    Alan Browne Guest

  2. Alan Browne

    Lewis Guest

    Lewis, Dec 13, 2013

  3. Having read the whole article from the beginning I realised why. It's
    because it is the only really interesting page for Apple users as it makes
    some very useful and valid points.

    Richard Wakeford, Dec 13, 2013
  4. Alan Browne

    gtr Guest

    That's why posting accompanying text with links is the logical thing to
    do, instead of "speaking in links".

    gtr, Dec 13, 2013
  5. Alan Browne

    JF Mezei Guest

    I got puzzled by this. As I read the article, I found myself carried to
    the last page at one point, and ended up re-reading the same page twice
    (I think there are navigation bugs).

    So when I saw this message, I said to myself "that was quick, someone
    already commented on my post" and figuring my URL had suffered from some
    big that lead to the wrong page. Only to realise that Allan Browne had
    beat me to the article and the URL error was from his post a couple days
    ago :)

    (Mine was made in the phone group, not in the systems group)

    JF Mezei, Dec 13, 2013
  6. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    It's at that point I thought I'd post it, but forgot to strip the page
    reference.

    Alan Browne, Dec 13, 2013
  7. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    I typically post a quote from an article along with the link. Yesterday
    I simply posted the link - and meant it to be to the first page. ( I
    really wish news sites would not break stories into pages)

    Alan Browne, Dec 13, 2013
  8. Alan Browne

    Ant Guest

    Ditto, but it is because of ad(vertisemtent)s. Anyways, NYT articles do
    have single page links if you look carefully. An example with yours:
    <http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/15/m...gewanted=1&_r=2&ref=magazine&&pagewanted=all>
    .... ;)
    --
    "When many work together for a goal, great things may be accomplished.
    It is said a lion cub was killed by a single colony of ants." --Saskya

    Ant, Dec 14, 2013
  9. Alan Browne

    Fred Moore Guest

    I know Alan knows this, but for those who don't, in references like the
    one above from the Times, you can delete everything starting with the
    '?' through the end of the link and always get to the first page. It
    also makes the link shorter and more manageable. The only exceptions are
    links where the terms after the '?' are references to a database where
    an item is looked up, rather than a laundry list of URLs.

    Fred Moore, Dec 17, 2013
  10. Alan Browne

    JF Mezei Guest

    Note that with paywalled newspapers, there are refereres which bypass
    the paywall (or don't increase number of articles read). For instance,
    if you click on a link from certain social media, the article won't
    count against your monthly free articles quota.

    However, in many circumstances, such a logic may be embedded in teh
    "referer:" HTTP request field and not in the actual URL.

    JF Mezei, Dec 17, 2013
  11. Alan Browne

    Guest Guest

    a lot of paywalls let you through if there's a google referrer.

    Guest, Dec 17, 2013
  12. Alan Browne

    Fred Moore Guest

    My experience with the Times is that 'clean' links (nothing from the '?'
    on) do not seem to register against the quota. Accessing the same
    seemingly clean link from within the paper's web page adds '?' and
    account information from cookies on your machine which keep track of
    your quota.

    Fred Moore, Dec 18, 2013