google maps street view

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Don McKenzie, Aug 4, 2008.

  1. Don McKenzie

    Don McKenzie Guest

    new today:

    goto google maps:
    http://maps.google.com/
    type in your house address

    if you are in a reasonably well trodden area:
    click on street view, and with the arrows in the photograph, you can
    navigate 3 or 4 houses at a time.

    the street view button must be there, and a heavy blue line around the
    street.

    I have a daughter living in a dead end court. Her property has 4
    pictures in street view.

    Another daughter living in Darwin NT, doesn't get a mention, in fact it
    looks like all of NT (Australia) doesn't get a mention.

    Have fun,

    Cheers Don...

    --
    Don McKenzie

    Site Map: http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap

    Xbee Wireless Modules, and low cost Interface Boards.
    http://www.dontronics-shop.com/xbee-boards.html

    Don McKenzie, Aug 4, 2008

  2. Nah, there's a bit of it there - zoom out to a whole-state view, click
    Street View and look at the blue-outlined bits. Looks like they
    turned off at Katherine and continued over to Broome (or came from).
    And they took the photos for Brisbane early this year at the latest.

    mlp

    Mark L Pappin, Aug 4, 2008

  3. Don McKenzie

    Curt Welch Guest

    New today??? Street view is over a year old now.
    I'm in the DC area and we haven't been mapped yet even though I see more
    and more areas around us keep showing up. My Sister in Louisville KY got
    her home mapped many months ago. I grew up in Louisville and had fun
    visiting all my old hang outs with street view.

    I'm still waiting for the live web cam version so you can see the earth in
    real time. :)

    Curt Welch, Aug 5, 2008
  4. Don McKenzie

    Don McKenzie Guest

    New today for Australia and Japan, but that wasn't the way it was
    announced here.

    Apparently it has been available in France and the US for some time.

    Pretty amazing anyway.
    A good friend of mine has his wife out the front watering the plants
    from a bucket, with laundry water. Water restrictions here in most of OZ
    right now.

    Another says there is a dog crapping on his front lawn. And the dog's
    face isn't masked out either. :)

    Cheers Don...

    Don McKenzie, Aug 5, 2008
  5. Don McKenzie

    Curt Welch Guest

    Darn. They are mapping the rest of the world and still haven't gotten my
    house! :)
    Yeah, if I only knew when the van was going to come by, I'd stand out and
    wave or do something else stupid for it. :)

    I thought it might be fun to put a large date/time display on the roof so
    the next time they took a satellite picture I would have a good time stamp
    for when it happened. Same idea would work for the street view van if I
    put a display of some type out front.

    Curt Welch, Aug 5, 2008
  6. Yes. I rented an apartment in New York for a week earlier in the year. I
    used Google street view to "walk down the street" and check it out. Saw
    that both a subway entrance and Starbucks was on the corner. Pretty cool
    stuff!

    Regards,

    Mark McDougall, Aug 5, 2008
  7. Don McKenzie

    Joerg Guest

    Not much mention here either (Cameron Park, California). Ok, some folks
    say it's really only a truck stop but that ain't so.

    What bugs me most is that since a few weeks the dang maps don't print
    out anymore. Only near-blank pages. Tried on different printers, none
    works with Google maps anymore.

    --
    Regards, Joerg

    http://www.analogconsultants.com/

    Use another domain or send PM.

    Joerg, Aug 5, 2008
  8. Thanks Don, was wondering when the Aussie version would come online,
    the Google Van went around quite some time ago.
    Sadly it missed my little cul-de-sac though.

    It's been around for a while now but I still find Google street view
    simple amazing...

    Dave.

    David L. Jones, Aug 5, 2008
  9. How about painting "Google Sux" or similar on the roof? See if they
    pixilate it out?

    David R Brooks, Aug 5, 2008
  10. Don McKenzie

    keithr Guest

    Strange, they included our small (<10K population) town on the NSW mid north
    coast, I was loking at my house on it earlier.

    Keith

    keithr, Aug 5, 2008
  11. Don McKenzie

    MisterE Guest

    They included my town that has a population of just 69. They even included
    roads that are not sealed. That area doesnt even have arial photos, but it
    has street view.

    MisterE, Aug 5, 2008
  12. Don McKenzie

    bassett Guest

    Were not photographed yet, Still if we want pictures of the local Dope
    crops, the cops can supply them.

    bassett, Aug 6, 2008
  13. **It's pretty good. I live in a backwater part of Sydney (no ASDL2+ yet) and
    my place is there. I wish I'd seen the vehicle that took the pictures.

    Trevor Wilson, Aug 6, 2008
  14. Don McKenzie

    Don McKenzie Guest

    Apparently a bird in the US knew the vehicle, and lifted her top when it
    went past. :)

    Many other unusual stories starting to surface. Listening to radio 3AW
    this morning, they had people ringing in with the stories, and the for's
    and against.

    Concerns about home security, ability to check out real estate
    properties and local schools/facilities, potential wealthy customers for
    large value purchases, see if a supplier has a real property, or just an
    office, or even a vacant block, is the potential girl friend wealthy,
    etc., etc.

    The more thought you put into it, the more you can squeeze out of it.

    Cheers Don...

    Don McKenzie, Aug 6, 2008
  15. Don McKenzie

    Mr. C Guest

    new today:
    Although not street view, I found that google maps had a nice view of
    the Russian Woodpecker. Any of you that were in Amateur Radio back in
    the 60's and 70's knows what the woodpecker was: one of the biggest
    interference sources on certain amateur radio bands. Actually it was
    an over-the-horizon radar system they used. If you do the google map
    thing, you can see the array quite clearly. Hmmm, what direction is
    the array radiating in? It is now turned off, but it looks like the
    antennas are still there.

    If you want to see it, go to google maps and enter these coordinates:

    51.305294,30.065931

    Mr. C, Aug 6, 2008
  16. Don McKenzie

    Mr. C Guest

    Actually, I guess it was in operation from July 1976 through December
    1989.

    Mr. C, Aug 6, 2008
  17. Don McKenzie

    terryc Guest

    That was my complaint.
    1) i could have mown the lawn,
    2) I could have cleaned the leaves out of the gutter
    3) I could have sold adverytising space on the trailer top 2x3m.
    4) I could have added the anchor chain and calf collar to the dog kennel*.

    * I have a kennel for a large dog in the front yard, which is clearly
    visible from the street. Ireally need to add a long chain and big collar,
    with a sign "Warning, dog can drag kennel when adgitated" {:).

    terryc, Aug 6, 2008
  18. Don McKenzie

    Don McKenzie Guest

  19. David L. Jones, Aug 12, 2008
  20. The HP garage is interesting.
    I can't get the shot shown in your link here:
    http://www.gstreetsightings.com/goo...d-garage-google-maps-interesting-street-view/
    Most likely due to an update.

    Most curiously though, if you move one "frame" past the garage you can
    clearly see the shots were taken at different times (different parked
    cars etc).
    http://www.google.com/maps?q=caltra...Q&cbp=1,299.301954677963,,0,4.120213111325127
    I expected that on full streets maybe, but not half way down a street.

    Dave.

    David L. Jones, Aug 12, 2008