    Should I go ahead and start from recovery HD and restore from Time
    Machine backup?

    What do you think is wrong with it?

    Le Chiffre, Nov 11, 2011

  2. Le Chiffre

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    Did anybody feed it while you were away :)

    Jeff Gaines, Nov 11, 2011

  3. Le Chiffre

    Davoud Guest

    Le Chiffre:
    That's a lot of work, a task to be done only if absolutely necessary.

    Have you tried starting in single user mode and running fsck? If that's
    nonsense to you, Google it. Or restart and press the Command and S keys
    when you hear the chime and hold them until you see the Unix shell.
    Then follow directions on the display: /sbin/fsck -fy<RETURN>.

    Or take it to a Genius Bar, which, depending where you live, of course,
    may still be quicker and/or easier than recovery/restore.

    Davoud

    Davoud, Nov 11, 2011
  4. Le Chiffre

    Alan Browne Guest

    Open it and check the cable from the HD to the system. My son's MBP
    needed a new cable (we thought it was the HD that died). Note that the
    only way to check it may be to replace it.

    Alan Browne, Nov 11, 2011
  5. Le Chiffre

    JF Mezei Guest

    Prior to going on holidays, did you do a proper shutdown of the laptop,
    or just closed its lid and let it sleep for 4 weeks ?

    Normally though, you wouldn't get to a spinning beach ball (OS-X
    running) if the batteries were not yet charged enough to start the boot
    process.

    But it could be a case of the laptop thinking it did the "save all
    memory to disk using the last 1% of battery so I can be ressucitated
    later" but it didn't actually save memory to disk full and instead of
    booting now, it tries to restore that incomplete memory ?

    When you try to boot, do you hear the Mac chime to indicate it is booting ?

    Try holding command V when powering up. This goes into "verbose mode"
    and you will see a text console with the progress of the boot. You
    should then see where it gets stuck.

    JF Mezei, Nov 11, 2011
  6. Le Chiffre

    Wes Groleau Guest

    This won't help if you muted before the fail or the last shutdown.

    Wes Groleau, Nov 11, 2011
  7. Le Chiffre

    Tom Stiller Guest

    But he could reset the PRAM to restore the volume.

    Tom Stiller, Nov 11, 2011
  8. Le Chiffre

    dorayme Guest

    <
    m>,
    Did you hear the Startup tone? If so, did you try starting in
    Safe Mode (holding Shift down immediately *after* the tone)?

    dorayme, Nov 11, 2011
  9. Le Chiffre

    Le Chiffre Guest

    Found out the problem. It has nothing to do with cables or the
    battery. The last software update I performed was an EFI boot loader
    firmware update and some other firmware update that I can't recall the
    exact name of right now.
    I know that the firmware updates are culpable because I did a system
    restore just now and it works just fine. But on trying to install
    those firmware updates again, I get the same spin wheel freeze at
    startup. And also, it's generally not a good sign when your firmware
    update causes your computer to issue an odd audible hard drive beep
    and audible clicks from your disk drive and follows this with an
    endless wait at a grey Apple boot screen.
    I should either remember to avoid these updates, take the computer to
    the Genius Bar, or file a bug report with Apple. Probably the latter
    two.

    Le Chiffre, Nov 11, 2011
  10. Le Chiffre

    Alan Baker Guest

    I don't know, but for a starter, what happens if you start up with
    Command-S held down?

    Alan Baker, Nov 12, 2011
  11. Le Chiffre

    Paul Sture Guest

    Those clicks from your disk drive could be a sign that the disk is about
    to fail. I know this because it happened to me.

    Paul Sture, Nov 13, 2011