Green SATA HD Install on XP/A7N8X Dlx

Discussion in 'Asus' started by markjen, Oct 21, 2003.

  1. markjen

    markjen Guest

    Hi, I know there has been a bunch of posts on this, but if someone can give
    me a concise step-by-step on how to do a SATA HD install on a green./new
    A7N8X Dlx mobo (1005 Bios) with only the SATA drive, I'd appreciate it.

    I've got the system up and running in the BIOS setup and booting from a DOS
    floppy. It appears that it recognizes the SATA drive (a Seagate Barracude
    7200.7 120GB) in that it puts up a message about the drive just before
    attemping to boot from the HD. (The BIOS seems to know nothing about the
    drive in the IDE stuff, but I assume this is normal.) Of course, it
    eventually fails to boot with a "No System disk" error since the drive is
    green. I'm unclear at this point exactly what to do to get XP installed on
    the HD: Boot Seagate's Disk Wizard from floppy to do the low-level
    partioning and formatting, get SATA drivers onto a floppy from the ASUS CD
    for use by Windows XP (which ones?), or simply start the XP install and hope
    that it has the drivers to do the format and install. The Seagate support
    pages talks about getting drivers ready during the early part of XP install,
    but the doesn't provide the drivers - I assume they think you should get
    them from the system/mobo provider. The drive had no docs whatsoever. I'm
    not sure whether my XP CD has SP1 either - it is about one-year old.

    Thanks,

    - Mark

    markjen, Oct 21, 2003

  2. markjen

    Chris C Guest

    Hi, F6 at the first start-up screen, with the floppy in, the select 's' and
    load the XP drivers, keep the floppy in....
    Chris C

    Chris C, Oct 21, 2003

  3. markjen

    markjen Guest

    Hi, F6 at the first start-up screen, with the floppy in, the select 's'
    and
    Thanks for help. So I use the drivers off the mobo CD? Another post
    mentioned:

    TxtSetup.oem
    Si3112r.inf
    Si3112r.mpd
    Si3112r.sys
    SIISUPP.VXD

    which I see in the root of the Drivers/SATA folder on the CD. Look right?

    - Mark

    markjen, Oct 21, 2003
  4. markjen

    IanDunbar Guest

    Get the latest SATA drivers here; http://tinyurl.com/rs17
    And if you want the latest Bios including updated SATA bios go here;
    http://tinyurl.com/rs1h scroll down the list and find your mobo revision and
    download the correct bios.

    HTH

    IanDunbar, Oct 21, 2003
  5. markjen

    markjen Guest

    Get the latest SATA drivers here; http://tinyurl.com/rs17
    Thanks. I ended up using the files off the mobo CD and I'm formatting the
    drive from the XP install program as I type. Maybe I'll upgrade BIOS and
    drivers later, but right now I'm trying to keep things as simple as
    possible.

    This stuff is NOT straightforward - I was getting some kind of strange
    conflicts between the CD/DVD IDE device, the HD just disappeared from view
    of the system for awhile, and I still am getting random hangs at "Verify DMI
    Pool" which have caused me to disable floppy booting to get it to boot from
    the CD. And I occasionally still get a memory check failure in the POST
    which has me worried the perhaps my 3200 CL3 memory (rather than the
    recommended 3200 CL2.5 memory) is the root cause of randomness. But I keep
    trying different things and eventually a combo works. I'm moving forward.

    - Mark

    markjen, Oct 21, 2003
  6. markjen

    Chris C Guest

    Hi, download memtest86 from here http://www.memtest86.com/ bott from the
    floppy it's created and run the tests for obout an hour. If you get any
    errors soften the memory setting and re-run memtest. If you still get errors
    then return the module back to the supplier....
    Chris C

    Chris C, Oct 22, 2003