    GTXP almost 4 years ago, and it was a 6.1. Are there physical
    differences between the 6.1 and 7.1 or is it all in the driver?

    Thanks!

    Dan_Musicant, Jan 13, 2005

  2. Dan_Musicant

    Agamemnon Guest

    What software are you using. Are you playing back from DVD and if so which
    player ?
    6.1 and 7.1 are both exactly the same as 5.1 apart from the decoder which
    applies Dolby Surround processing to the 2 rear channels to obtain the
    centre surround channel/s.

    Agamemnon, Jan 20, 2005

  3. Dan_Musicant

    Dan_Musicant Guest

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 20:09:03 -0000, "Agamemnon"

    :
    ::> I'm not getting results when I try to run 5.1 optical or coaxial S/PDIF
    :> into the inputs on the breakout box. The output to my receiver is giving
    :> me only noise. Do the S/PDIF inputs on the GTXP only support stereo?
    :>
    :
    :What software are you using. Are you playing back from DVD and if so which
    :player ?

    The situation is that I have a MyHD DTV/HDTV soundcard and it's optional
    daughterboard in my PC. The daughterboard has an optical output that I
    can run straight to my receiver, but I was trying to run it instead into
    the optical input of my GTXP's breakout box. This resulted only in
    unbearable noise, not distortion, just noise.

    Instead I'm either running the optical directly to my receiver or
    running sound from the MyHD card through my soundcard by using the PCI
    bus. Either work, although I think the optical sounds better.

    What's got me fretting (well, not fretting, but I'd like to solve this)
    is the fact that I'm not getting any response to the EQ in the GTXP
    control panel, whether it's enabled or not. I wonder if this has to do
    with the fact that I've got the GTXP breakout box connected to my
    receiver by S/PDIF (coaxial), instead of using analog outputs. I haven't
    tried hooking up the analog cables because it's a hassle.
    :
    :> I'm running the driver I downloaded a couple of months ago. I bought my
    :> GTXP almost 4 years ago, and it was a 6.1. Are there physical
    :> differences between the 6.1 and 7.1 or is it all in the driver?
    :
    :6.1 and 7.1 are both exactly the same as 5.1 apart from the decoder which
    :applies Dolby Surround processing to the 2 rear channels to obtain the
    :centre surround channel/s.

    So, basically you're saying that my GTXP is the same as the one's
    they're selling now as 7.1, only the driver has changed?

    Thanks!

    Dan

    Dan_Musicant, Feb 14, 2005
  4. Dan_Musicant

    Agamemnon Guest

    Ah... that's because its not possible to record Dolby 5.1 or anything except
    PCM on your sound card. If you try to resample a 5.1 encoded stream as PCM
    all the encoding will be lost.
    Dolby 5.1 records 5 audio channels separately on a DVD. 6.1 and 7.1 also
    record only 5 channels therefore any DVD player with a digital 5.1 output
    will supply 6.1 and 7.1 data as well.
    ..

    Agamemnon, Feb 14, 2005
  5. Dan_Musicant

    Dan_Musicant Guest

    -snip-
    :
    :What's got me fretting (well, not fretting, but I'd like to solve this)
    :is the fact that I'm not getting any response to the EQ in the GTXP
    :control panel, whether it's enabled or not. I wonder if this has to do
    :with the fact that I've got the GTXP breakout box connected to my
    :receiver by S/PDIF (coaxial), instead of using analog outputs. I haven't
    :tried hooking up the analog cables because it's a hassle.
    ::
    -snip-

    I posted at Hercules online and got a response. They confirmed that
    S/PDIF output from the GTXP does not support EQ. IOW, presumably if I
    start using the analog outs I will have my EQ support.

    Dan

    Dan_Musicant, Feb 18, 2005