    Device" in the BIOS.

    Can someone help me? Thanks in advance!
    Keith

    news.columbus.rr.com, Aug 5, 2005

  2. news.columbus.rr.com

    S.Lewis Guest

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/Systems/opgx110/ens/ug/setupopt.htm#primary_secondary_drive_n

    Hmm. Provided there are no bent pins in the drive itself, provided the
    data/IDE ribbon cable isn't damaged or bad, and provided the power connect
    from the power supply is good, that leaves only the jumpering (which you've
    done /CS ) and setting the BIOS to "auto" for the secondary IDE....

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Aug 5, 2005

  3. what stew said plus these thoughts...
    i am suspicious as to why the cd drive was missing in the first place. i
    mean if it did not have a blank panel in the slot perhaps it was removed for
    testing and the problem lies in the secondary ide controller on the
    motherboard that the cd was once connect to. i suggest replacing the
    primary ide cable with one that supports two devices and connecting both the
    hard disk and the cd drive to that cables (use cs, and make the hard dish
    the primary device by connecting it to the connector at the end of the
    cable). this is not an ideal set up from both a performance perspective and
    because of the case you have (you will not be able to reassemble the case
    with this cabling configuration). but this will allow you to load the os
    and help isolate the problem as being related to the secondary controller or
    not.

    Christopher Muto, Aug 5, 2005
  4. I got it to work. I tried putting the CD on the end of the ribbon on the
    secondary IDE with both set to CS and that did the trick.

    I forgot about that part about using the end of the ribbon cable. I had it
    on the middle connector.

    This system never had the CD drive in it. (Faceplate in in place.) I am
    setting this up for my young kids to play with, so I will probably just use
    an external USB CD drive once I load XP.

    Question: Is this a proprietary CD ROM drive? Naturally a 5.25" drive
    won't work, but what kind will? I have a spare laptop drive from one of my
    ThinkPads, but I don't have the correct IDE cable to fit on drive end. Is
    that the kind of drive these machines use?

    Thanks a lot for your help!
    Keith

    news.columbus.rr.com, Aug 5, 2005
  5. there is nothing proprietary about the cd rom drive. why not just pick up a
    cheap drive to put in there. and forgo the external one and related issues
    (external power supply, cables, desk space). a combo dvd (player) / cdrw
    (recorder) can be had for $30 at newegg.com (toshiba combo dvd/cdrw inbeige
    to match the optiples for $25 + $4 shipping part number N82E16827130028).
    and this week circuit city has a lite on dvd-r on sale for $40 after rebate
    (over kill, but a good value). this way the kids can play their movies on
    it too...

    Christopher Muto, Aug 5, 2005
  6. news.columbus.rr.com

    Mark Dunn Guest

    You've already found this out, but I tried getting a second HDD recognised
    and could only make it work by putting it on the CDROM channel, contrary to
    all the usual advice, where it worked fine.

    Mark Dunn, Aug 5, 2005
  7. It looks like with the small chasis you can't simply install a standard
    5.25" drive. This is not the tower system with the standard bays. Rather
    it is the small form factor chasis. In the pictures I have seen, it always
    looked like these machines with the small form factor chasis used a drive
    more like a latptop drive rather than a standard 5.25" drive. I will look
    at it more closely in case I am mistaken, but I think that is the case.

    I agree with your points. It would be easier and I have several spare
    CD/DVD burners I could use - if they will fit.

    Thanks, Keith

    news.columbus.rr.com, Aug 6, 2005