    can the gtx 650 run 3 19in 1280x1024 monitors simultainously
    mostly for flt sim type of games

    --

    donut, Aug 5, 2013

  2. donut

    Chris S. Guest

    Four (4) displays are supported...

    Chris

    Chris S., Aug 5, 2013

  3. donut

    Paul Guest

    This stuff is pretty hard to figure out. So don't take
    my answer as definitive. There might be some way of
    doing it, that I missed. (One of the reasons this
    post is so long, is I *did* miss something...)

    *******

    I see three connectors. I expect that means, you can use any
    two of three, as in "regular dual head operation". Single
    cards (at least, ones with a single GPU on them), run dual head.
    [Or so I thought, until I got to the end of this post...]

    http://www.pclaunches.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/nvidia_geforce_gtx_650.jpg

    NVidia provides this page, for 2D Surround and 3D Surround mode.
    The GTX650, in 2-way SLI, does not support 3D Surround. Maybe the
    latest driver doesn't allow it, for performance reasons ? Notice
    that if you enter GTX660 2-way SLI in the config menu, it allows it.

    http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/3dvision-surround/system-requirements

    The 2-way SLI solution involved, would mean buying a second card.
    Benefit is, any game used, thinks it is playing in a 3840x1024
    single screen. That's what 3D Surround buys you.

    *******

    Background info.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-monitor

    "Hybrid Span mode

    This is a technique that allows using multiple GPUs to create
    a single unified display, and this is a more modern approach to
    utilizing multi-monitor displays. The two main companies involved
    in this market, AMD and nVidia, use the same technique of grouping
    all monitors together to, in essence, trick the computer into using
    one large spanned resolution, eliminating the need for special software
    patches.

    AMD's EyeFinity, or more specifically SLS (Single Large Surface),
    creates a large, spanned resolution across three and up to six monitors.

    nVidia's approach to this is called "Surround" and it also creates
    a large, spanned resolution; however, it only supports three monitors.
    "

    "Matrox, a third hardware supplier providing both multi-display
    add-in boards and a series of external multi-display upgrade units
    known as DualHead2Go and TripleHead2Go."

    You could run one connector from the video card, to a DuakHead2Go
    and try to do it that way.

    GTX650 --------- Connector#2 ----- DualHead2Go
    Connector#1 | |
    | | |
    1280x1024 1280x1024 1280x1024

    It means the second connector on the GTX650, would run 2560x1024.
    You *must* verify, using the Matrox charts or their fancy
    config software tool, whether a given config will work.

    There are various models of Dual Head. This one uses VGA on input,
    so you go DVI-I to VGA to get into the box. And then can go DVI-I on output.
    $220. That's cheaper than one of the TripleHead models. That's
    why I selected it. (It turns out, you can buy a replacement
    video card, perfectly good for the job, for the same price...)

    http://www.amazon.com/Matrox-DualHead2Go-Digital-Edition-D2G-A2D-IF/dp/B000QRTHX8

    http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/dh2go/digital/

    That's the best I could select out of this lot.
    http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/

    They have a configuration tool. You install this in Windows,
    and it tells you what products will work. Presumably, none of
    their new products that use DisplayPort (I don't see DisplayPort
    on your GTX650).

    http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/support/drivers/download/gxm/tool/

    You would use such a solution, if the motherboard wasn't set up for
    SLI (two big PCI Express slots). Based on the NVidia lacking a
    3D Surround for 2-way SLI with GTX650, otherwise it would take
    a pair of different cards to do it (ones that *are* listed in
    the configuration tool).

    *******

    Would this work ? This is "non-SLI" so SLI is not enabled.

    GTX650 #1 GTX650 #2
    | | | |
    1280x1024 1280x1024 1280x1024 1280x1024

    I really don't know the answer to that :)

    I've run a pair of matched cards, with four monitors, but I
    didn't try gaming on it. I don't think I have any games, that
    would operate at that resolution. You could run three or four
    monitors that way. One thing that did happen to me, is
    the monitor mapping, changed mid-session when I was running
    my setup, such that the left two and right two monitors
    got confused. (I had to go back into the Display Control
    panel and move the monitor IDs around.)

    It's also possible, the game would need to be "multi-monitor
    aware" for a configuration like that to work. Whereas the
    3D Surround method (on 2-way SLI), probably looks like
    a single monitor to the game.

    *******

    This site has a gallery of "cobbled together" multiple
    monitor configurations. But I don't see a lot of
    3D info here, for games. This is mostly for 2D desktop
    stuff, or for real time stock charts.

    http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/gallery_browse.asp?ID=954&date=desc&nummon=false&mon=desc

    *******

    Another place to look, would be on a flight sim site, and
    see what info they have on the cobbled together approach.
    I suspect the two GTX650, in non-SLI, don't necessarily
    stay time-aligned. But what do I know...

    *******

    You can run three monitors off of this.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814103233

    "Eyefinity Support: Yes"

    You would use the two DVI ports, plus get a DisplayPort to
    DVI adapter. And that would run three DVI monitors.

    *******

    Interesting. So NVidia *can* do it. I didn't know this.

    http://www.hardwareheaven.com/revie...locked-graphics-card-review-introduction.html

    "Next up is surround gaming from one card. With the
    GTX 660-690 NVIDIA now allow us to connect three displays
    to one card/GPU and power resolutions such as 5760x1080
    and while doing so we can also enable 3D Vision. As an
    added extra NVIDIA also allow the use of an "accessory"
    display, a fourth screen which can run at the same time
    as our three gaming screens for use on software such as chat,
    mail and browsing applications."

    OK, so why didn't that show up in the Geforce config page ?
    And is "3D Vision" the same thing as "3D Surround" ?

    OK, so it does work. If I load a single GTX 660 in the tool,
    I get what I want from it.

    http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/3dvision-surround/system-requirements

    "Orientation: Landscape
    Accessory Display: Yes, no additional GPU
    Maximum Resolution: 5760x1080
    Maximum Resolution (Bezel Correction): 7680x1080
    Maximum number of displays: 3 in Surround
    1 Accessory Display

    Special Instructions:

    3D Vision Surround requires using three DVI or three DisplayPort connectors

    All monitors must be the same make and model for 3D Vision Surround

    Using DisplayPort connectors may require the use of DisplayPort
    to Dual-link DVI adapters [for above 1920...]. Please consult
    your monitor's manual for supported 3D connectors

    Center Display of the Surround group should be connected to
    the card with most displays.

    Accessory Display must be connected to the card with most
    number of displays.

    You can use any connector to enable the Accessory Display.
    "

    The light-green dots in the diagram, show the Surround connectors.
    I wonder what that top one is ? Looks like DisplayPort.

    http://international.download.nvidi...es/3dsurround/3D-images/680-option2-2d-3d.png
    http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/14-125-443-Z02?$S640W$

    GTX660 (around $194 to $210 for some of them)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125443

    Since the card doesn't come with three DVI connectors,
    you then need to learn about DisplayPort adapters.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Displayport

    "The DisplayPort signal is not compatible with DVI or HDMI.
    However, Dual-Mode DisplayPorts are designed to transmit a
    single-link DVI or HDMI 1.2/1.4 protocol across the interface
    through the use of an external passive adapter"

    Passive = Cheap

    "VGA and dual-link DVI, on the other hand, require active
    adapters to convert the protocol and signal to the desired
    output and do not require dual-mode DisplayPorts."

    DisplayPort to Single Link DVI - will easily do 1280x1024 @ 60Hz. $23
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999031

    So maybe $240 tops, if you were sloppy.

    It's a good thing they make this stuff easy...
    What a minefield to navigate.

    Now, I could buy an ATI card with Eyefinity, for about
    half the price of the GTX660. So there are some other
    options. Then, you'd have to start comparing benchmarks
    for the cards, to figure out which is the right purchase.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 6, 2013