    I pulled this machine out of my closet after many months & bought the
    processor which is capible of 400MHz FBS.
    But I forgot the settings in cmos i.e. memory timmings; voltage

    tom bast, May 27, 2009

  2. tom bast

    Paul Guest

    http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/cmx512-3200ll.pdf

    There is no voltage listed. A value ot 2.65 or 2.7V should be fine
    for just about any RAM/chipset combo. (You can use more voltage,
    when the RAM is known to take it - like some of the old Winbond stuff.)

    The SPD on the DIMM, is set up for 2-3-2-6. The BIOS screens
    don't put the parameters, in the same order as the industry
    defacto standard for reporting timing. Tcas, Trcd, Trp, Tras.

    (Parameter order is mentioned here...)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SDRAM_latency

    I thought there was some rule like Tcas+Trcd+burst_length_clocks <= Tras.
    Which would be 2+3+(2) <=6. You'd think that possibly a little
    higher Tras might work better. But some testing with a program
    like memtest86+ and the bandwidth display on the memtest86+ screen,
    would tell you how important that is.

    I'd say, set the memory to CPU input clock ratio to "100%" or 1:1,
    use the DIMM "by SPD" setting, and start with that. Use a little
    bit of voltage, then start testing with memtest86+. The thing is,
    you're ahead of the game, since you've got low latency memory, and
    that improves the odds that the Nforce2 chipset won't cause
    problems at FSB400/DDR400 rates.

    The Command Rate parameter does exist on Nforce2 chipsets. It is
    not an explicit parameter, shown in the BIOS screen. BIOS released
    by Asus, are released with Command Rate set to 1T for all memory
    configurations. Nforce2 is supposed to have separate address drive
    for each stick. I have some hacked BIOS here, one with Command Rate 2T
    and one with Command Rate 1T, but using that, or worrying about that,
    should not be necessary. On modern DDR2/DDR3 systems, sometimes
    Command Rate 2T is used, so that the highest speeds with a single
    stick per channel can be reached. The architecture of Nforce2,
    at least what I've read (haven't been able to prove it), means
    there is only one DIMM per address bus, and there shouldn't be
    a need for slower Command Rate. One of the reasons the
    Nforce2 doesn't support four sticks of RAM, is because of
    their address bus per stick philosophy in that design. Adding
    address busses, quickly bloats the pin count on the Northbridge,
    making Nforce2 motherboards more expensive (and we don't want
    that :) ). There would be three address buses and two data
    buses (one data bus per channel).

    Your processor Vcore should default to 1.65V on its own. For a
    table of processor data, you can use this for reference.

    http://web.archive.org/web/20041213174558/http://www.qdi.nl/support/CPUQDISocketA.htm

    Paul

    Paul, May 27, 2009