    Coolasblu Guest

    What setting should I use ? Currently set to 32MB. Also, should I use
    Fastwrite ?

    Coolasblu, Feb 20, 2004

  2. Coolasblu

    Wblane Guest

    The best performance I realized was w/a an aperture size of 512MB. Fastwrites
    on. This is w/a 9800 Pro 128MB though.

    Wblane, Feb 21, 2004

  3. Coolasblu

    patrickp Guest

    At least 64MB, Coolasblu, probably 128MB. I'm using 128MB with my ASUS
    9600XT. 512MB is way too much, certainly with most systems and cards, and
    32MB too little. As far as fastwrites is concerned, try both and see which
    seems to give better performance and stability - YMMV. I was quite suprised
    after using many boards/cards that did not support fastwrites or run well
    with it on - and the advice often given to turn it off as a cure for all
    sorts of ills - that my 9600XT and system actually run better with it on.

    patrickp

    patrickp, Feb 21, 2004
  4. Coolasblu

    Asestar Guest

    As for Fastwrites, it does not matter much. You can try to benchmark your
    system (3dm2001se) without it, and then benchmark with it enabled. Go with
    setup that gives best results. Most people recommend it disabled, for
    Radeons.

    As for agp apperture, there is almost no performance gain between
    64/128/256/up. However having below 64 is NOT good. Set it to atleast 1/3 of
    system ram. If you have 512mb ram, set apperture to 128 and so on.
    Note that 128 is not compatible with some RARE games on a few gfxcard/mobo
    combination.

    Asestar, Feb 21, 2004
  5. Coolasblu

    Wblane Guest

    I don't know if it's because I'm using 98SE or not, but certain maps in
    Battlefield 1942 and Unreal II were unplayably slow at anything less than a

    Wblane, Feb 22, 2004
  6. Coolasblu

    Asestar Guest

    Strange, but then again it all comes down to individual system config. How
    much system ram you use also affect this. It's just to try to find out.

    Asestar, Feb 23, 2004
  7. Coolasblu

    GTX_SlotCar Guest

    Well, here's my 2 cents worth.
    AGP aperture is the amount of system ram you're willing to let your graphics
    card use. It used to be that setting it to 1/2 of your system ram was
    considered normal, but I guess things have changed.
    When I was running 256mb of system ram, I always set the AGP to 128
    (wouldn't want to set it to 256 and use all the system ram). When I just
    went to 512 ram, I played with setting at 128 and 256, but there wasn't any
    universal difference that I could detect.
    Every once in a while when playing CoD, I'd get a momentary slowdown while
    the hard drive was being accessed (with stressful graphics settings). This
    weekend I played around with 128 and 256 AGP settings again to see if one
    performed better than the other in this game. It didn't. On a lark, I tried
    setting it to 64 and it seemed to run much smoother. It may not be the same
    tonight, but who knows.
    This setting seems to go against everything I've learned about how the AGP
    aperture works. To me, this setting should have made the game access my hard
    drive even more (bypassing system ram), but it didn't. My 3DMark2001SE
    scores are the same no matter if it's set at 64, 128 or 256 (I've never had
    a motherboard with a 512 setting, so I can't test that).
    The moral is, experiment for yourself and if you don't see a difference
    don't worry about it.

    Gary

    GTX_SlotCar, Feb 23, 2004