Guess I need some help please :(

Discussion in 'ATI' started by pjp, Feb 23, 2004.

  1. pjp

    pjp Guest

    History of pc first.

    Tyan S1854 mb using a PIII at 733mz, 384 megs ram at 133fs, running 98SE.

    System started with just a Radeon 64 DDR VIVO (agp) in it. Initial ATI
    software install off cd went smoothly with everything working as expected
    afterwards. Once insuring this, placed a Xpert98 is system and installed
    just it's driver (after discovering how terrible ATI's install is when more
    than one ATI card in system). All worked well for long time.

    Then along comes DEMAND to upgrade to DX9, damn games argh!!! :)

    I basically lost ATI's Video-in working (3rd party apps could still use
    it???). Tried to then update driver and MMC which just made it worse,
    resulting in "nothing" being able to use the Video-in. All else seems well,
    e.g. games all still run fine. I've deleted everything ATI etc. reverting
    right back to plain old VGA, have removed the Xpert (second) video card and
    cleaned out all ATI remnants and started over with still same result.

    Ok, seemed like a good time to setup XP and do a dual-boot just to see how
    it acts on this system.

    XP's install went smoothly and it all came up as expected. I then very
    carefully followed instructions, installed DX9.0b, WMEncoder, Cat 4.2 and
    MMC 8.9 and still no video-in, ATI's Video-In software just silently
    terminating. WDM driver must be working though as "other" software can
    monitor the video-in, e.g. Messenger and the like. 3d accel seems fine etc.,
    e.g. few tested games run fine.

    Ideas appreciated.

    pjp, Feb 23, 2004

  2. pjp

    DaveW Guest

    Your video card is NOT DX9 capable.

    DaveW, Feb 24, 2004

  3. pjp

    J. Clarke Guest

    Leaving aside the question of whether that is or is not the case, what
    bearing would it have on the problems described?

    J. Clarke, Feb 24, 2004
  4. pjp

    pjp Guest

    That's my thought also?

    As it is and because I've delayed it too long and because of this problem I
    finally got around to installing a dual-boot 98SE/XP system.

    Under XP, I installed tha Cat 4.2 driver set. All appears well, the Rage
    Theatre, WDM capture ... stuff all appears properly installed. However,
    after installing MMC 8.9 it fails initializing the "video-in". Don't
    understand why as 3rd party apps are having no probems with it (yippe can
    finally use camcorder and video-in rather than cheap webcam in Messenger).
    Is that a known problem? If so, any resolution? As all I want of MMC is the
    video-in I deleted it.

    As far as "Your video card is NOT DX9 capable." That implies that to run any
    DX9 game requires one to have the latest and greatest video card. All I can
    add is that I've updated the fresh XP Pro install to DX9.0b and nothing
    seems out of the ordinary. In fact FS2004, Link 2004, Halo, NFS:U, Enclave,
    Magic Battlegrounds, Jedi Academy, BF1942 and a few more all are running
    just fine. In fact, one game V-Rally3 is now playable under XP although I
    don't yet know if the OS/DX9 and/or the updated video card drivers The
    game would stutter too badly under the old driver and 98SE.

    I'll give it some time as a dual-boot but suspect it won't be long before
    it's an fdisk and just boot using the XP cd. Dual-boot allows me to easily
    recover while finding out what the real world switch will bring.

    Besides the MMC problem (although I do have video-in working again) the only
    other task is getting my lpt port scanner to work when there's only 2K
    drivers available for it.

    pjp, Feb 24, 2004
  5. pjp

    J. Clarke Guest

    I forgot to ask, where do you live? If you're in an area that uses PAL and
    not NTSC Microsoft has a patch that you need in order to use video in.

    J. Clarke, Feb 24, 2004
  6. pjp

    pjp Guest

    Nope NTSC in NS, Canada.

    I'm getting close now to seeing if I can re-insert my Xpert and get both
    98SE and XP back up running dual-monitors.

    Delima is that once the second card's in system, ATI's installs don't!

    P.S. Scanners now working so that's all my hardware working under XP. Looks
    like 98SE's days are numbered on this pc.

    pjp, Feb 24, 2004
  7. pjp

    Darthy Guest

    While you have stated up play some games... you should see those games
    run on a modern setup... DX9 quality graphics is beyond the hardware
    ability of your CPU & video card.

    The games look a lot better on a new card with horse power to deliver.

    Darthy, Feb 26, 2004