    cards doesn't have such driver.

    Which model would you recommand ?

    Thanks for any advice.

    Francois PIETTE, Mar 4, 2008

  2. Francois PIETTE

    Mr.E Solved! Guest

    Any current card by any leading maker suits your 'purpose'.

    Mr.E Solved!, Mar 4, 2008

  3. Francois PIETTE

    Augustus Guest

    I need to buy a graphic card suitable for Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard
    I think I see your problem.......do you know what the purpose of Windows
    Server 2003 is? Why would you want to convert it to a workstation? Any card
    will do.

    Augustus, Mar 5, 2008
  4. Francois PIETTE

    Paul Guest

    "Windows Server 2003 as a Workstation Guide"
    http://web.archive.org/web/20030819...indows Server 2003 as a Workstation Guide.pdf

    "Enable Hardware Acceleration

    By default Windows Server 2003 is hardware acceleration disabled for graphics cards,
    meaning only 2D and limited 3D capability is there. We can enable all this painlessly
    and without much effort. You will still be required to install 3D enabled drivers (like
    ATi Catalyst or nVIDIA Detonator drivers) for Windows 2000/XP. These can be installed
    on Windows Server 2003 but only after hardware acceleration is enabled will they work
    (and display the 3D related tabs in display properties) . "

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Mar 5, 2008
  5. I need to buy a graphic card suitable for Windows Server 2003 R2
    Standard
    I don't like the way you answer and assume I'm an idiot. I perfectly know
    what a server is and what a workstation is.

    Have you ever /developped/ SERVER software ? Have ever had to debug your
    software in a real situation, that is using the same OS as the customer will
    use it ? Have you ever considered working confortably on a server ?
    Actually not. Altough you may use driver suitable for XP, you have an issue
    with certification. The driver /may/ work, actually it looks like it is
    working. But it has not been /certified/ for the OS. Do you know what
    certification means ?

    Francois Piette, Mar 5, 2008
  6. Francois Piette, Mar 5, 2008
  7. Francois PIETTE

    Augustus Guest

    Have you ever /developped/ SERVER software ? Have ever had to debug your
    Yes. I have, and continue to do so actually. Every day. I work in the IT
    department where the primary server OS used Windows Server 2003 and SQL
    server. Not that you'll likely believe that anyway, however...if your're
    trying to emulate end user and client servers to debug your code by
    installing Windows Server 2003 ask yourself this question: How many clients
    / businesses have you ever seen in your life that run Windows Server 2003 on
    a non-dedicated server? And how many clients have you got that use non-m/b
    embedded video cards in their servers? And if client emulation is your
    goal, why are not running your OS on an actual server and server board? The
    board you mention has no RAID, no ECC memory, no Xeon support, etc. The
    embedded IGMA 950 graphics supports up to 2048x1536. I've lost count of the
    number of Windows Server 2000 and 2003 reisntalls I've done, and finding a
    proper graphics driver has never been an issue.

    Augustus, Mar 5, 2008
  8. Francois PIETTE

    Mr.E Solved! Guest

    Francois Piette wrote:

    So, your question has been answered, "any card+driver will do". You
    acknowledge that much.

    But then you want to move the goal-posts and add an additional criteria
    "Windows 2003 certified". Seems you have extra criteria hidden in your
    noodle until you are ready to divulge it.

    No wonder you won't ask Microsoft for their 2K+3 hardware compatibility
    URL, they likely have dealt with you before and are ready for you!

    Mr.E Solved!, Mar 5, 2008
  9. Francois PIETTE

    Paul Guest

    If you don't want to use a Win2000/XP driver to solve the problem,
    then deal with a company that caters to your needs.

    "Windows Server 2003" is mentioned in the list here.
    http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/corpo/support/drivers/driverInfo.php?id=230

    Paul

    Paul, Mar 5, 2008
  10. Francois PIETTE

    Oleg Vanoren Guest

    I don't believe you either, numbnuts

    Oleg Vanoren, Mar 6, 2008
  11. Francois PIETTE

    Augustus Guest

    How nice for you, I won't sleep at night now.

    Augustus, Mar 6, 2008
  12. Francois PIETTE

    W Guest

    Honestly, this is one of the stupidest and most short-sighted posts I have
    read. Why is it manufacturers of video cards think that there is some
    federal law that mandates end users to use the lowest common denominator
    software? EVERY SINGLE DEVELOPER IN OUR COMPANY RUNS WINDOWS SERVER AS
    THEIR DESKTOP OPERATING SYSTEM. They all INSIST on this because they WANT
    the ADDITIONAL CAPABILITY in the server version of the software. Examples
    of such capabilities are the ability to terminal service into another
    developer's computer WHILE THAT COMPUTER HAS A DIFFERENT USER ON ITS
    CONSOLE. You cannot do this with Windows XP or Windows 7.

    Instead of trying to browbeat people like the original poster, why not start
    listening to customers and what they are telling you? Some of us WANT a
    SERVER operating system on our DESKTOP COMPUTERs and YES WE THOUGHT ABOUT IT
    VERY VERY CAREFULLY AND MADE A GOOD DECISION.

    Didn't Sun Microsystems create a pretty big company by putting a server
    operating system - UNIX - onto the desktops of engineers and programmers?
    Why is it no one can think clearly about the reasons why people would want
    to do the same thing with Windows Server?

    Absolutely frustrating to read nonsense like the above post. My response
    is five years too late, but I'm facing the same problem now of upgrading
    video cards on workstations running server, and I'm seeing that nVidia in
    its infinite stupidity wants to dumb down all of its users to use the worst
    common denominator software possible.

    W, Dec 13, 2013
  13. Francois PIETTE

    W Guest

    My favorite story about the idiocy of software manufacturers who
    deliberately sabotage their software working on Windows Server, and force
    users to use Windows XP or Windows 7/8:

    I was trying to install an Adobe product on a user's personal workstation,
    which was running Windows Server. We had a requirement for that user that
    other people be able to login to her computer remotely via Terminal
    Services, so there wasn't really a better choice. In any case, the support
    staff at Adobe went through the same flawed thinking process as displayed by
    the user below feeding nonsense about how Windows Server was a "Server
    Operating System" and no end user should ever want to use it.

    Jump forward two weeks: I contacted a friend who works in engineering at
    Adobe. I complained to him about this. He started laughing. What's
    funny, I asked? "All of our developers of that product run Windows Server
    as the operating system on their development machines." So the
    developers in the company were all using Windows Server, because they wanted
    the FEATURES in the server product on their personal desktop, but the
    geniuses who run the marketing department made the decision that no one else
    should ever use a Server OS. Brilliant!!!

    nVidia's marketing department is apparently filled to the brim with such
    geniuses.

    W, Dec 13, 2013