    System 9 there was a way to change the keyboard commands using ResEdit,
    is there any way to change OS-X?

    tia

    Lumpy, Nov 27, 2004

  2. Lumpy

    matt neuburg Guest

    Under Panther the ability to do make this change is built right in (see
    my ebook, Take Control of Customizing Panther). Under previous Mac OS X
    versions you'll have to use a third-party utility such as QuicKeys. m.

    matt neuburg, Nov 27, 2004

  3. With Panther, see System Preferences --> Keyboard & Mouse --> Keyboard
    shortcuts. Click the "+" sign to add a shortcut. The instructions in
    the resulting window are pretty self-explanatory.

    Tom Harrington, Nov 27, 2004
  4. Lumpy

    Lumpy Guest

    Hmm yes I know but on my system (10.3.6) I can't change the Finder
    command for "New Folder" back to Command-N. In fact, it won't accept
    "Command"-anything, although shift, option etc. is allowed.

    I'd prefer to switch the current Finder commands for "New Folder" and
    "New Finder Window" to command-N and command-shift-N consecutively. The
    default configuration is the opposite, and I can't find a hack or
    workaround. Thanks

    Lumpy, Nov 27, 2004
  5. You can do this by editing ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist.
    This is much easier to do with Property List Editor, if you have
    installed the Xcode Tools, than with a plain text editor. You might want
    to store a copy of the original file before you edit it. (Quotation
    marks in the following instructions should not be included in the
    entries themselves.)

    In the Property List Editor window for com.apple.finder.plist, select
    Root and expand it (click on its disclosure triangle or hit the right
    arrow key). Scroll down and look for an item named "NSUserKeyEqivalents"
    in the Property List column. If it already exists, jump to the next
    paragraph in these instructions. Otherwise, with Root still selected,
    click New Child on the button bar and name the resulting new item
    "NSUserKeyEquivalents". Assign it to the class Dictionary using the
    pop-up selector just to the left of the Value column.

    Select NSUserKeyEquivalents, click New Child in the button bar, name the
    resulting item "New Finder Window", and assign it to the type String
    using the pop-up selector. In its Value field, enter "@$N". Create
    another child of NSUserKeyEquivalents (or a sibling of New Finder
    Window), name it "New Folder", assign it the type of String, and give it
    a Value of "@N".

    Save, quit Property List Editor, and relaunch Finder (or log out and log
    in).

    Neill Massello, Nov 27, 2004