    I wonder
    if this is experienced by other people.

    Dimiter

    Didi, May 22, 2007

  2. Didi

    Rich Grise Guest

    Haven't noticed, but I've been avoiding google groups ever since they
    fucked up their site. Of course, I have a real ISP with a real news
    server and I use a real news reader.

    Good Luck!
    Rich

    Rich Grise, May 22, 2007

  3. Didi

    Michael Guest

    It's also taking hours to post messages, and just in general making a
    massive mess of things. Makes me wish I actually paid for usenet
    access.

    -Michael

    Michael, May 23, 2007
  5. Didi

    Eeyore Guest

    How about $10 for a time-unlimited allocation of 25GB of downloads ?

    http://www.news.astraweb.com/plans.html

    " The pay-by-download plans are suited towards both heavy and light users of
    usenet. You are not limited by speed, however, your downloads are metered. You
    purchase bandwidth as and when needed and your purchased bandwidth never expires
    or runs out. "

    Graham

    Eeyore, May 23, 2007
  6. Didi

    John Fields Guest

    John Fields, May 23, 2007
  7. I like http://news.individual.net/. 10 Euros/US$14. Works great.

    Scott

    Not Really Me, May 23, 2007
  8. Didi

    Rich Grise Guest

    That's only about a dozen decent pornos. ;-)

    Cheers!
    Rich

    Rich Grise, May 23, 2007
  9. Didi

    Eeyore Guest

    At 80c ea who's worried ?

    Graham

    Eeyore, May 23, 2007
  10. Didi

    Gary Guest

    giganews is USD $7.95
    text.giganews.com (an alt server) has no binaries and is very fast with
    posts. They do some metering, but I only do text groups and can't
    remember the limits. (OK, I once posted a PCB here, but that was a mistake!)

    Gary

    Gary, May 24, 2007
  11. Didi

    Chris Hills Guest

    Hiding behind Internet cafe accounts... Clearly he has to be a
    terrorist/ drugs-dealer / pedophile..... Burn him! Burn him ! :)

    Isn't is more expensive to go via coffee shops and libraries than have
    your own connection? Or have coffee shops in your area seen the light
    and use free Internet?

    Besides this means you cant sit at home to access the net you have to be
    in a commercial environment and most are not open evenings, Sundays,
    holidays etc

    Chris Hills, May 24, 2007

  12. The local county library system only requires you to have a library
    card, which costs $1.00. You can have a one hour session if its a busy
    day, and 15 minute extensions if it isn't. I've used it when I couldn't
    access the net from home, and my longest session was 3.5 hours on a slow
    day.

    prove it.
    Member of DAV #85.

    Michael A. Terrell
    Central Florida

    Michael A. Terrell, May 24, 2007
  13. Didi

    krw Guest

    Individual.net is 10EUR (13USD when I renewed) per year.

    krw, May 24, 2007
  14. Didi

    krw Guest

    Barnes and Noble has free WiFi service.
    Most "commercial environments" aren't open on Sundays and holidays?
    They are here.

    Download the newsgroups of interest and work off line. Drive around
    town until you find an open WiFi router for a Usenet fix, like any
    other good terrorist/ drug-dealer/ pedophile.

    krw, May 24, 2007
  15. Didi

    Chris Hills Guest

    Where is "here"?
    I think that using some one else's WiFI has just become illegal in the
    UK.... Which is a pain if your laptop picks it up the wrong one on it's
    own

    Chris Hills, May 24, 2007
  16. Didi

    krw Guest

    Pretty much the entire US. Here specifically? Vermont.
    Apparently it is in the US too, but it's impossible to control.

    krw, May 24, 2007
  17. Didi

    Rich Grise Guest

    Hmmm. The LA county library doesn't charge anything for a card, and they
    have computers, but you have to book them in advance because people are
    essentially waiting in line to use them. (my point being, I find it
    interesting that there are library computers that aren't in use all of the
    time.)

    Ironically, you can book them on-line. ?:-/ (if you're already on-line,
    why do you need the library computer?)

    Luckily, there's a plethora of reading material to fill your waiting time. :)

    The irksome part is that they're closed on Sundays. )-;

    Cheers!
    Rich

    Rich Grise, May 24, 2007
  18. Didi

    JeffM Guest

    JeffM, May 24, 2007
  19. Didi

    JeffM Guest

    ....which can be used to access Port 80 and a few local databases.
    Nothing else.
    No NNTP, no Coral Cache, no POP3/IMAP, no FTP, etc.
    ....and no saving anything to a floppy/thumbdrive.

    Same for Orange County.

    JeffM, May 24, 2007
  20. Didi

    Rich Grise Guest

    Last time I was there, which admittedly was over a year ago, I seem to
    recall being able to save to floppy - maybe they've dropped that because,
    well, who uses floppies these days?

    I once had a coworker who explained to me that to total neophytes, a 3.5"
    diskette is a "hard disk". "See?" she said, as she banged it on the desk:
    "A hard disk!" ;-)

    And, just FMI, what's "Coral Cache"?

    Thanks,
    Rich