    --

    Sam

    Liberals are for Darwinism but totally against any selection.

    Salmon Egg, Dec 21, 2013

  2. Salmon Egg

    Tim Streater Guest

    Care to give an example?

    Tim Streater, Dec 21, 2013

  3. Salmon Egg

    Siri Cruz Guest

    Need one?

    Siri Cruz, Dec 21, 2013
  4. Salmon Egg

    Salmon Egg Guest

    Touche! I got my laugh for the day.

    --

    Salmon Egg, Dec 21, 2013
  5. Salmon Egg

    Salmon Egg Guest

    Just after finishing with this group, I went to another. The first
    sentence I read was: "Last paycheck is Friday." How much Friday? I have
    now learned to write without verb or subject. :=)

    Salmon Egg, Dec 21, 2013
  6. Salmon Egg

    Your Name Guest

    Grammar is one of the least important things at schools these days. :-(

    There was an item in the newspaper here just this past week with
    someone was complaining about the end of year school awards ceremonies
    where they gave out something like 15 sports awards, 8 Maori culture
    group awards, but only 3 actual academic excellence awards. If you were
    to add in 10 awards for having "good lunchbox content", then you'll see
    where school priorities lay these days. :-\

    (Of course, thanks to silly "Policitical Correctness", it amazing that
    schools still give out awards at all, without EVERYONE being given
    one.)

    Your Name, Dec 21, 2013
  7. Noticed that as well.

    Barry Margolin, Dec 22, 2013
  8. Salmon Egg

    Salmon Egg Guest

    It is amazing how little attention is paid to grammar these days.
    Decent, if not perfect grammar, is required to communicate accurately.
    Maybe in informal conversation imperfect grammar with feedback is good
    enough.

    In particular, a newsgroup dealing with computers should pay more
    attention to such matters. Try writing computer code without perfect
    syntax.

    Salmon Egg, Dec 22, 2013
  9. Salmon Egg

    Lewis Guest

    Lewis, Dec 22, 2013
  10. Salmon Egg

    bob Guest

    Your grammar lessons can't have been very good. "Last paycheck is
    Friday" has both a subject (paycheck) and a verb (is).

    Robin

    bob, Dec 22, 2013
  11. Salmon Egg

    Király Guest

    Noticed it too.

    The one that really gets me is the usage of "it's" when it should be
    "its". Even people who have completely flawless spelling and grammar in
    the rest of their posts screw that up. It seems to be more common to use
    the wrong word that the right word, on internet posts anyway. Its misuse
    makes me stumble every time it's encountered.

    Király, Dec 22, 2013
  12. People are bombarded by bad grammar and other barbarisms constantly.
    When did "gift" become a verb? And the people who produce television
    commercials don't know (or don't care) the difference between "every
    day" and "everyday" (and television shows are "all new"). But the most
    annoying (to me) example is "look-a-like."

    Matthew Lybanon, Dec 22, 2013
  13. Salmon Egg

    Davoud Guest

    Király:
    These errors tend to be made by people who don't read.

    advice advise
    apostrophes in plurals
    ice tea (iced)
    whip cream (whipped)
    mash potatoes (mashed)
    suppose to / supposed to
    use to / used to
    its it's
    loose lose
    then than
    there their
    your you're
    off of / from
    that, which

    Davoud, Dec 22, 2013
  14. Salmon Egg

    John Varela Guest

    Yes, but the verb is a copula.

    John Varela, Dec 22, 2013
  15. Salmon Egg

    J Burns Guest

    As a transitive verb whose object is the recipient, it dates to the
    late 16th Century. As a transitive verb whose object is the gift, it
    dates to the early 17th Century. Lawyers have used it as a verb ever since.

    J Burns, Dec 22, 2013
  16. Umm... Touché?

    Paul Magnussen

    Paul Magnussen, Dec 22, 2013
  17. The most annoying to me is "alternate" for "alternative". But (in US
    English anyway) it seems to be so common that soon it will become the
    more usual (if it isn't already) — as "miniscule" has overtaken
    "minuscule", according to the COD.

    Paul Magnussen

    Paul Magnussen, Dec 22, 2013
  18. Not to mention "The plane will be taking off momentarily", which
    conjures up a picture of it kangaroo-hopping across the countryside.

    Paul Magnussen

    Paul Magnussen, Dec 22, 2013
  19. Salmon Egg

    J Burns Guest

    "Alternative" is inappropriate if there are more than two choices. Why
    not use "other" for the adjective and "option" for the noun?

    "Minuscula" was coined to describe lower-case script. Why use
    "minuscule" as a 9-letter word for "tiny?"

    J Burns, Dec 22, 2013
  20. Salmon Egg

    Warren Oates Guest

    The passive voice should never be used.