    Any response is appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    -Steve

    Steven, Feb 26, 2004

  2. Steven

    Kai Robinson Guest

    Right - the ONLY cards that work in the Smurf towers, are the Radeon PCI,
    and the Radeon 7000 - the PC PCI versions DO NOT WORK. They use a totally
    different rom. There has been some success with altering the Mac rom to make
    a PCI 9100 and 9000 work - but its not worth the hassle. Also - best to get
    a 900Mhz G3, or 600Mhz G4, the 1ghz modules knock the system to 66Mhz FSB,
    slowing down the Ram too.

    Best to add an original Radeon PCI (Mac Edition) than the 7000 - the 7000
    has no T&L - basically, its a Rage 128 on crack.

    Kai

    Kai Robinson, Feb 26, 2004

  3. Steven

    Steven Guest

    Thanks for the response!
    This is info I needed to know, but couldn't easily find out from ATI's
    website.
    And I'll definitely try to find a 900GHz G4 module, I didn't even think
    about how a new proc would affect the memory speed.
    I -WAS- thinking about attempting to use OSX, but I read that Apple has
    REFUSED to write updated drivers for the ATI cards their older Macs use,
    thus FORCING their users to have to upgrade hardware. What a bunch a crap
    that is.

    -Steve

    Steven, Feb 29, 2004
  4. Steven

    Kai Robinson Guest

    DONT get a G4 module for the B&W - the 60x Bus cant really take advantage of
    it the same way the MPX bus on sawtooth models can. Unless you're using
    heavy Altivec-enabled apps, stick with the G3 - the 900Mhz Powerlogix G3 is
    more than powerful enough. Hell, my 450 is clocked to 500, and with 512mb
    mem - its still plenty fast enough. Waiting for the official ATI response on
    the Radeon 9000 PCI / 9100 PCI for Macs. If you get hold of a visiontek PCI
    Radeon 9100 - most people have been able to flash it with the hacked 8500
    AGP/7000 PCI mergedrom thingy. Also - there are reports that the nVidia
    GeForce FX 5200 Ultra's are now flashable.

    HTH.

    drop by #macintosh-adults on Undernet IRC if you need to know more.

    Kai

    Kai Robinson, Feb 29, 2004