    But once I have finished this process, how do I make the Powerbook's
    HDD bootable? Does Darwin have all sorts of hidden files which let it
    be bootable and start the computer like a PC?

    Amanda Ripanykhazov, Nov 29, 2009

  2. Amanda Ripanykhazov

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    The above makes me think of my sister who never seems to remember where she
    put any install disk. Furthermore, whenever she is asked for a password she
    makes one up on the spot, something like "oobiegoobie23" and then never
    remembers it!

    TaliesinSoft, Nov 29, 2009

  3. Amanda Ripanykhazov

    Guest Guest

    diskwarrior should be able to fix invalid node structure:
    <http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/index.html>

    ultra slow sounds like it could be bad blocks, which means you should
    replace the drive. be sure your backups are up to date.
    that's the same as disk utility and it won't fix it.
    it's a waste of time to write to every block, especially if there
    doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it. if you do clone it, a simple
    reformat will suffice.
    it has a lot of hidden files, but if you clone it with superduper, it
    will be bootable. however, that's really the wrong way to solve this
    unless diskwarrior fails to fix it.

    Guest, Nov 29, 2009
  4. Actually i am scared of buying DiskWarrior again unless I can find it
    very cheap indeed:

    I don't trust the company. I bought it once and just found that
    within a month or so, Apple had released some update to the OS
    (Panther to Tiger or something?) which rendered the whole cost
    wasted. I started out being suspicious of a software program which
    cost as much as a whole new drive and ended up being even more
    suspicious!!

    Actually I suspect it might do the job as it DID do an amazing job
    when i did use it the first time. Now however it only HOPES to
    correct this INVALID NODE STRUCTURE problem IF you spend a ton of
    money, yet again, buying it.

    Amanda Ripanykhazov, Nov 29, 2009
  5. I moping this isnt a stupid question but is there any way of using
    file sharing, connecting up my unibody Macbook Pro with the ethernet
    cable and cloning the drive on the dead computer using some form of
    target disk mode using Time Machine? I know Target doesnt work
    without firewire.

    Amanda Ripanykhazov, Nov 29, 2009
  6. Superduper just gets hung at the first step (preparing Macintosh hard
    drive): It was difficult to get it to start (kept hanging with the
    whirling coloured ball and on Force Quit, giving the error message
    "not responding") but when I did get it to start, it doesnt run at
    all. I tried verifying disk permissions before it started performing
    its functions and it gets stuck at verifying.

    Unless all these programs act like DW and just take an age to run?
    Does anyone know if there is any way of knowing when it is or isnt
    actually running? Or can you assume something has gone very wrong
    when you see the whirling ball when the cursor gets over the Apple? So
    far it has run for two hours without anything looking like it is
    happening except that the clock keeps running!

    Amanda Ripanykhazov, Nov 29, 2009
  7. Amanda Ripanykhazov

    Tim Murray Guest

    But is that the drive it's copying data from, or the drive it's copying data
    to? If it's the latter, then I'd format it from scratch.

    Tim Murray, Nov 29, 2009
  8. The spinning globe seems to be the drive being copied.

    I also get the spinning wheel when I try to run disk utility on the
    drive AND it keeps spinning when I put the cursor over the apple.

    (The one to be copied TO is one which SuperDuper says it will be
    automatically formatting if it gets that far so I am not particularly
    worried about that one)

    Amanda Ripanykhazov, Nov 29, 2009
  9. No, it is a week or three since I posted and now my main problem is
    that I cant find my PB G4 install disc! Looked EVERYWHERE. Have
    delegaged senior offspring to assist without any result

    Amanda Ripanykhazov, Dec 6, 2009