    The New guy Guest

    Does it really make any difference in speed or reliability?
    If I use Bootcamp should it be MBR?

    The New guy, Feb 8, 2008

  2. The New guy

    David Empson Guest

    I doubt it would make any difference as far as speed is concerned.
    No. GUID works fine.

    In fact, GUID includes an MBR-compatible "header" to allow it to work
    with older operating systems (for selected partitions).

    Using MBR might prevent you from being able to install a firmware update
    (which apparently requires GUID on Intel Macs), so I wouldn't recommend
    it for your startup drive.

    David Empson, Feb 9, 2008

  3. The New guy

    The New guy Guest

    So I wonder.....what is MBR really for? Who uses it and for what?

    The New guy, Feb 10, 2008
  4. The New guy

    The New guy Guest

    So how does Windows write to a HFS Journaled partition? Or is it
    partitioned NTFS? And can a partition be GUID and NTFS?
    I'm a little thick I guess....
    Foreign operating system? Could someone give an example? Do you mean
    Windows?

    The New guy, Feb 10, 2008
  5. The New guy

    David Empson Guest

    I don't have time to answer in detail now, but you are confusing two
    concepts.

    The partition scheme defines how the entire drive is structured and
    subdivided into partitions, e.g. it specifies what the data structures
    look like in physical block zero on the drive, and the subsequent
    blocks, which typically define what partitions are present, where they
    are located, and what file systems they contain.

    There are three different partition schemes supported by the Mac:

    MBR (Master Boot Record) is the historical one used by MS-DOS and
    Windows. The Mac supports it mainly for exchanging data with older
    versions of Windows, and for shared devices like flash drives which
    typically use MBR partitioning.

    APM (Apple Partition Map) is the historical one used by Apple (and is
    standard on all PowerPC Macs). It is not supported by Windows (without
    third party software).

    GUID is the modern one use by Intel Macs, and by other PCs which have
    EFI firmware instead of BIOS. GUID is too new to be supported by
    anything other than Windows Vista (and presumably recent verions of
    Linux), so GUID typically makes use of a "fake MBR" at the start of the
    drive to allow partial compatibility with older operating systems.

    They get more advanced as you down the list - GUID is the most
    complicated and powerful scheme.

    The file system that appears within each partition is a separate issue.
    You can generally use any file system with any partition scheme, but
    some combinations are less useful. For example, a FAT (MS-DOS) partition
    on an APM drive would not be accessible by Windows unless you have
    third-party software installed (e.g. MacDrive).

    Mac OS Extended (HFS Plus) is also not supported by Windows without
    third party software, no matter which partitioning scheme you used.

    David Empson, Feb 10, 2008