GX240 / GX 260 questions

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Tom Scales, Aug 29, 2005.

  1. Tom Scales

    Tom Scales Guest

    Well, while sitting in the hospital, I've been trolling ebay for a couple
    computers for my home automation project. I picked up two inexpensive
    computers.

    The first is a SFF GX240. It is a P4-1.8 with 256MB. From what I can
    research, it can handle much faster chips. I also am guessing it is USB1.1
    (likely similar to the Dimension 4400 or 4500). I also believe it used
    PC144 SDRAM (surprising for a P4, but I believe Crucial)

    The second is a mini-tower GX260. I am guessing this one is equivalent to my
    Dimesion 4550, as it has USB2 ports and uses PC2100/2700 memory.

    OK, so the questions are:

    1) What's the fastest processor each will accept
    2) What form factor is the processor
    3) What 'type'. I read Northwood, etc. and have no clue what any of that
    means (I know it is the series, but how do you identify them?)

    Thanks!

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Aug 29, 2005

  2. Tom Scales

    Ben Myers Guest

    Tom,

    Off the top of my head, I know that both systems have Socket 478s. The rest I
    would have to research out. If the GX240 uses PC133 SDRAM, it is restricted to
    400MHz FSB. I think that the fastest 400MHz P4 is 2.2GHz or so, and the fastest
    Celery is either 2.7 or 2.8GHz... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 29, 2005

  3. Tom Scales

    S.Lewis Guest

    GX240:

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx240/en/ug/specs.htm#1106346

    Fastest P4 will probably be the 2.6/400mhz. Or, as Ben said, the Celery
    2.8/400mhz.

    GX260:

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx260/en/ug/specs.htm#1110653

    Looks like the equivalent to the Dim4400; meaning 400mhz FSB only - no
    533mhz like the Dim4550. Same CPU specs would probably hold true. Natively
    uses PC2100 DDR, but can also use PC2700 at slower speeds.

    Beware pricing of PC133 SDRAM.....

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Aug 30, 2005
  4. Tom Scales

    Tom Scales Guest

    The specs say 400/533 for the bus for the GX260, which led me to use the
    4550 comparison.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Aug 30, 2005
  5. Tom Scales

    Pen Guest

    Since both systems use the 845 chipset their abilities
    should be
    similar and perhaps the info available here might be of help
    in
    selecting a new cpu.
    http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/cs-009236.htm

    Pen, Aug 30, 2005
  6. Tom Scales

    Ben Myers Guest

    Depending on the variant of 845 chip and the overall motherboard design, some
    845 chipset boards can handle CPUs running at 800MHz FSB. Others top out at
    533. Those with 168-pin DIMMs, not SDRAM, can handle only CPUs at 400MHz FSB.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 30, 2005
  7. Tom Scales

    Tom Scales Guest

    OK, I'm getting confused. Dell's doc on the GX260 says 400 or 533. The
    GX240 uses SDRAM and I am guessing you mean it is limited to 400.

    Regardless, CPUs are EXPENSIVE. I'll likely leave it alone unless someone
    has a suggestion for a cheap source. All the ones that I can find cost more
    than I paid for the systems.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Aug 30, 2005
  8. Tom Scales

    S.Lewis Guest

    Right. If my memory serves correctly, the Dimension 4500 and 4550 were
    essentially separated by support for 400mhz and 533mhz FSB CPUs.

    Just for safety and $$$ sake, I'd stick with 400mhz FSB chips unless someone
    gave me a 3.06/533mhz they didn't want :)

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Aug 30, 2005
  9. Tom Scales

    Ben Myers Guest

    Yes, if the GX240 uses SDRAM, its supported CPUs are limited to 400Mhz FSB. I'm
    not sure about the GX260, although I have a GX260 board and some 533MHz FSB P4
    CPUs here that I could play with if I had the time. I think I would trust
    Dell's documentation, which seems to be very accurate.

    Yes, CPUs ARE expensive. If you track CPU prices through a life cycle, they are
    very expensive when they are top-of-the-line state-of-the-art, then the price
    drops, but kicks up again when the model goes out of production. Same with
    memory. Checked SDRAM prices lately? More expensive than DDR... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 30, 2005
  10. Tom Scales

    Ben Myers Guest

    One more thing about price curves. At some point, CPUs (and memory) become
    almost totally obsolete, rarely used in serious computing, interesting to
    hobbyists and a few others who relish being on the trailing edge. At that
    point, prices plummet to something barely above scrap value.

    I remember selling some company 4MB 30-pin SIMMs for $50 apiece not too long
    ago, and they were ecstatic to pay such a low price. Now you can melt them down
    for scrap. Same with 60MHz Socket 4 Pentium chips, which always ran too hot
    anyway, and they got Intel started down the path of lower voltage CPUs.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 30, 2005
  11. Tom Scales

    Tom Scales Guest

    I found a good ebay price on both SDRAM and DDR. Bought 512mb for the GX240
    (takes it to 768) and 1GB for the GX260 (takes it to 1.25 GB).

    Got any CPUs laying around you want to sell at a good price :)

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Aug 30, 2005