    Silver III grease that I would prefer to use. Anybody know of a reason why
    I should not use the Arctic Silver ??

    MP

    MP, May 23, 2004

  2. MP

    RonK Guest

    No reason not to use it.

    RonK, May 23, 2004

  3. MP

    Ixnei Guest

    Because in a year or two you will probably have to remove the heatsink,
    clean boths surfaces, and re-apply new grease (as opposed to doing nothing
    if you use the factory pad)?

    --
    We HAVE been at war with Iraq for 13 years now, bombing their
    country on at least a weekly basis.

    Ixnei, May 23, 2004
  4. MP

    snoozy Guest

    Bullsh!t

    I've installed Arctic Silver under my Pentium 4 2.8C processor a year ago.
    The chip sensor indicates the same die temperature now as it did then.
    The thermal interface has not degraded at all.

    One reason to not use Arctic Silver instead is because of the warranty
    issues you can get into with Intel in the very unlikely instance that the cpu
    should fail.

    BTW, it is a bad idea to remove the cpu/heatsink unless you absolutely have
    to.
    you stand an excellent chance of bending pins and damaging the zif socket.
    The thermal interface sticks firmly to the cpu, including the intel pad and
    they don't separate easily. Leave it be once installed.

    snoozy, May 23, 2004
  5. MP

    Slug Guest

    What warranty isssue? I'm not obligated to use their HSF, am I? They
    warrant the cpu and I can use any HSF I choose is how I see it.

    Slug, May 24, 2004
  6. MP

    netreaper Guest

    I would agree with Slug, an OEM cpu comes without a heatsink,
    so you must provide you own heatsink of your choice.

    netreaper, May 24, 2004
  7. MP

    Leon Rowell Guest

    I would presume the HS/FAN has to meet their specs to keep the
    warranty in effect.... But!! Intel OEM or "tray" packaged parts only
    have a warranty through the reseller anyway and they can basically
    make it whatever they want.

    Leon Rowell

    Leon Rowell, May 24, 2004
  8. MP

    borolad Guest

    Info only :

    AMD allow ' Shin Estu G 749 ' for ' evaluation purposes ' only, the
    exception to the rule is the ' Opteron ', here they recommend ' Etsu G
    749 ' for permanent installation.

    -Reason is thermal pumpout !
    -Only applies to retail boxed chips
    -There is no warranty at all on OEM chips

    BoroLad

    borolad, May 24, 2004
  9. MP

    TomG Guest

    with an OEM version, you would be correct. with the retail boxed version,
    not. the retail boxed version usually has a completely different warranty
    than the OEM version anyway.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, May 24, 2004
  10. MP

    borolad Guest

    Clarification then Tom - you are saying that grease rather than TIM's
    on the PIB's do not invalidate AMD's [ not supplier ] warranty ?

    BoroLad

    borolad, May 24, 2004
  11. MP

    TomG Guest

    I have to beg off on that one as I have never become familiar with AMD's
    warranty. apologies if it sounded like that was the direction I was
    headed... I have a funny feeling that AMD and Intel, both, would say that
    the TIM needed to be in place with a retail boxed version of the CPU.

    TomG, May 24, 2004
  12. MP

    borolad Guest

    'S ok mate, I genuinely thought I'd missed something.

    Respect, BoroLad

    borolad, May 24, 2004