it is a respectible entry-level DX9
    video card.

    Ron

    Ron Merts, Jul 4, 2003