    several trial packages and they all seem to lock up or malfuction at
    some stage of the process, from capturing video to burning DVDs. Any
    recommendations?

    Darren Yatadooet, May 3, 2004

  2. Darren,

    I've seen this behavior on several new Dell PCs (although I don't think its
    a Dell issue). First thing you want to do is make sure your AV software is
    up to date and working properly. Don't assume that because the PC is new
    the AV software is up to date. Then you may want to un install things like
    Dells Support software. It calls home at certain intervals and may cause
    this type of problem. Next, a good software firewall software will help you
    monitor network traffic and maybe identify network communication that could
    cause the symptoms. You can also bring up Task Manger and monitor the
    running processes and see if any one process takes up all the CPU cycles
    when the problem occurs.

    One thing I've found that solves the problem and other similar problems, is
    to format the system and completely rebuild it clean with only the software
    you want installed on the system.

    Robert R Kircher, Jr., May 3, 2004

  3. Darren Yatadooet

    BigJIm Guest

    got a new dell laptop last December and it ran slow so I uninstalled Norton
    and put another anti-virus program on. That did the trick, runs fine now.

    BigJIm, May 3, 2004
  4. Just to share an experience from 'the other side'...I've used NAV since 1997
    and have never noticed a slowdown in response, and I have it starting with
    Windows and running in the background. Maybe it's not as good with laptops
    (I've only used desktops) or perhaps it's not playing nice with something
    else installed on your computer. Nonetheless, I have read other reports of
    NAV slowing a computer, so there's gotta be something to it.

    Rocky

    Rocket J. Squirrel, May 3, 2004
  5. (Darren Yatadooet) wrote in
    Can't help with the first question, sorry. As far as the second question
    goes, the best program I've used for burning DVDs is 123 Copy DVD. You
    can either buy it at Walmart or download it from the website, which is
    just the product name, dot com. Either way it's 20 bucks. Get the
    encryption patch from the site before you use it. It's free and doesn't
    take too long, you don't even have to register. I don't think it does
    editing, though. Might be wrong on that. Good luck!

    Gavin Talbott, May 3, 2004
  6. Darren Yatadooet

    Leythos Guest

    I've used it since the started calling it Norton/Symantec. There is a
    very small performance hit, but nothing that most people notice. I run
    the Corporate edition on my main workstation and laptops, and servers,
    the personal 2004 edition on my kids machines and some clients systems.

    Leythos, May 3, 2004

  7. One of the things that I routinely end up doing is visiting this site:

    Like others around, some of whom charge money, this site will give you a
    fairly good explanation of what the process is that you see in the task
    list. AND they'll give you a fairly "**** the bastards" suggestion as
    to whether or not it's safe to get rid of, or if you should really keep
    it around.

    Something smells fishy, I painfully go through each name in the task
    list and verify against what answersthatwork.com has to say about it.

    VERY interesting stuff.

    ....[slash]...

    Thomas G. Marshall, May 4, 2004