Graphics Card Choice for Mid-High End Rig

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Magnusfarce, Nov 23, 2005.

  1. Magnusfarce

    Magnusfarce Guest

    Greetings -

    I'm building a new system based on the Abit AN8 Fatal1ty SLI motherboard,
    outfitted as shown below. At this point, I plan to use a single 7800GT
    graphics card with the possiblilty of adding another later.

    Are there any 7800GT-based cards that would work especially well with this
    board? Are there any cards
    with compatibility issues, i.e., cards that I should avoid?

    I'm inclined to go with one of the moderately overclocked cards for a bit
    better performance. Leading candidates are Leadtek, BFG, XFX, and eVGA.
    Any suggestions?

    I've heard that someof the GT cards can be flashed to open up the last four
    pipes. Any comments?

    - Magnusfarce

    System:
    Motherboard: Abit AN8 Fatal1ty SLI

    Processor: Athlon 64 X2 4400+ CPU (oc'd by about 10%)
    Memory: Corsair TwinX 4x512 PC3200 in DChannel (oc'd to about
    433)
    PSU: Enermax Noisetaker 600w
    Main HDD's: WDigital 76gb Raptor (OS)
    Data HDD's: WD2500 SATA-2, 250gb, 16mb cache
    WD 250gb IDE
    CD Burner: Plextor Plexwriter Premium
    DVD Burner: Sony DR800 Dual Layer
    Case: CoolerMax CMStacker
    OS: XP Pro

    Magnusfarce, Nov 23, 2005

  2. Magnusfarce

    Amir Facade Guest

    Can't say anything about The AN8, but I'm running a Leadtek "plain vanilla"
    7800 AGP in an NF7, And that card opened up all the pipes and overclocks
    like a bitch. Core=403, Memory=856. Running at these speeds since
    June.(Fathers Day gift to myself) Can't believe the weight of the copper
    heat sinks on both sides of this card. I swear that video card weighs more
    than my motherboard.

    Amir

    : Greetings -
    :

    Amir Facade, Nov 24, 2005

  3. Magnusfarce

    Amir Facade Guest

    Oops. Is my face red.
    Its a 6800, not a 7800.
    Let 'er rip I can take it.

    Amir

    PS: used Riva Tuner to open up the closed pipes.

    : Can't say anything about The AN8, but I'm running a Leadtek "plain
    vanilla"
    : 7800 AGP in an NF7, And that card opened up all the pipes and overclocks
    : like a bitch. Core=403, Memory=856. Running at these speeds since
    : June.(Fathers Day gift to myself) Can't believe the weight of the copper
    : heat sinks on both sides of this card. I swear that video card weighs more
    : than my motherboard.
    :
    : Amir
    :
    :
    :
    : :: Greetings -
    ::

    Amir Facade, Nov 24, 2005
  4. Magnusfarce

    0_Qed Guest

    Please , the =minute=,
    remit your ESL Certificaation to The White House, BeltWay, USA.

    Dummy !!!

    Qed.

    obtw ...
    .. thats <grin> , not >grin< .
    ..
    .. 'We" were all supprised( but not disappointed)
    .. that you didnt "do" a .grin,
    .. sheesh !

    0_Qed, Nov 24, 2005
  5. Magnusfarce

    Amir Facade Guest

    Thanks for the clarification.
    From one turkey to another. Happy Thanksgiving.
    Did JefN invite you to his house this year?

    Amir

    : Amir Facade wrote:
    : > Oops. Is my face red.
    : > Its a 6800, not a 7800.
    :
    : ;_(
    :
    : > >grin< Boy, set myself up this time. LOL
    : > Let 'er rip I can take it.
    :
    : Please , the =minute=,
    : remit your ESL Certificaation to The White House, BeltWay, USA.
    :
    : Dummy !!!
    :
    : Qed.
    :
    : obtw ...
    : . thats <grin> , not >grin< .
    : .

    Amir Facade, Nov 24, 2005
  6. Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®, Nov 24, 2005
  7. Magnusfarce

    0_Qed Guest

    You're entirely and mostly welcome.

    Who??
    Me ???
    A "turkey" ????

    Not in 'this' reincarnation ... next "one", maybe.

    Happy ThanksGiving ... 'Turkey'.
    :)
    Funny you'd "mention" that.

    Yes.<resounding>

    BUT!!!
    Yet ONCE again ...
    the =CHEAP=, sore_pecker, Bastard sent =NO= Air_Fare !!!

    Qed.

    0_Qed, Nov 24, 2005
  8. Magnusfarce

    0_Qed Guest

    All 'well' and 'good' ... your "intentions" .

    Yet once again !!!
    No 'GD' AirFare sent along with your ?Invite?.

    El cheapo, sore_pecker, Bastard !!

    :)
    Qed

    0_Qed, Nov 24, 2005
  9. Qed wrote:

    | Funny you'd "mention" that.
    |
    | Yes.<resounding>
    |
    | BUT!!!
    | Yet ONCE again ...
    | the =CHEAP=, sore_pecker, Bastard sent =NO= Air_Fare !!!

    I said "NO!!!" ...

    Well, at least I animated it.

    I may be a cheap bastard, but I can't bring myself to lower my standards any
    further.

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    Jef

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®, Nov 25, 2005
  10. Magnusfarce

    0_Qed Guest

    Sheesh!!!

    Yer a Cheapo, Amin_ated, Bastard ... "CAB"

    SEE!!!
    "He" admits to being a 'CAB' !!!
    I knew it !
    I just =KNEW= it all along !!!

    Takes "One" to =know= "One" ... 'Eh???

    Well NOW !!

    Just how "Lo" is low ???

    You've sunk to lower_er than "Lo" ...
    Yer A_standard. A_moral. A_whatever.

    Youst dont got =nuthing= you can "stand" upon ... zip ... nada.
    "Zero" for good measure ... too ... additional ... further.

    SO =there= !!!

    Enjoy the Holiday, Live in Peace.
    4" of heaven_borne 'powder' here.

    :)
    Qed.

    0_Qed, Nov 25, 2005
  11. Qed wrote:

    | Sheesh!!!
    |
    | Yer a Cheapo, Amin_ated, Bastard ... "CAB"

    Yeah .. took me about 30 seconds in ImageReady to say "NO". Whatcha gonna
    do 'bout it?

    Generic enough to answer you on a regular basis, too.

    Any time you ask for a "favor" .. all I gotta do is:
    http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jefn/qed.gif

    It's just that simple.

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    Jef

    PS .. enjoy your 4" of "blow" and I'll enjoy my 80° So. Cal.

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®, Nov 25, 2005
  12. Magnusfarce

    0_Qed Guest

    Ask for AirFare, Per Diem, $1k cash too.

    Quality dont come cheap.

    Crazy weather patterns ... forecasters, & thier models, confused.

    Qed

    0_Qed, Nov 25, 2005
  13. Magnusfarce

    TomG Guest

    LOL!

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    "Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®"

    TomG, Nov 25, 2005
  14. Qed wrote:

    | Ask for AirFare, Per Diem, $1k cash too.

    Looks like I have to get in your face when I say this!
    http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jefn/no-qed.gif

    | Quality dont come cheap.

    I know it well. Mama didn't raise no fool. What's your reason? ;-)

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    Jef

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®, Nov 25, 2005
  15. Magnusfarce

    Amir Facade Guest

    LMAO

    Amir

    "Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®"
    : Amir Facade wrote:
    : |
    : | Did JefN invite you to his house this year?
    : |
    :
    : http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jefn/qed.gif
    :
    : ;-)
    :
    : Happy Thanksgiving Amir!
    :
    : Jef
    :
    :

    Amir Facade, Nov 25, 2005
  16. Magnusfarce

    Amir Facade Guest

    ROTFLMAO
    Wow. That picture never dies.
    Amir

    : |

    Amir Facade, Nov 25, 2005
  17. Amir Facade wrote:

    | ROTFLMAO
    | Wow. That picture never dies.
    | Amir

    I could blow the original up to poster size and sell it on the web maybe?

    Think of the applications: baby's nursery (by the diaper pail, of course),
    the bathroom ("splatter" from too much drinking wouldn't matter anymore),
    the garage (on the floor, to sop up oil drips), the basement (under kitty's
    litter box), and on and on. The possibilities are endless .. anywhere
    design and nausea go hand-in-hand!

    In the meantime, feel free to use it anywhere you see fit. The world must
    be warned!

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    Jef

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®, Nov 25, 2005
  18. Magnusfarce

    TomG Guest

    again, LOL!!!

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    "Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®"

    TomG, Nov 25, 2005
  19. TomG wrote:

    | again, LOL!!!

    No matter how many times I tell 'em, those Qed's just won't take "NO" for an
    answer.

    Last time I gave in to disaster the pool looked like it had sh¡t in it for
    months!

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    Jef

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®, Nov 25, 2005