Hang on boot when USB device plugged in

Discussion in 'Asus' started by mporco, Jun 22, 2005.

  1. mporco

    mporco Guest

    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe MB (Pentium 4)
    Windows XP SP2

    For the past few days, if I boot my PC with any USB device plugged in,
    it will freeze when loading Windows. Hang happens regardless of where
    I plug in the device (on-board ports on MB, ports on a USB PCI card,
    front panel ports) and will even hang if booting in Safe Mode. I get
    past the Windows XP logo screen, then the screen goes black and right
    before I would expect the actual login window to appear, the screen
    goes black and I hang. If I boot with no USB devices plugged in,
    everything's fine.

    If I boot up with no USB devices plugged in, then plug in a USB device
    after bootup, the USB device works fine and no hang.

    Boot logging shows lots of driver load successes and failures (in fact,
    lots of duplicate lines which I find puzzling) when USB device is
    plugged in.

    - Tried CHKDSK on all drives
    - Installed latest BIOS (1022)
    - Checked fan speeds, temperatures, and power via AsusProbe(all normal)

    I suspect this is really a Windows XP issue (driver maybe?). I did
    install some security updates before the reboot when I first noticed
    the issue. I reviewed all of the updates and couldn't find any that
    seemed like they could be related though. I may try uninstalling all
    recent updates if I can do so but would like to avoid that if its going
    to be a dead end.

    mporco, Jun 22, 2005

  2. mporco

    sean Guest

    You could try re-installing USB 2.0 but you may have problems tracking it
    down as it has been pulled form Microsoft site. It is included in Service
    Pack 1.

    I know there were some issues created with USB and one of the service packs
    (sorry can't remember details now). Try searching MS knowledge base or
    http://www.usbman.com/

    sean, Jun 22, 2005