Good news for consumers - MS Announces NEW Licensing Terms

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by terri, Nov 2, 2006.

  1. terri

    terri Guest

    http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/w...-to-windows-vista-retail-licensing-terms.aspx

    "I'm very pleased to let you know you this morning (or afternoon, or
    evening, depending on where you are when you read this) that the Windows
    division has revised the retail license terms for Windows Vista in a
    significant way.
    Namely, the terms regarding license-to-device assignment of the retail
    product (including Home Basic, Home Premium, Business and Ultimate) now read
    as follows:

    You may uninstall the software and install it on another device for your
    use. You may not do so to share this license between devices.
    You can find the newly-revised retail license terms here, as I'm sure you'll
    want to read them for yourself.

    Our intention behind the original terms was genuinely geared toward
    combating piracy; however, it's become clear to us that those original terms
    were perceived as adversely affecting an important group of customers: PC
    and hardware enthusiasts. You who comprise the enthusiast market are vital
    to us for several reasons, not least of all because of the support you've
    provided us throughout the development of Windows Vista. We respect the
    time and expense you go to in customizing, building and rebuilding your
    hardware and we heard you that the previous terms were seen as an impediment
    to that -- it's for that reason we've made this change. I hope that this
    change provides the flexibility you need, and gives you more reason to be
    excited about the upcoming retail release of our new operating system."

    Now, if they come out with a family license, that will be even better news!
    --
    Terri Stratton
    Microsoft Featured Community

    terri, Nov 2, 2006

  2. Damn! Now I have one less thing to complain about!

    Actually, this is awesome! I had just simply decided that I wasn't even
    going to try Vista even though it looks like it will be pretty cool. I
    was just going to go with XP and Linux on my desktop but now it will
    probably be Vista and Linux.

    With a 1.4 GHz Pentium M and a cheap Intel video chip, I don't know if my
    tablet could really handle Vista. I'm certainly not gonna try until I get
    a new desktop and mess with it there. I may get quickly addicted and want
    it on my tablet as well.

    Grant Robertson, Nov 2, 2006

  3. terri

    Mickey Segal Guest

    Could someone explain what difficulty this solves? Lots of people seem
    excited but I don't know what they are excited about.

    Mickey Segal, Nov 3, 2006
  4. terri

    terri Guest

    Previously, the wording for Vista EULA implied that the license could only
    be transferred once, then a new license would need to be purchased. Not
    quite as important for Tablets, but many of us have other machines and
    upgrade frequently. A couple of new pieces of hardware could have possibly
    required a new license.

    Now, it's clear that the license can be reused as long as it isn't being
    used simultaneously on more than one computer.

    terri, Nov 3, 2006
  5. terri

    terri Guest

    I should have added that RETAIL licenses can be moved. OEMs are tied to the
    machine on which they are first installed.

    terri, Nov 3, 2006
  6. The license agreement they were going to use said you could only
    uninstall it from an old machine and reinstall it on a new machine ONCE.
    Many have found Windows Activation to be very picky about hardware. I
    upgraded the hard drive in my laptop and Windows XP asked me to
    reactivate. It reactivated just fine but that would have counted as my
    one time to move Vista from one machine to another. For those of us who
    upgrade often this would have been a disaster. We would have had to buy
    yet another full retail copy of Windows for every other major upgrade we
    did. Some people replace their motherboards more often that once a year.
    The old licensing plan would have cost people an extra $289 (or whatever
    the full retail version will cost) every other time they did that.

    Rather than preventing piracy it would have just encouraged even more
    people to do it as a rebellion against what they would have considered
    highway robbery. And those would have been the some of the smartest
    computer people and best able to figure out how to do it. Not only are
    those people some of the most knowledgeable but they are the ones all
    their friends go to for computer help. Once those people had pirated
    versions of Vista don't you think they would have shared it with their
    friends?

    All in all, it was a bad plan for users and a bad plan for Microsoft as
    well. It is good that they dropped it.

    Grant Robertson, Nov 3, 2006

  7. That is true. (Not that I would doubt you.) But I think it is important
    for people to know that this has always been the case. As cynical as I am
    about Microsoft, I agree that this is only fair. An OEM license usually
    only costs the consumer about 35 - 50 bucks on top of the cost of the
    hardware depending on the volume of sales of the manufacturer. Most
    people who buy brand name computers keep them for 3-5 years. That's a
    pretty good price for that long of a use. So it is fair to say you can
    only use an OEM license on the one computer.

    P.S. For those who don't know: OEM stands for Original Equipment
    Manufacturer. The license can only be sold with new hardware and it has
    to stay with whatever hardware you bought it with. While it is legal to
    sell it with a hard drive, technically, if you move the hard drive to a
    different computer then the license has to go too.

    Grant Robertson, Nov 3, 2006
  8. terri

    terri Guest

    That may be true theoretically, but since the PID is created using a
    logarithm of various components of a computer, saying that the license moves
    with the hard drive would almost always require reactivation, even as an OEM
    license and could possibly raise activation issues. Unless the computers
    were identical in other respects, the logarithm would be different.

    That's why I said that it's tied to the computer to which it's first
    installed.

    Now that that's said, although I've often had to reactivate XP, I've never
    been refused, but then, my licenses are all retail. I don't have any real
    life experience with OEM versions, although I've never seen a report in any
    of the newsgroups I cover that showed that a new activation had been
    refused.

    terri, Nov 3, 2006
  9. I was going to talk about reactivation but didn't have the energy last
    night. I have never had any trouble reactivating an OEM license.
    Sometimes you have to call in but as long as you explain that you have
    moved the hardware and license together in order to comply with the
    license they have been happy to give you a new number. It's not as if I
    have had this come up a lot but it is really pretty easy to comply with
    the OEM licensing rules. Of course, their behavior may change at any
    time. But I don't expect it will.

    I just didn't want people to misinterpret what you had said about the OEM
    rules and think they were new or onerous in any way. I just wanted to
    make sure people knew the OEM rules were the same as they have always
    been and nothing to fret about.

    Grant Robertson, Nov 4, 2006