    a motherboard with a lot of slots that would support at least 4GB,
    preferably more. Not looking to go over the top with a high-$ system,
    but I need Multi-core CPU power for running music recording software.

    Eric, Sep 7, 2011

  2. Eric

    Paul Guest

    In terms of PCI slots, I could find one motherboard with four PCI slots,
    but that board has no reviews yet.

    This board has three PCI slots. You combine this board with a $300+ 2600K
    processor and some RAM. RAM is dirt cheap these days, so the dollar figure
    for the RAM isn't an issue. Most of the money will be for the processor.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131773

    If you want to aim a bit lower, you can go for an AMD system.
    For example, this has six cores, and it's arranged in two groups
    of three. If three or fewer cores are needed, I think the power
    dissipation on the idle ones can be reduced.

    "AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo
    6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 $190"

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103913

    Example of an AM3 motherboard to go with the Phenom. Three PCI slots.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131646

    http://support.asus.com/Cpusupport/List.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3&p=1&s=24

    *******

    This is a comparison of the 2600K to the 1100T. So there is some
    relationship between $$$ spent and benchmark speed.

    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

    Intel Core i7-2600K @ 3.40GHz 9,928
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 6,305

    *******

    I think the most cores you can get in a processor now, is ten.
    But the processor costs around $4000 each :) Not very cost effective
    compared to some of the other solutions. At least you'd have plenty
    of graphs in Task Manager, to impress people with. 20 graphs
    when Hyperthreading is enabled.

    http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...49F-81DF-0FA5F56A6676/Sept_4_11_1ku_Price.pdf

    E7-8870 10 Cores, 20 Threads, 2.40GHz $4,616.00

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Sep 8, 2011

  3. Eric

    Eric Guest

    I'll have to count how many older PCI boards I need now. I did have a
    lot of music hardware in that format, but just upgraded the main
    driver board to PCI Express.

    So the motherboard will probably be around $150, and Newegg has DDR3
    2133, 16GB for around $200. GSkill Ripjaws seems to be the only one
    available in 16GB, so I hope that's a good brand. IOW, it does look
    like the processor will be about 50% of the cost.

    Better music apps are optimized to stream samples straight out of RAM,
    so I think 16GB would be worth it. Not sure how much the RAM speed
    would come into play. Maybe not much for the samples, but possibly for
    speed of executing code. Anyway, It occurs to me that since I'd need
    to run 64-bit Win7 to access the RAM, and I'll need a system that
    causes minimal hardare compatibility problems. I've had such a rough
    time installing Win7-32 on a P4C800-e Deluxe that I'm ready to junk
    the thing (see other thread).
    Wow... the i7 is kicking ass on all but two Xeons! The i7 seems like
    it's worth it. It also looks like there's no real alternative to that
    processor in i7.
    Nice investment too! It will start depreciating while UPS is shipping
    it.

    I've never used AMD, but thanks for the perspective. Maybe I should
    try one on one of my extra systems. I think the music machine is going
    i7 though.

    Thanks for your very informed reply, Paul.

    Eric, Sep 9, 2011