Gray screen Powerbook G4 867, doubtful hardware problem...

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Paul Soderman, Jun 10, 2007.

  1. My Titanium G4 867 Powerbook has acted a little flaky lately, only
    showing a gray screen on startup a few times, then ultimately starting
    properly. I now am unable to get it past the gray screen so as to boot
    at all. I doubt that there is a hardware problem, as I got the PB to
    start OK in Target Disk mode and used my G4 desktop to run Disk
    Utility, Disk Warrior and finally to reinstall Tiger (updated to
    10.4.9) so as to rule out those potential problems. None of those
    utilities indicated any problem with the drive in the Powerbook.

    The research I've done led me to fell that it could be the Power
    Manager, so I reset that too, to no avail. The issue is not likely
    with the screen itself, since I've held down the option key to check
    to make sure that the Startup Disk was properly set and the screen
    would briefly show the startup drive and the arrow button, but then
    would go away before I could even move the cursor to respond. Also, in
    running the PB in Target Disk Mode, you could see the yellow Target
    Disk mode symbol briefly on the screen before the return to gray.

    The PB makes noises as though the drive is being accessed, but nothing
    happens beyond the gray screen. Are there any recommendations which
    might help me to identify and resolve this issue?

    Thanks much for any help!
    Paul

    Paul Soderman, Jun 10, 2007

  2. Paul Soderman

    Tim Murray Guest

    What about starting up from CD or DVD? And do you have a TechTools disc?

    Tim Murray, Jun 11, 2007

  3. I do have TechTool Pro, but haven't tried it yet; in attempting to
    have the Powerbook boot up, I've inserted the Tiger install disc, as
    well as DiskWarrior, however, the PB does not start up from the disc
    even though I hold down the "C" key when restarting. As noted in the
    original post, the drive appears OK when in Target Disk mode and I
    even see the Apple logo for a second when attempting to start up.

    Paul Soderman, Jun 11, 2007
  4. Paul Soderman

    Tim Murray Guest

    I'd take a shot at that. Further, I always stress the importance of a decent
    external hard disk ... and now you have an excuse to get one. Make it
    bootable, and see if you can boot from it.
    - Command+v: Start in verbose mode
    - x: Force startup (whatever the heck that is)
    - t: FireWire target disk mode
    - Option+Command+Shift_Delete: seek a different startup volume (as in
    your new external drive)
    - r: Force screen reset
    - Shift: Safe mode
    - Option+Command+p+r: Reset parameter RAM

    Tim Murray, Jun 11, 2007
  5. Paul Soderman

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    I'm a strong advocate of having a bootable clone of my regularly booted hard
    drive. Such a clone is easily created and maintained by SuperDuper! -- I
    recommend paying the $30 so that you can do the so-called "smart backups"
    which only take a few minutes to bring the clone into synch with the
    regularly booted drive. I hate to think of the times my, er, uh, "sitter" has
    been saved because of that clone.

    TaliesinSoft, Jun 11, 2007
  6. Paul Soderman

    Nashton Guest

    If you can't even boot from the install disks, it's probably hardware
    related. If you've zapped the PRAM, try removing RAM and attempt to see
    if it boots with one stick and then try the other, if you have more than
    1 stick of RAM. If not, try to get some from a local store to try it out.
    Could also be a display issue if you were able to do so much via TDM.

    Don't forget to ground yourself and turn your computer off and/or unplug
    it from the mains before removing RAM, just in case you didn't know.

    HTH

    Nashton, Jun 11, 2007
  7. FWIW, while I was quite frustrated and couldn't figure out how or why
    the Powerbook could show some stuff on the screen, yet have a screen
    problem, or have the drive appear and work on a desktop in Target Disk
    mode, yet possibly a drive problem, but not start up properly or at
    all from the disk drive, I may have stumbled onto a solution. I took
    out the battery for a day and then reinserted it. Tonight the PB works
    OK. I don't know why, but it does. The drive is burning a CD right now
    as the laptop recharges the battery (I don't know how it managed to
    discharge since I had it in the PB at all times while trying to get
    the thing started and it should have been properly charged at all
    times).

    Who cares? As long as it works......

    Thanks again for all of the suggestions and for your time!

    Paul

    Paul Soderman, Jun 13, 2007
  8. Paul Soderman

    Tim Murray Guest