  1. Skybuck Flying

    krw Guest

    Better; bump it off the table and see which way he moves.

    krw, May 31, 2011

  2. Skybuck Flying

    krw Guest

    There's the door. ;-)

    krw, Jun 1, 2011

  3. Skybuck Flying

    Jim Thompson Guest

    I grabbed a soldering iron from the wrong end... once. Because I
    reached without looking. Never done that again :-(

    Though a few weeks ago I grabbed a skewer of scallops from the barby
    that slipped off my tongs :-(

    Discovered an interesting thing... the only cold water available was
    salted water sitting there with green onions in it. Threw them aside
    and stuck my finger in... immediate relief and the blister that had
    started, subsided. Over the next week it became leathery and flaked
    off... but no pain or rawness that often results from such a burn.

    ...Jim Thompson
    --
    | James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
    | Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

    Jim Thompson, Jun 1, 2011
  4. Skybuck Flying

    krw Guest

    Let it fall, then pick it up *after* you've figured out which end is the cold
    end. ;-)

    krw, Jun 1, 2011
  5. Cooling the burn within roughly a minute does that. I slipped and
    burned a serious trench in a fingertip working on a delta Vbe
    thermometer. Dunked it instantly in the icebath, and it never even
    really hurt, just healed up like it never happened.

    Apparently it takes time for the heat to penetrate, and to cook your
    meat dead. Quick cooling minimizes the damage.

    I've used the same trick several times since. Handy. Just yesterday,
    in fact.

    dagmargoodboat, Jun 1, 2011
  6. Skybuck Flying

    krw Guest

    If that's what you call running from imminent danger, sure.
    I wouldn't have, knowing I was in a work area. I don't play mumblety-peg,
    either.

    krw, Jun 1, 2011
  7. Skybuck Flying

    krw Guest

    Yup. I burned my arm on the upper rack of the oven once. I immediately put
    ice on the offending spot. No blisters at all, except about 2" lower down
    where I also scraped the rack, but didn't feel it because of the bigger spot.
    The lower spot hurt like hell for a couple of days. The larger spot didn't
    even blister.
    Works for sunburn, too.
    Water is good. Ice is much better.

    krw, Jun 1, 2011
  8. Skybuck Flying

    krw Guest

    Oh, I was going to add, *never* use butter or grease. That makes it 10x
    worse. Neo-Sporin, or such, can be used *after* it's cooled down.

    krw, Jun 1, 2011
  9. Skybuck Flying

    krw Guest

    Some are suicidal, yes, and not everyone is stupid enough to catch a falling
    soldering iron (of knife).
    And if it were a knife?

    krw, Jun 2, 2011
  10. Skybuck Flying

    krw Guest

    You said you caught it, I certainly wouldn't have. If that's a troll, it's
    yours.
    ....and you lunge for it. Nope, *not* a good plan.

    krw, Jun 3, 2011
  11. Skybuck Flying

    Gil Guest

    Sigh....it's because of people like you that Usenet is dying. Why do you
    have to make a 'one-up-man-ship' of everything. You have a reputation of
    doing this on any news group you're involved in.

    By the way, if I was interviewing the two of you for a job I'd be hiring
    the other guy. He at least takes action and tries to help when something
    happens instead of standing back doing nothing and criticizing others.

    Gil, Jun 4, 2011
  12. I haven't read any of the rest of this thread - but I dare say your assumption
    is wrong that that is gender based. Most of the time something falls off a
    bench in my house it's a knife, or in the wood-shop something that will
    otherwise cause injury because of sharp edges. When I note something falling
    off a bench I skip the other way so's not to get hit or cut or punctured.

    It's entirely a question of how you have trained/programmed your reflexes.

    f.w.i.w. -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jun 4, 2011
  13. As Huck Finn found.. "mind you, when a girl tries to catch anything in
    her lap she throws her knees apart; she don't clap them together the
    way you did when you catched the lump of lead".

    At least back then dey dids.

    Best regards,
    Spehro Pefhany

    Spehro Pefhany, Jun 4, 2011
  14. Skybuck Flying

    Neanderthal Guest

    OK, so that was funny. So, the girls used their dress as a trampoline.

    Thanks, Mr. Twain.

    Neanderthal, Jun 4, 2011
  15. Skybuck Flying

    Metspitzer Guest

    I would look at it as.....if you are in a room with expensive bench
    tools and equipment, you train yourself to catch falling objects.

    Metspitzer, Jun 4, 2011
  16. Skybuck Flying

    krw Guest

    You're obviously not an employer.

    krw, Jun 4, 2011
  17. Skybuck Flying

    krw Guest

    Self preservation *is* a reflex. Jumping at everything that moves is dumb.
    You went for an unknown something that was falling. Bad move.
    Bad move.
    You're sounding like DimBulb, today.

    krw, Jun 4, 2011
  18. Skybuck Flying

    krw Guest

    Absolutely. It can be picked up once the situation can be analyzed.
    Yup!

    krw, Jun 4, 2011
  19. Skybuck Flying

    krw Guest

    A catcher's mitt, as it were. ;-)

    krw, Jun 4, 2011
  20. My grandmother did not pull away, but caught falling things when
    possible. I never saw my mother drop or knock down many things where I
    saw time to give much reaction, but she seems to lean to catch things.
    Exception: Things falling from the stove, which was thankfully
    infrequent.

    Don Klipstein, Jun 4, 2011